Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" Tapped horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" Tapped horn
    Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:42pm
As I am lucky enough to get hold of loads of free MDF I thought I'd have a go at building a tapped horn, I quite liked the 12" version posted on here a while ago (MTH30) so I've spent today chucking one together!
the th is supposed to be loaded with a PD 12SB30 driver but the only 12" I have at the moment is a 20 year old Mckenzie 200watt (400watt cont) jobbie.
I've just powered it up and to be honist the amount of bass out of such a small box scared the crap out of me (and that with the wrong driver driven by one side of an HH 500D) so I think I may well build another tomorrow and buy the correct drivers!

Edited by colint - 19 December 2009 at 5:52pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:56pm
very nice build mate Thumbs Up

you willing to share a plan? as im looking for something similar for at home...
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:57pm
apologies just reread your post Embarrassed
Little Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:19pm
Hi, chaps
How did you get the paint finish?
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Little Jim Little Jim wrote:

Hi, chaps
How did you get the paint finish?

I used a radiator roller with tuff cab paint (adcrofts)
still some filling and more coats to add 6 in total.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:25pm
what you gonna be using it for mate? like music style and.. at home? or playing out.
cheers
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by djshaney djshaney wrote:

what you gonna be using it for mate? like music style and.. at home? or playing out.
cheers

Well! today I've used it to piss off my neighbors? Lol

I'm building a small system for my son in law to do disco work with (he's just starting up) the idea is to use 2 on these with a 1 x 10" + 1" comp on top of each which should make a nice sounding, portable & powerful system. (forgot to add he plays anything from 70's stuff to drum & bass)

I've had a bit of time to play with it now and I have to say the bass really is very good but it's only had abput 250watts put into it so far but very pleased with the results.
All it's cost me so far is £1.80 for the t-nuts! cheap box eh? PD drivers are next and have been quoted £90.00 each for them so still cheap for a 400watt bass cab
assuming all works well over a period of time then I'll re-build them in birch, and I'm also going to build one for my telly system!

Edited by colint - 19 December 2009 at 7:42pm
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:57pm
sounds good!

whered you get all the free mdf from? well jealous LOL prefer it to birch personally (i must be mad! but there we go)
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 8:07pm
http://forum.speakerplans.com/another-mini-tpped-horn_topic31691_post316090.html?KW=PD+12SB30#316090

| 40 Hz Tapped Horn
Def_Const |Horn Dimensions
{
a1 = 150e-4; |Area at throat (cm^2)
a2 = 250e-4; |Area at rear of driver (cm^2)
a3 = 1300e-4; |Area at front of driver (cm^2)
a4 = 1400e-4; |Area at mouth (cm^2)
l1 = 10e-2; |Distance from throat to rear of driver (cm)
l2 = 240e-2; |Line distance from rear of driver to front of driver (cm)
l3 = 25e-2; |Distance from front of driver to mouth (cm)
}
Def_Driver 'Dr1'
| PD.12SB30
Sd=530.9cm2
fs=50.238Hz
Qes=0.316
Qms=5.024
Vas=58.945L
Re=5.493ohm
Le=1.773mH
system 'S1'
Driver Def='Dr1' Node=1=0=3=4
Waveguide 'W1' Node=2=3 STh={a1} SMo={a2} Len={l1} Conical
Waveguide 'W2' Node=3=4 STh={a2} SMo={a3} Len={l2} Conical
Horn 'H1' Node=4 STh={a3} SMo={a4} Len={l3} Conical

Edited by _djk_ - 19 December 2009 at 8:13pm
djk
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 8:17pm
Same design in Hornresp, but in 1Pi (along wall) rather than 2Pi (middle of room).

djk
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by djshaney djshaney wrote:

sounds good!

whered you get all the free mdf from? well jealous LOL prefer it to birch personally (i must be mad! but there we go)

I drive a truck for a living these days, one of the places I go to is a new shopping center which the builders are now leaving and they keep chucking stuff they don't want? so far I've had about 10-12 full sheets and 20 or so half sheets all unused.
the crying shame is I just missed half a pack of 18mm birch that went in a skip still on it's pallet, wasn't best pleased? but it's suprising what people chuck away on building site and in skips
bit pikey but it save me a fortune!!!!
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 8:33pm
I'm liking this very much.  How does the horn length compare to the full length TH? 

BTW I made a 12" TH a while back and its no good indoors but outside as part of a small 3-way rig with the sub up against a wall running from 30-80 Hz it puts big grins on faces - just sounds lovely!

S
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>