Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" 2-way - Advice/Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2016 at 3:38am
Wow, thanks very much. Some help would be really appreciated. I'd really like to take you up the offer of trying some drivers out too, you're based in Southampton right? I guess it would be a Mon-Fri between 9-5 kinda job? Will try and find the time but its hard with work/family, if it would be possible to do it on a weekend that would be perfect for me ... 
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2016 at 7:05am
I tend to do most of the testing on Saturday afternoons, as it tends to be less hectic then, but it does need to be by appointment, as I'm not available every Saturday. Drop me a PM and we can discuss.

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
pczjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 8:39pm
Trying to understand the differences between the B+C 15" 2 way plans; they have four:

F151A and F151AN - 1" tweeters, same cab, the latter has Nd woofer.
F152A and F152AN - 1.4" tweeters, same cab (different to the 151 series), the latter has Nd woofer. 

My criteria:

1) Difference in price of drivers is not a deal breaker (except the F152N tweeter, which I can only find at a much higher price atm)
2) I heard 15" woofers often cross better with bigger tweeters (how true is this?, do the plots in the plans support this?) so maybe the 152 series sounds better?
3) I don't care how heavy the speakers are.
4) Will be playing mostly jungle/d+b but also dub/reggae and a bit of everything tbh!
5) Am more interested in low end extension and overall sound quality than how loud they can go. 

I don't really know how to read the frequency vs. response plots in any meaningful way, any comments on the differences between the plots included in the plans would be really appreciated. I recognise that this is probably a lot of information and a big ask so thank you so much for any feedback!!
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by pczjm pczjm wrote:

2) I heard 15" woofers often cross better with bigger tweeters (how true is this?, do the plots in the plans support this?) so maybe the 152 series sounds better?

Yes and No and it depends on the tweeter. This is just my opinion, but many people tend to vaguely agree..

1" comp driver cant get low enough to meet a 15" without pushing the 1" out of its comfort zone, and stretching the 15" higher than it can comfortably go. A good 1" comp driver can handle 10kHz plus, and give a nice sparkly top end without the need of supertweeter. For a disco/Dj Box where the vocal region is not critical, you can get away with this, but you need to fiddle with the crossover and EQ

Most 2" comp drivers will generally handle down to 1000/1200 Hz, comfortably meeting the 15" around this frequency, however most 2" comp drivers struggle at the top end (10kHz plus) and can sound a bit lack lustre and need EQ compensation.

Generally, most people vaguely a 1.4" is the best compromise, you get some of the benefits of the 2" comp where a lower crossover frequency is possible, but at the same time retain some oif the sparkly top end you can get from a 1" - this isnt true of all 1.4" comps, so picking the right one is critical. Crossover around 1.2k-1.5k and add a tiny bit of top end EQ and you're in business.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 9:01pm

4) Will be playing mostly jungle/d+b but also dub/reggae and a bit of everything tbh!
5) Am more interested in low end extension and overall sound quality than how loud they can go. 

Do you have subs?

You need subs

Everybody needs subs.
pczjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 11:30pm
Yeah, my mate (the one who will be doing the carpentry for this build) has just built two HD15s, we did our first small party/testing session with the studio-monitor type speakers that I use at home as tops. They're pretty loud but are obviously totally under-powered compared to two HDs. The idea is to do small parties together (20-100 people) from time to time but also for the top(s) to be as full-range as possible so they work as stand alone units for use in the home. 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 5:31pm

The idea is to do small parties together (20-100 people) from time to time but also for the top(s) to be as full-range as possible so they work as stand alone units for use in the home. 

That is a totally daft idea, seriously use home audio speakers at home. You will have to cripple the boxes SPL potential to get any meaningful bass output or make the box much larger than it needs to be.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 5:38pm
Depends where are what home is tbh, but unless you have 20 acres of land in the middle of nowhere I would also say keep your home sound and PA separate is a sensible idea.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 5:59pm
+1

PA boxes played very quietly can be very disappointing.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 2:22am
HD15 is not really a sub, only goes down to 52hz.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
pczjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 3:27am
Yeah, I'm not gonna use them for listening to classic FM while I have breakfast, I've got some nice monitors for that (and for maybe 95% of home use). But sometimes, just sometimes I like to crank it up to fully blown rave mode and dance around my living room like a lunatic for 15 mins. Since I'm gonna be storing whatever I build in my living room anyway I'm gonna be turning it on from time to time and I wanna get some bass when I do. 

Also, I should have probably said that I live on a canal boat, so one vision is taking the boat to remote areas, putting the speakers on the roof and blasting it out for a few hours. 

pczjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

HD15 is not really a sub, only goes down to 52hz.

Yeah, I know its a kick bin. They do go lower when you start to the stack them though, maybe not that noticeable with two though. Used to listen to a rig with 6 HDs and some turbosound tops, produced a reasonable amount of bass to my ears! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12