Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" Compression driver suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2009 at 5:47pm
good work!

i also use now use BMS units after upgrading from P audio 440's and the difference is staggering, and Tony's a top bloke to deal with too.
seriously under rated drivers IMO, very hi fi indeed.

as for their 18" drivers, thats another story all together.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 12:46am
Kieran, I noticed that you have soldered the connections to the 4524, it is much better to use spade connectors to do this. When I have tried to solder to the spades on this comp. I have noticed that it loosened the terminal that is cast into the plastic moulding. Just a heads up.

Really pleased that you are happy, I keep bangin on about the 4524's, its nice to have somebody else who has seen the light. Its very rare that you get something this cheap that is almost SOTA.

Tony
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 10:11am
How much power have many 4524/4544 users fed these drivers without damaging them?

I like the response, but 25 watts have me having second thoughts.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 10:54am
Elliot, With the price that you can get BMS for in the States thru Assistance Audio it would be worth you just buying one and giving it a go. Remember with the 4524 that it has efficiency of 113db/watt which means basically means about the same output as a 100w 106db/watt driver.

The 4544 is a totally different beast at 80w handling and its inside/ouside voice-coil and high peak ratings means it can be run very hard indeed. I have never sold a replacement dia. for this model and it is my best seller.

Tony
smithers View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 11:01am
i run my BMS comps (not sure which one's, can you remember tony?) off 1 channel of a macrotech 1200 @ 4r, so they get a fair amount of power and they seem perfectly happy, 2 comps will go alot louder than i'd ever really need them to go for the gigs i'm doing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 11:05am
Originally posted by smithers smithers wrote:

i run my BMS comps (not sure which one's, can you remember tony?) off 1 channel of a macrotech 1200 @ 4r, so they get a fair amount of power and they seem perfectly happy, 2 comps will go alot louder than i'd ever really need them to go for the gigs i'm doing.

Ben,  4544/8

Tony
smithers View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 11:19am
thanks Tony.
before investing in these i never gave much consideration to my top end, a real eye opener.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 7:05pm
Tony- thanks for the suggestion with the spades, I'll make sure I use them when the drivers go in cabs. For now I soldered that one as I couldn't find any spade connectors. It hasn't weekened the plastic around the terminal as I only used a tiny amount of solder and did it very quick to avoid too much heat.

Do you know the exit angle on these comps? I had a peep through the grille with a maglite and it looks around 10-15 degrees, but I could do with an accurate figure for designing the horns for these.

Elliot- I was concerned about the low power rating at first however looking at the figure for the other comps I own (eminence psd2002), to get the same out put as the bms at 25w (127db) I would need to give the eminence 160w, they are rated at 60w. I realise I'm comparing to a below average driver here, but in my application the bms will only be doing 3.5khz and up so 127db should be more than enough. The eminence drivers have always been loud enough for me, just not exactly hifi sounding.

Kieran

Blahblahblah
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 7:16pm
Kieran

On the 4524 it is 20 degrees.

Tony
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 7:36pm
Thanks Tony
Blahblahblah
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 7:43pm
Do you have the exit angle for the 4544 please Tony?

Cheers.

James
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Do you have the exit angle for the 4544 please Tony?

Cheers.

James

4538  21.8

4544  20.6

4550  14.0

4540nd  14.0

4552nd  24.0

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>