Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1000W@8ohm amp module from batterys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 10:54pm
I crammed six 10" drivers into a bike trailer and power it with a 4X100 2050amp at 24 volts. Speaker>Wood when space is at a premium IMO. Giving it more power would be nice but the batteries to run a high output amp are either heavy or expensive.   
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Cheers guys, its for a 12" tapped horn on a push bike trailer, getting a different driver thats 3dB more efficient is not possable, nor is doubleing the size of the cab to allow 2 drivers, im aiming for as much spl as i can put on a bike trailer, 1 2 channel amp bridged into 8 ohms seems like the best way to run things, if i end up using Ni-MH cells i will have voltage options.

Scrap the tapped horn and make a reflex box of the same size. It will easily fit two 12" woofers instead of one in the tapped horn and you have gained 3dB sensitivity.

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 11:51pm
Humm i doubt a a 2x12" reflex is going to have higher sensitivity than a tapped horn, not with the same extension i should be able to hit 100-101dB, a 2x12" reflex is not going to be 103-104dB with reasonable extension, i wouldent gain 3dB, you would have to buy twice as many drivers as well and it would probably weagh more.  you would gain power handleing but thats not really the restriction, issue is the batterys and the weight.    Direct radiators could beat it sensitivity wise but not with the same extension.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by mr. doom mr. doom wrote:

I crammed six 10" drivers into a bike trailer and power it with a 4X100 2050amp at 24 volts. Speaker>Wood when space is at a premium IMO. Giving it more power would be nice but the batteries to run a high output amp are either heavy or expensive.   

What drivers were you using?  Its not just then space its the weaght thats really the limiting factor for me.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 12:03am
What horn, out of interest?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 12:04am

Humm i doubt a a 2x12" reflex is going to have higher sensitivity than a tapped horn, not with the same extension i should be able to hit 100-101dB, a 2x12" reflex is not going to be 103-104dB with reasonable extension, i wouldent gain 3dB, you would have to buy twice as many drivers as well and it would probably weagh more.  you would gain power handleing but thats not really the restriction, issue is the batterys and the weight.    Direct radiators could beat it sensitivity wise but not with the same extension.

What good is 100dB at 50hz outdoors? It's barely going to be audible.

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 12:52am
100dB sensitivity @ 1M1W, if i can gat 1000W into it it should get close to 130dB max output, its my own design, vaguely similar to the Tham 12.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 1:39am

100dB sensitivity @ 1M1W, if i can gat 1000W into it it should get close to 130dB max output, its my own design, vaguely similar to the Tham 12.

I think you'll find it doesn't work quite like that. Wink

How vaguely similar to the THAM12? THAMs and Cubo's are highly optimized designs that squeezes just about every drop of output out of the drivers. Making any changes to them, even very small, can have a huge negative impact if not done exactly right.

There's no substitute for raw cone area and displacement. A single 12" woofer isn't going to make heads spin even with 1000 watt amplifier.

Edited by Saturnus - 17 December 2013 at 2:02am
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 2:41am
I dont see any reason why it shouldn't get close to 130dB for a short time before thermal compression sets in,  Its a slightly longer path length, slightly larger mouth, very low flare rate like the Tham 12, simulations look better than the Tham 12 but the proof is in the pudding, ive designed several other horns that work well, never done a tapped horn / 1/4 wave resonator before but im confident i know what im doing.Wink  

mr. doom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 2:53am

What drivers were you using?  Its not just then space its the weaght thats really the limiting factor for me.

Four of the six are generic ferrite PA drivers with a claimed 6.5mm x-max. They are in a box that doubles as my bass guitar rig, it weighs about 50lbs./22kgs. and is tuned to 65hz. On top of that is a pair of lightweight peavey PR10 neo drivers in sonotubes that weigh 14lbs/6kgs. each,  I mount just the two of them on a rear rack when I will be climbing hills or going long distances.

You could use the lightweight neo PA drivers like the 12" Eminence Deltalites (or some other neo speakers), a undersized box is not really a problem when you are tuning high either. 

I would also recommend you plan a 360 degree mid/tweeter array as that is how people will be listening to it, good birch ply is ridiculously heavy and overkill for this application too IMO.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 9:02am

I would also recommend you plan a 360 degree mid/tweeter array as that is how people will be listening to it, good birch ply is ridiculously heavy and overkill for this application too IMO.

I'm happy to see that my views on required dispersion for such rigs and what behavioural studies have show is finally starting to rub off :D Constantly I am confronted with the question why I design speakers that are omni-polar and if they can't just put speakers on the front of the cab. It just doesn't work that way, and whatever way someone might intend to use a system, it's not how people actually use it either when you actually study how it's being used.

Edited by Saturnus - 17 December 2013 at 9:04am
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2014 at 9:38pm
Hi Again,  Ive put the idea of getting 1000W into the bass driver on hold and bought a vibe slick stereo 4 channel car amplifier, i will run it bridged so i should get towords 150W into the bass driver, and the same into the mid high.  Im considering using 18650 Li-ion cells like thease
http:////www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Sanyo-UR-18650-FM-2600-mAh-Li-ion-3-7v-Rechargeable-Protected-Batteries-UK-/360789924946?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item5400c15c52

Possably 3 series 3 parallel to give 11.1V and about 8Ah so should be good for over an hour at full power, and longer at lower levels, with the option to add more cells if i want to go longer.  Im not sure if the vibe slick amp has a voltage cutout as those cells run down to about 8V, i know inverters tend to have cutoffs, it might be better to run 4 in parallel.

Im looking for recomendations on cells and chargers, and possably a battery management system, it seems a bit of a mine field with lots of fake / copy / joke cells advertised as allsorts of things.  Im tempeted to go with those Sanyos, they have built in protection, im assuming they shut down if over discharged and go open circuit if over charged...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12