Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" Hybrid Horn Build Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" Hybrid Horn Build Pics
    Posted: 15 March 2010 at 8:58am

I have started building some of Pflys hybrid Horns so though I would share my progress on here.

AM using a laser cut acrylic jig for the handles

Have been dowelling all of the joints together, cheaper that biscuit joints as I dont have the tools to do so.

Heard the first one the other day, but as I am up in my room in a terrace not really given it a real go yet. Although so far am very impressed Big smile

Shall keep this up to date with progress as the other 3 get finished.
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 9:53am
looking good man, what driver are you using?
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
jossdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:04am
The PD12SB30, I know when Pfly designed them this was the driver he based them on. In the first picture is a little pile of them in the corner.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:55am
Originally posted by jossdude jossdude wrote:

I have started building some of Pflys hybrid Horns so though I would share my progress on here.

lol, a true speaker lover, he builds his cabs before he does his laundryClap
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 5:46pm
Looking really nice. I hope they will perform. Me myself can't say much, I've only heard one!
jossdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

lol, a true speaker lover, he builds his cabs before he does his laundryClap

They pretty quickly got covered in sawdust, as with all of my other clothes so waiting to do the big clean after.

Got this done this afternoon tho,

Nearly there,

Edited by jossdude - 20 March 2010 at 5:26pm
mikey bear View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:26pm
Excellent! are plans for these freely available?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:36pm
I have not yet decided what to do with them. I gave them to jossdude to get second opinion about this design and I am really honoured that someone bothers to build this design even when I've built only one by myself, so I can't say much about real world performance.

btw joss: How does the size and weight seem? I thought that size to be really nice to haul around.
Also the handle placement is the best I could come up with, you've got any opinions on that?

Edited by pfly - 15 March 2010 at 10:37pm
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:44pm
looks like a MASSIVE rear chamber on them.. what kinda performance are they (meant to) give?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:49pm
Short horn that works around 70hz to 200hz or so.
Rear chamber reflex tuned to 45hz taking care of the lower stuff.

The rear chamber needs to be quite big to achieve the gain.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/12-inch-hybrid-horn_topic34482.html
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:53pm
i seeeee Clap
jossdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

How does the size and weight seem? I thought that size to be really nice to haul around.
Also the handle placement is the best I could come up with, you've got any opinions on that?

Yeah they seems just about right, you cant quite easily move one by yourself small distance and is an easy lift with two people. Not moved them about alot yet tho. Still yet to get them down 3 flights of stairs! Wasn't even really planning on putting wheels on them straight away and gonna see how it goes fora  bit first.

Handles do be in a pretty good position. Was beginning to toy with putting an extra set of handles on the side walls to allow for easier movement when they are upright. If I do do that though will be an after thought and only if it seems necessary. 

Beginning to think about how to finish them. Had an idea of covering them all in several layers of newspaper, each cab having a paper from a different country. Could end up look pretty good. ( I help out with a youth group and they were going to help finish them as we are taking them away with us this summer. So not expecting to get any high quality paint work done)

Should be able to test them this weekend fingers crossed. 

I dont know how to do it but am happy to take some real world readings from them as a stack of two and a stack of four as a comparison to the plots. What do I need to do this apart from, a big open space?

Edited by jossdude - 20 March 2010 at 5:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>