Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15 inch Nd driver recommendation please...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15 inch Nd driver recommendation please...
    Posted: 28 February 2015 at 6:43pm
hi,
looking to upgrade my lightweight bass cabinets,  can you recommend some drivers please...
they will be doing for bass section in a small 3 way reflex system.

requirements:
-power rating not that important, 400-500W will do
-lightweight (preferably Neodymium)
-good efficiency
-available in UK.

budget £400 for a pair...
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 7:26pm
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA15MI100&browsemode=manufacturer 

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA15LW30&browsemode=manufacturer

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMASM115K&browsemode=manufacturer

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDLIT2515&browsemode=category

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIKLIT3015LF&browsemode=category
I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by amlu amlu wrote:

hi,
looking to upgrade my lightweight bass cabinets,  can you recommend some drivers please...
they will be doing for bass section in a small 3 way reflex system.

requirements:
-power rating not that important, 400-500W will do
-lightweight (preferably Neodymium)
-good efficiency
-available in UK.

budget £400 for a pair...

How big boxes tuned to what frequency, and what frequency do you want them to go up to?

For low frequency drivers the quoted efficiency (e.g. "99dB/W") is irrelevant, this is either the peak efficiency or the reference efficiency, in either case it only applies above a few hundred Hz which a bass driver never gets up to.

Much more important for bass drivers are BL and Xmax, since these set the useful efficiency and maximum output level.

Without knowing the box size and frequency range it's difficult to make any recommendation...

Edited by IanD - 28 February 2015 at 10:32pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 12:35am
B&C 15cl76 seems like an interesting option if weight is a primary concern and low power handling not a problem. Perfectly respectable xmax BL and efficiency rating and featherweight at 3.2kg 

Bargain price too at £109 each here http://www.teamaudio.fr/en/bandc-15cl76-8ohm.htm

Edited by Hemisphere - 01 March 2015 at 12:36am
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 8:50am
yes, i am currently using the 12 inch version of that driver in developing my new twin 12" mid bass box and so far it is outperforming the BMS 12N620 which is twice the price.

you just have to get your head round the steel basket.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 12:01pm
Good to hear it - I have a project in the works that uses that one (12cl76?) outstanding for the price with 22.4 BL which is impressive for a 12 in any price bracket.
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 12:02pm
the boxes in questions are 50x50x50cm cubes, very simple, they have a plumbing fittings attached as reflex ports, if i need to i can get the ports out and adjust the lenght.
i want them to do low end on my system - playing from as low as practically possible, (got around 30Hz high pass filter on the input, so that may be the lower limit).
it does not neet to be that loud. dont do big parties on them anyway.
have a 2x300watts class d amp for powering them.
there is quite good mid section above them, not sure how high they should go, can play with crossover see whats best.

15CL76 looks interesting, but that special offer got expired, 150 euro now, 190 pounds in blue aran. found best offer on the net for £130.
this one looks nice too,
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMASM115K&browsemode=manufacturer
but is bloody 9 kilos heavy.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 12:07pm
150 euro is £109 right now believe it or not.
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

yes, i am currently using the 12 inch version of that driver in developing my new twin 12" mid bass box and so far it is outperforming the BMS 12N620 which is twice the price.

Nothing wrong with a steel basket for a lightweight driver, you only need a strong cast alloy basket to hold up a big heavy magnet assembly which these don't have.

BMS drivers are high-quality and expensive and worth it if you need their particular strengths (which you don't at those power levels), the longer-throw ones in particular don't really have any rivals but they're not cheap.

They are a lot cheaper from teamaudio.fr though, I've just got a couple of 15N840s from them for two-thirds the UK price...
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 3:15pm
Big respect for Teamaudio - they have some of the lowest prices around *and* they discount further for buying 'bulk' as little as 2 or 4 pieces, and more for larger quantities if you email them. It's nice to buy in the UK for reliability/servicing etc but for those like me on an absolute shoestring scraping toether a few quid for a component here and there, it's worth it.

Edited by Hemisphere - 01 March 2015 at 3:18pm
Tweeter_Box View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweeter_Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2015 at 10:26am

what freq you using for the b&c? ive been looking at the 15" version for a while now but the frames been putting me of. have you compared the 12" with any other contenders?
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2015 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Tweeter_Box Tweeter_Box wrote:

what freq you using for the b&c? ive been looking at the 15" version for a while now but the frames been putting me of. have you compared the 12" with any other contenders?

The ts parameters seem very competative but indeed the steel frame kind of put me of ao i ended up with 12ndl76. How is the build quality?
Best regards,
Teun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>