Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" 8" 1"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" 8" 1"
    Posted: 21 February 2016 at 2:24pm
any decent plans kicking around for a 15" 8" and 1" box with one of each. I could design one myself but if there's a plan already I'd like to see it. Thanks
Always a compromise, You can't have everything...

Where would you put it all.
nojunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nojunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 2:48pm
limmer p3 - but it's a 6.5" instead a 8" ...
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 4:51pm
Mikey sells 15" 10" 1" with wondefull GFK flares as flat pack.
http://forum.speakerplans.com/what-are-these-white-c4s-speakers-pics_topic36670_page15.html
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 8:30pm
Add 25% to all measurements in the 12/8/1 Orbit 4 plan and it becomes a 15/10/1 plan:-)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 4:08pm
have a look at bluearans new 3way tops? What are your exact requirements calculus?
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 8:22pm
I have the drivers for 4 already. jbl 2226 15" for kick/midbass,  b&c 8pe21 for upper mid and BMS 1" for tops got faital horns flares. and got 4 crossovers for the 8" & 1" section. they are to go above 6 invaders. I started making some trap reflex boxes today just for a test. But not sure if thats where what i'll stick with. Thanks for the suggestions though guys i will investigate further. 

Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 8:39pm
The thing about the blue aran sonitus cabs is the price of the drivers. I'd have to sell the stuff I've already got to buy them. Then when you include all the drivers bought new you have quite a expensive box. Quite an expensive unbranded box for the price you could almost buy something tried and tested for. I'd like to put the 8" on a horn but the way I'm building these test boxes i could retro fit a 8" horn section onto them. The sonitus 8" sections do look nice but I would only get two for the price i'd get for the 8" drivers i already have. 

I did have a plan for a trap box with a folded kick section but it became a massive box and the builder who was making them for me let me down a bit. So I've been left with the pile of drivers. Plus I dont have a proper workshop anymore to do any complicated builds.

So I knocked up a quick plan today and started building with some ply I already had. I'll let you know how I get on. If I can find some well suited 8" horn moulds at a reasonable price then i may included them, I was looking at the RCF 8" phase plug horn they have on blue aran and wondering if it might fit the bill with one or two modifications.

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 8:51pm
But the horns are CHEAP WITH drivers included! Or considers XT8 mk3 :-)

6 invaders -whow! -What are they loaded with?
Is it the ones from freespeakerplans?

Edited by tv00 - 22 February 2016 at 8:53pm
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 9:10pm
i doubt there is a plan for a cab matching your exact components..

2226 should be fine in a compact reflex cab, 8" with tiny sealed chamber should be fine too, a simple wooden horn like the ones used in early xtro cabs should be easy to calculate and build too.
not sure about the passive xovers though, unless they have been custom made for that particular combo i suggest going fully active will help to process all as necessary..
the rcf horn might not be suitable for your cone due to dedicated phase plug design, might be wrong, best to ask Andy or Tom at StableAudio?

Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Calculus Calculus wrote:

The thing about the blue aran sonitus cabs is the price of the drivers. 

We have to have a 'list price' to start with on any product, but there is generally some scope for deals. Its very hard to work your way up if you start with the bottom price. Its much easier to work down.

We did select some high quality components for the HF section, you can substitute cheaper components and still get a good result. The Beyma CP385Nd nudges the price up a fair bit, in my opinion it's worth it - I realise others may not share the same opinion so there are other options. For example if you are happier with lower power, the Faital Pro HF100 does a good job, and its not at all expensive.

The design will work with most 15" drivers that are designed for mid-bass, I've tested the box with numerous 15" drivers and had more than acceptable results - we chose a few of our favourites to make some packs up with, but it is really easy to chop and change parts. The P-Audio 15BM-500B works fine, as do several Precision Devices drivers. Most of our choices were higher power 15s as they will keep up with the 8" better. We were getting sensitivities of around 105dB on the mid-horn, if you chuck a 400W 15" in the box it will run out of steam well before the 8", but that doesnt mean you cant do it, we were just aiming for maximum power handling in this design.

I have been trying to find time to publish all my test results, but not managed to find it yet! I will get this done soon, and this will include a few more options on the 15" and comp driver.

Edited by Andy Kos - 23 February 2016 at 11:14am
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 8:22am
The 2226 would work fine in the low in that style of cab and your BMS/Faital combo would do the HF if you built something similar yourself rather than from the flat pack.  You'd have to sell the 8PE21's if you went for the Sonitus horns because the drivers are included and the B&C's wouldn't fit but it's a much easier solution than trying to design/build your own 8" flare.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 1:22pm
Or as I said the xt8 mk3 where the 8pe21 fits, probably not cheaper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>