Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" Eminence delta help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levendes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" Eminence delta help
    Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:16pm

OK guys, I have questions.  I have aquired 2 subs to use for a small PA system with Yamaha 15" 2 ways for tops.  The subs are ported, 24x24x24 (approx.) with the front port size of 4.5x24. The woofer is a 'like new' Eminence 15" Delta.   This is how I originally inherited these cabs.  Is this the optimal size of the port?  Will batting help?  if so, where inside the cab?  Am I wasting my time?  There is a 500w plate amp which is pretty loud.  I just want to optimize the sound quality.  Again this will be for small venue for dj's or pa rental.

Thanks!

I would attach diagram of cab, I can't figure out how to do it! 
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 11:15pm
http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13167
Thats how you attach diagrams.....

EDIT: oh yeah, welcome to the forum btw Smile

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 26 March 2008 at 11:15pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 12:34am
The Delta15 is an absolutely useless driver, especially for PA subs.  That's where you need to look first of all in terms of improving sound quality.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 12:53am
for a sub?doesnt have much linear xmax.has a strange response - loud part from 800hz to 3khz
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/delta-15a.pdf
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 8:30am
Yeah, basically delta are more towards the budget end of things. At a guess i would say that things are fine how they are and the cab is probably already optimised for that driver, If you want to check yourself then download winisd, there is a help file at the beggining of the newbie section. It a program that will let you model different cabs and it will tell you the theoretical frequency response, sensitivity, and other stuff.
levendes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levendes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 12:15pm
Since it sounds like these eminence woofers are not the greatest for subs, I also found on my shelf - 2 Gauss B358's and 2 Gauss 5840's.  I also have 2 15's no label on them with 2.5" voice coil and a square magnet.  Would any of these work?

Here is the cabinet design  with dimensions 24x24x24 with the plate amp mounted on the rear.  Thanks for your replies.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 3:16pm
bloody hell.. THATS the shortman mini scoop!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

bloody hell.. THATS the shortman mini scoop!
   LOLClap

Hi Levendes, sorry- what design is that you've posted? what make?
levendes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levendes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 4:49pm
The design is like the one pictured here http://www.diysubwoofers.org/tls/ The cabs look like home made.  I'm trying to salvage whatever I have. 

Edited by levendes - 27 March 2008 at 4:50pm
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 4:58pm
levendes... if your working with what you have... and you want to spend as little as possible...

get the T/S for the drivers you have (from the eminance site problably)... download winisd (google it).. then model the driver you have in the box you have... this will then (if you ask it) give you the ideal port dimensions.
levendes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levendes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 1:06pm
Thanks for your response guys.  I swapped the Eminence woofers with the Gauss woofers and added some batting along the back side only and it sounds 2,000% better.  I guess the guy who built them didn't know that there is a difference between 15" speakers.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 8:39am
Cool, well done
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>