Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v rig problems..help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan15550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v rig problems..help
    Posted: 06 September 2015 at 7:12pm
Hi

Ive just purchased a maxamp 20...wired it all up and the music is stopping and starting 

A video of the problem - https://youtu.be/2lOmaCUgtRk

my setup is a max amp, 12v battery, no power supply, eminence apt150, eminence alpha 8a and 3.5khz crossover

Any suggestions?

cheers
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 7:21pm
Wake the volume up and see if it still presists.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
dan15550 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan15550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 7:24pm
the louder the volume gets the more it skips
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 9:02pm
Test with different sources and amps to single out the culprit.
dan15550 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan15550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 9:23pm
problem is ive no other amp, i have tried different sources and still the same outcome
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2015 at 10:34am
What cable and how long to get + and - 12 V to the Maxamp, could the behaviour be under voltage due to power supply cable length / size?
I use 2.5mm^2 (max you can get in to the terminal) and its <200mm long. But as long as you using 0.75mm^2 or more and cables short <1m it should run OK, although 2.5mm is recommended...

Dupe...
Dupe...
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2015 at 2:22pm
I agree, it sounds like either the voltage at the amp chip is collapsing during loud bass notes and causing it to mute, or the chip is just faulty. If it is the first problem, much thicker and shorter battery cables should fix it. Do you have a multimeter? Ideally, the voltage measurable at the amp board's power terminals shouldn't dip more than 0.1v during a maximum-power bassline, or even less (but your multimeter probably won't be precise enough to read a smaller change....)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2015 at 3:55pm
May also be worth driving the amp into a single eminence alpha 8a, cutting out the X over and tweeter. Maybe the X over is causing some issue in the amp?

Dupe...
Dupe...
dan15550 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan15550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2015 at 8:28pm
Thank you very much for your replies. - I am using 1.5mm wire and a rather long length of it too, so that may be the issue. Im currently away in Birmingham till friday so ill have to wait till then to put your suggestions to the test. Ill let you know how i get on.
dan15550 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan15550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2015 at 8:30pm
To add i do have a multimetre, im not sure whether it is sensitive enough to test but i will certainly try.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2015 at 9:47pm
if you meter bat+ve to amp+ve (IE line drop), even a £10 Meter should give you some info, but a solid supply is must to make real judgement about other faults, a quick test with like 100mm of 1.5m maybe a plan...
dan15550 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan15550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2015 at 8:20pm
Strange that is.. I first shortened the 1.5mm power cable i was using to a shorter length of about 125mm and still the same problem, i then tested each of the drivers on their own without the crossover and they both work fine so i figured it would be the crossover - so i got hold of a brand new crossover and the problem is worse. Would it be possible all this could happen from a bad solder joint? My solders seem solid but i havnt soldered for years and have no experience..it is the only thing i can think of?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>