Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" compression drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1" compression drivers
    Posted: 02 July 2008 at 1:45am
can anyone direct me to any decent 1" cd drivers and a good matching horn. Loud enough to keep up to a horn loaded b&c 8pe21 Hopefully no more expensive than about £150

thanks
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 2:06am
B&C DE250,400,500 or 18Sound ND1080/90 on an 18Sound flare,eg XT1086 or XR1064

18Sound horns are the best I've found so far.  Very good frequency response and coverage patterns.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 10:52am
This question gets asked pretty much every other day! I use a DE250 above a horn loaded 8PE21 in my hi-mids, crossed over at 2.1kHz and at sounds sweet as a nut. I'm using some horns which I bought off Tony.A.S.S. a while back - superb sound and nice even coverage.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 3:48pm
okay thanks going to have a look at a couple of those
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:11pm
so the de250 is a good match for the 8pe21? hmmm, thats exactly what Im planning on doing possibly.how much better is the de500?
cheers
Markk.
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:28pm
I haven't heard the DE500 but I suspect it's just lighter and more expensive rather than sounding that different.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:45pm
The DE500 has a titanium diaphragm and neo magnet, whereas the DE250 is a polyimide diaphragm. I would imagine they sound quite a bit different, mainly due to the diaphragm material.

I can't see any point in choosing the 500 over the 250, since it's 1.5dB less sensitive and the power handling is only 50W RMS instead of 60W RMS. Oh, and it's probably more expensive too!

I'm using a horn made from a mould I bought off Tony, which was fitted to his R2U cabs. No phase plug, but there's a phasing ring (his term) on the backplate of the horn, which sits in around the edge of the cone. I haven't had a chance to do any final measurements, but initial plots showed a sharp null at 2.2kHz, hence my choice of 2.1kHz crossover point.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Wrighty Wrighty wrote:

I use a DE250 above a horn loaded 8PE21 in my hi-mids, crossed over at 2.1kHz and at sounds sweet as a nut. 

Got a question - Not looking no war or cussing or arguments bout this question, as I really am still learning about comps!

Here it goes...
After slowly moving over from piezos to compression drivers, I managed to try out one of these B&C DE250's & a Celestion CDX1-1731's.

They both sounded good, but with all the hype I've read about them & some saying to dump piezos, I personally expected a bit more.

Using an EQ on the high end, which normally the piezos would cope with & sound very fine, these 1'' comps started to sound over driven with a clapping sound & had to be turned down.

Has the horn really got that much to do with how the very high tops would sound ?

So can I ask the pro's, which other 1'' comps (more expensive I expect) will play higher, crisser & finer than these DE250's ?

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 12:25pm
Tek, There used to be a saying when Hi-Fi was in its infancy the " the more you open the window the more sh*t flies in" in other words as a system gets better the easier it is for us to hear distortion, noise etc. that cannot be heard on an inferior system.
It is very difficult to beat the sound quality of the DE250's without spending a shed load of money. What was the rest of the system, sound source etc?

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 03 July 2008 at 12:29pm
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 12:45pm
could it have been the horn? what horn do people reccomend using with the de250 for 60v 40h dispersion?
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 12:52pm
Tek: depends on the source material, crossover, horn and other things, but I can't believe any piezo will sound better than a DE250 (or most other compression drivers for that matter). I agree with Tony's point about being able to hear more of everything (including the bad stuff) when you have a decent system. You may find there was a large range of frequencies missing when you were just using piezos.

I've used DE250s in EV SX300 cabs (fantastic horns in those, but non-removable!) and on some of Tony.A.S.S.'s 75x40 glass fibre horns, but these are quite deep - 23cm or so - unlike many of the 1" horns currently on the market, which don't load the driver properly at lower frequencies. I think Beyma do a reasonable 60x40 horn which is deeper than some of B&C's current offerings.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

There used to be a saying when Hi-Fi was in its infancy the " the more you open the window the more sh*t flies in" 

Sounds good, but never heard it before!

It is very difficult to beat the sound quality of the DE250's without spending a shed load of money.

I'm not saying it didn't sound good, I was just expecting it to chip a bit higher on it's own.

What was the rest of the system, sound source etc?

JTS pre-amp, Behringer Ultradrive, JTS, Peavey, T.amp power amps & Samson EQ.

Tried various combinations: Behringer Ultradrive on it's own, with & without EQ, with & without pre-amp, both together.

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>