Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 V and mains Inverters...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightonJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 V and mains Inverters...
    Posted: 17 May 2011 at 12:24pm
Hi,

I am new here and would like to say hi to everyone here. Some fantastic rigs and great looking works in progress. I will be launching a new website soon and will post up some of my own pics.

I want to start a discussion on inverters. They are often nasty things in terms of contributing noise to a system and I have found this especialy true when using portable systems with dubious or nonexistant ground connections.

I have taken to using an earth spike (rod of metal with a good electrical connection to a length of decent cable), attached to the ground connection on my rigs. It's yet another bit of kit (weight) to carry around, but of great importance when using 12V - 240 V inverters to run laptops, decks etc.

What are people's experiences with inverters? there are a wide range out there and the efficiency ranges from sub 50% to well into the 90's. Price also obviously roughly corrolates.

It's often the case in my experience that only a small amount of power is needed at 240 v if the rest of the setup is well managed, so are there any good tips on fairly moderate power full sinewave inverters for good prices?

What are people's expereince with mains hum reduction (when using nverters) and noise reduction generally with portable rigs?

J
portapartyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portapartyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 12:59pm
Hi

I run a true sine wave inverter on my Portable sound system www.theportaparty.co.uk

We have just built MK2 which comprises of 2x technics 1210s a 4 channel mixer, laptop, eq and a reasonable switchmode amp (525 @4ohms x2). Just managed 11 hours this weekend at Bearded theory

Never had a problem with any pure sine inverter we've used (noise wise). We've had issues with volt drop (obviously) but nothing a larger bank or cap can't sort out. We use a Waeco or Domino.

You might want to use some sort of gnd looping if its the laptop creating hum. If the hum is there with only your amp and speakers plugged in you need a different inverter. That noise you can hear could be damaging components in your equipment that a earth stake will never sort.

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by BrightonJake BrightonJake wrote:

Hi,

What are people's experiences with inverters? there are a wide range out there and the efficiency ranges from sub 50% to well into the 90's. Price also obviously roughly corrolates.

Well I've actually successfully used a cheapy 350W "modified" (yeah, it ain't arf modified - had it on the scope at my mates place - basically a square wave with a bit of holes and spikes) ..... but it works quite OK with just a decent quality hi-fi amplifier (oldish Pioneer class AB 50W + 50W thing) .... reasonable run-times with a 45Ah car battery. No earth loop or other noise problems ...... that was in conjunction with a mixer run directly from the 12V DC.

The only thing that concerned me a bit when I first tried it was a slightly "different" "buzz" from the amplifier's transformer - but its never actually caused a problem. This could be just luck of course :-)
I'd guess the 230V drain would be _much_ less than its rated 350W ..... never tried it with something a bit more demanding 230V-wise ....

infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 1:15pm
whats the difference in efficiency between pure sine and modified sine wave inverters? Does the difference in circuitry used between the two give drastically different efficiencies?
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

whats the difference in efficiency between pure sine and modified sine wave inverters? Does the difference in circuitry used between the two give drastically different efficiencies?

Couldn't tell you mate .... google should be your friend with this .... but I'd _guess_ that if anything the pure sine wave ones would be _less_ efficient, as the circuitry that shapes the output will probably be throwing away some power as heat .... OTOH the _overall_ effiency might be similar or better, as e.g. an amplifier's transformer/rectifier might chuck out extra heat with a "modified" power input.

S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 1:49pm
Enjoy your self...... It's later than you think.......
JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:32pm
Jake ... i would go for a well branded make .. Mastervolt , Victron, Xantrex & Waeco .. have fitted hundreds of these and the real cheap nasties which i would never use .. i use 2 Mastervolt 4000w combi inverter on my boat .. in that game .. you really do get what you pay for .. you can pick these up 2nd hand on ebay .. so you wont be paying top dollar .. a 2nd hand branded one will be far better than any brand new chinese knock off .. the amount of them that i have seen catch fire/ burn out laptop charger s etc is beyond belief
Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)