Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

100V PA horns with bootybass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100V PA horns with bootybass
    Posted: 27 March 2012 at 2:07pm
Inspired by Davey T, I'm looking at public address horns as a mid range solution above a bootybass for a 12V system.

A couple of things;

1/ What lower frequency range do I need to reach down to? The Bootybass sim suggests 200Hz-ish but when Davey measured his, he suggested it had a better response above 200 than predicted (although the image of his results is no longer there or not showing up for me). 250 - 300 Hz seems to be the common lower end of PA horn specs on paper, how realistic are these for this application?

2/ As the range of low impedance horns is small compared to 100V line versions, If I use a 100V type what effect on specifications/efficiency can be expected by bypassing the transformer?

3/ Has anyone had any experience with the extended frequency range 'music horns'  such as the monacor IT-100TW? if so can you recomend (a cheap) one? What are the HF units like on these?

4/ If I'm not going to get down to meet the bootybass with a PA horn, I'll be looking for a small (light) reflex to fill the gap (quite a narrow band as I'll still probably use PA horns above) any recomendations?

Cheers for any input.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 5:36pm
double 15 reflex will work well also, both should go up to 300hz just fine... the problem is finding a class D bass amp which will go up above 250hz. Also I put a lot of work into the crossover for the tops to get them to sound good. 
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

double 15 reflex will work well also, both should go up to 300hz just fine... the problem is finding a class D bass amp which will go up above 250hz. Also I put a lot of work into the crossover for the tops to get them to sound good. 

Apologies for slight thread hijack .....

AAMOI - how much does a (2 x 15)  bootybass box weigh (loaded I mean) ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

The bass will be running from a car amp with large leisure battery - I'll have to check with the owner (this is someone else's project I'm helping with) about the upper range of the amp - I hadn't even thought about that. If it is low then a bit of a rethink in the direction of reflex mid's and an extra amp may be in order...

I don't think the budget is going to stretch to much in terms of crossover - looking for 2nd hand crossovers and eq bargains at the moment.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

2/ As the range of low impedance horns is small compared to 100V line versions, If I use a 100V type what effect on specifications/efficiency can be expected by bypassing the transformer?

3/ Has anyone had any experience with the extended frequency range 'music horns'  such as the monacor IT-100TW? if so can you recomend (a cheap) one? What are the HF units like on these?

Anyone have any thoughts on these points?
 Post Reply Post Reply