Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" mid top plans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hektik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10" mid top plans
    Posted: 27 February 2007 at 2:07pm
there ya go people sum new mid top plans for ya

im now building 2 of these with eminence 300w gamma/delta for mid
an 60w p-audio 1" compression drivers

wot do you think these will perform like with psytrance 
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2007 at 6:06pm

pretty good as long as you bass plays well up to 200hz/250hz to meet the 10s then theyd sound great as long as you use good drivers...

not too sure on those gammas though maybey try the p-audio e10 200a [youd have to sim this]

or maybey eminence kappa pro 10 will work well in a horn....

im not that up on eminence drivers though.....so not sure on the choice of driver, could be great could be well off.....

me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
hektik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hektik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2007 at 8:36pm
im not to keen on eminence stuff all 2gether there just gunna b temporary untill we get rolling i really want to put pd 107's in them but my wallet cant handle them just yet ..lol
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:03pm
i use similar mids, pretty good for psy crossed from 250 Hz, i've got dedicated kick bins though so this might help.. 1.2k is low for a 1", i think a 1.4" might be a nice idea to go with, a bit firmer and more aggressive in the 1.5-2k region where psy contains some quite sharply defined synth sounds. i think these noises are great on large format, old school jbl comps, but i can see a 1.4" as being a nice compromise between harshness and fortitude.

james.
mardy hippy.
SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2007 at 8:16am
Those are the Mid/Top's i was going to build. I ran into loads of problems...

Theres no trap angle, so i strongly suggest you make the cabs trapezodial for future provisions (arraying). If you use 1 cab per side its no problem, but use 2 or more and you'll need to array them to stop comb filtering.

Also when you look at the plans, they state that the "midhorn" gets down to 200Hz - I was practically laughed at when I posted these plans in the general forum. I think it was TB_Mike who pointed out that if you calculate 1/4 wavelength of the horn it equates to somewhere around 400Hz - meaning that under this frequency the driver becomes direct radiating, losing a lot of efficiency. There will be a hole in the 200~400Hz region. Unless you boost these frequencys by like 12dB's, it wont sound nice.

I am not saying don't build these - infact - i'd like to see someone build them as I like the look of the cab, it has a very "aggressive horn" look, great for psy...

I would adjust the plans for a trapezodial cab though...

Thanks, Joe.
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 7:59pm
Yeah I would also build them as doubles to increase the mouth area to help get down lower than 400Hz, 400Hz is not a very helpful low cutoff, no bin will get up that high without sounding terrible

I disagree with SmokeyJoe about the trap, because of the way the driver is enclosed its perfectly possible to make the cab a lot smaller than the design and you can make it a trap shape if you want but dont set it up in a cluster array

Read this to see why

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1293

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 8:19pm
M10  M210

Edited by mykey - 10 March 2007 at 8:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply