Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v Amp for Tham 15??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v Amp for Tham 15??
    Posted: 09 July 2014 at 8:21am
I'm not clear on what 12v Class D Amp to use to power my Tham 15s.
Everything seems to be rated at 4 and 2 Ohm but the P-Audio drivers I have are 600w 8ohm.
What sort of power Amp could I get away with if I ran the pair at 4 Ohm??
Something like this??
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 9:07am
Well that Vibe would be a decent choice, but obviously those amps are designed for loads lower than 4R. You might also consider a 4ch full-range class D amp (look at Vibe, Kenwood, Pioneer) and use it as 2 channels in 8R bridge mode. Would achieve about the same o/p into your 8R bass cabs, but could also be used as full-range or on mid-top duty (via the built-in filters).

Remember those power ratings are at power source of around 14.4 or 14.8V .... so subtract about 15-20% when using with standalsone batteries.
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 12:29pm
Thanks a mill Slaz, that's helpful.
While I've got your attention....would you have any thoughts on how I can control the input for my system?
I'll have the Amp for the Subs and a Boominator.
I'd like to have a volume control for the lot.
Would it be as simple as inputing into a Pot and then splitting to the Subs and Boominator??
Ta!
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 12:43pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:02pm
Or use a male to female 3.5mm cable with an inline volume control and then split the signal. Look for it on ebay.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

Thanks a mill Slaz, that's helpful.
While I've got your attention....would you have any thoughts on how I can control the input for my system?
I'll have the Amp for the Subs and a Boominator.
I'd like to have a volume control for the lot.
Would it be as simple as inputing into a Pot and then splitting to the Subs and Boominator??
Ta!

Yeah I've been up against a similar situation. Only answer really is to use some kind of little pre-amp or mixer. Things might go a bit awry if you just use a pot (different input impedances on the boominator and car amp ...... well I suppose it _might_ work if your source impedance is low and the input impedance of boominator and car amp are similar).

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

Something like this??

Yup - something like that. No mention of a sub-sonic filter on that one though - ideally you'd HP at around 40 or so and run the car amp up to about 100 ?

Expect a bit less than 200W x 2 into 2 x 8R bridge loads .... with 2 x THAM15 that should make plenty of noise though Wink
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:11pm
Separate attenuators for both amps imo
I use a similar Pioneer 4ch amp and am really happy with it. If you bridge it to 2 ch you'll get decent output. If you go this far with it, best to get a seperate crossover like xkitz or minidsp
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

If you go this far with it, best to get a seperate crossover like xkitz or minidsp

Does the miniDSP do delay ? Coud be useful if it does .... sound-all-around boominator + horn-loaded bass cabs might go a bit weird otherwise I'd have thought.

Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:24pm
Ahh Shite hadn't though about the delay aspect!

Don't really wanna shell out for another DSP, I have one in my Boominator already.
How about making a basic inline High pass filter and using the low pass on the Amp??

Edited by Shortrope - 09 July 2014 at 1:25pm
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:29pm
Mini DSP does have delay though, could be handy.
Guess I'll just need to fire it up and see what it sounds like.

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:30pm
Is it a 2x4 MiniDSP?
If so, how about stereo tweeters, mono 10" then use the 4th channel as an output to your sub...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>