Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" kick bin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 3:17pm
Thanks DJK.

SebP - what do you mean by waveguide? I don't see one. Did you mean a martin style letterbox throat?
SebP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 10:10am
yes the letter box throat, it's a sort of waveguide.

DJK, you said: "The Bill woods design has a hyperbolic mouth, much better for low frequencies, no huge cavity in front of the driver."

Have you seen the WSX design? it is one of the best sub and it has the same throat than the MKB-230, your arguments aren't good. This letter box and guide allows tu goes higher.  And we talk about a Kick Bin, not a bass design.

But if you want to compare a kick bin with 2 drivers, you must adjust voltage to 2 volts (1w 4 ohms) and 1.414 volts for two cabinets (1w 2 ohms).
SebP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 10:22am
I have the sim from the designer, so I've made the sim in your exact condition of two MK-230 4PI 2.83volts, here it is:

There is near 1dB less sensitivity than your sim, but goes lower and higher, and is just 12", not 15".

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 1:09pm
2 x 15'' Neo loaded that I can carry on my shoulder

and I always prefer a straight horn or single fold rather than multiple folds for kick cabs

Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

2 x 15'' Neo loaded that I can carry on my shoulder

and I always prefer a straight horn or single fold rather than multiple folds for kick cabs

6th order BPH? at least by the looks of the graph.

Edited by Teunos - 15 September 2010 at 6:43pm
Best regards,
Teun.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 12:22pm
Could people please post input parameters rather than simply the SPL response curve? Interested to know whether for example the Bill Woods design is being modelled with the offset driver arrangement. Also, GD and excursion graphs are pretty important when determining real world behaviour and max output for these cabs.

I think the arguments about which is better (mkb 230 or bill woods') may be a bit futile until it's clear what effect the bends in the horn really have on HF response as heard and measured with that specific design.

Other factors may also be relevant, for example if using a light coned 12" would the shape of the throat in the MKB 230 cause stress to the cone? Is the snailshell esque folding of the Bill Woods design better for HF or will the careful attention paid to reflectors in the MKB 230 mean that design wins out? Modelling can't answer all of this.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:42pm
Ive just built some 2 x 12" low mid cabs, same size as a punisher, kind of similar layout to the MKB230 but rather than stacking 2 high theres a left and right mirror, bit like a USB.  Like darkmatter says the layout makes tons of difference, you have to minimize path length differences and reflections to get good upper extension.  Splitting it up with braces can help.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 1:28pm
Would still like to know what kind of cab yours is mykey.
Best regards,
Teun.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 3:50pm
Band-pass horn

forgot I put that up 
grec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 12:12am
could you place a picture?
thank's
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 12:15pm
djk,

any advice on drivers for the Bill Woods plan?

cheers

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 10:13pm
Pick the mass corner for the HF cut point.

The higher the mass corner, the higher the cabinet will go.

The higher the mass corner, the lower the x-max (limiting LF output).

So, pick a high mass corner, but no higher than you intend to cross the driver (don't use a 600hz mass corner driver if you plan to cross at 300hz).

With a good throat I can run a B&C 12PE32 up to 1Khz, and it has enough x-max for a 150hz cross on the low end.

Edited by _djk_ - 18 August 2011 at 10:14pm
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>