Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" drivers for horn loading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10" drivers for horn loading
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 2:19am
Can anyone recomend me some good 10" drivers for horn loading...
interested toward the budget end of the market..
so far considered

fane cresendno 10mb
eminence kappa 10

currently i have pd 102er but finding the low power rating a bit off putting as i've blown quite a few without them sounding like they're really stresed.

darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:01am
What horns were the 102 in when you blew them and what was the lf cutoff? Just out of interest really, I've got no experience with them.
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 10:24am
they were in mikeys mc10's which is like a turbo sound tms horn without the phase plug...
they were going from about 180-200hz up. Personally i think it live vocals that have taken them out each time. But never all at once. I was considering asking roy at recones.com if he could do anyhing to increase the power handling on them if he reconed them again. But i think a little higher power handling in the mid department might be the answer also. However i've always liked the sound of them...

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 1:41pm
Amazing no one answered this! -Did you speak to Mykey?

If it's a turbohorn then it's BLOWN OFF crossed below 250hz, this is the lowest recommended cut off, I often use 280 hz like tms-4 or 300hz depending on whats playing below them.

This horn you CAN NOT cross at 180-200hz, but Mykeys horns might have a lower cutoff than tms-horns

If you have a low-power driver it's recomended to set your crossover higher so you avoid sending too much watts to the 10", so if it's like a turbomid I'll recommend you above 280hz if used alone, in groups they'll couple & go a bit lower.

180hz is how low you will go with the first huge Funktion one floodlight (sold to turbo), but that's a 12" driver

Edited by tv00 - 09 June 2014 at 12:21pm
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 3:10pm
Yeah it doesn't look like the MC10 horns are long enough to load the driver that low. I'd cross at 250Hz or higher but that's based on theory not real world experience :)

Edited by darkmatter - 01 April 2012 at 3:11pm
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 6:06pm
I no longer have the horns, but still have a load of the drivers requiring a recone... 5 i think, it's uneconomical to get the recone kits as i'd have to order 10 and they'd cost more than the drivers did in the first place. 2 of the cabs i had with the horns and working drivers were stolen aswell.
So it's all fairly irelevant now... a big shame really but thats how it goes sometimes.

Always a compromise, You can't have everything...

Where would you put it all.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 12:54am
You can't get cheap fane recones in UK?
I don't think so, but it might not be worth it if you have to pay for work & shipping.
Roy from rmj does reconing and sells the kit, so does bluearan & think also Paulie from this forum.

I think you will find out that hidden all around your country there's hundreds of people doing recones.
I know quite a few just here in tiny Denmark.
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 11:43am
It wasn't fane recones I was after it was PD recone kits. I can do recones myself but if you'd understood what i said you'd see that. 
Always a compromise, You can't have everything...

Where would you put it all.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 12:13pm
http://www.ebay.de/itm/4x-Speaker-PA-Bereich-Oberton-10M250-/120896284405?pt=DE_Lautsprecher_Martin&hash=item1c25fae6f5
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 12:19pm
That is too much for a second hand Bulgarian speakers.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 12:22pm
:)

not mine, just came across these recently..
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 12:24pm
Yes, I too would say so, have a look at these drivers with huge EBP:

Ev dl-10x
rcf L10P510
rcf mr10n301
jbl 2123

They make fane studio 10mb look poor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>