Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" Scoop!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" Scoop!
    Posted: 18 December 2006 at 10:54am
I'm about to start building my main rig. It will consist of 2x B&C Design 15" Subs (PD Loaded) and 2x Mid/top trap cabs (12" PD + 1" P.Audio Loaded). Powered by a T.Amp 2400, Hill DX1500 and Rauch DVD-250S.

I will then have 2x Beta15's on my hands. Sweet!! lol sh*t drivers

I think i'll build a pair of 15" Scoops and chuck em' in, intime for a new years blat!

I've seen the Fane design and the Eminence design and there pretty similar. When i get some cash i'll probably re-load the scoops with a pair of Fane 15XB's so shall i got for the Fane design?

Thanks, Joe.
specialjustin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 2:16pm
Yea, that sounds like the best and most simple plan. One thing i would do to the Fane (or any design that doesn't have them) box is, make sure you add a good amount of bracing, maybe copy the sort of bracing pattern in the super scooper.
SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 2:54pm
Yeah, that makes sense i will do that .

How do you think they'l sound with just the eminence driver i've got on loaded in em'? I'm looking for chest thumping/crushing bass for UK Garage and Grime, with a bit of Dnb & MC'ing later on...
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 4:18pm
Go for Staipers Microscooper 15 instead.

Eminence scoops sound sh*t. And Fane scoops don't sound that good either.

Edited by Tom Umney - 18 December 2006 at 4:19pm
SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 5:02pm
Microscoops loaded with Beta15's? Surley the Eminence or Fane design will be better with my driver?

Anyone else have any thoughts? Microscoop vs. Fane/Eminence scoop?

Thanks, Joe.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe SmokeyJoe wrote:

Microscoops loaded with Beta15's? Surley the Eminence or Fane design will be better with my driver?

Thanks, Joe.

It's worth it in the long run making the microscooper 15 when you upgrade to better drivers.

Eminence Beta 15's are sh*te. Would be better you building a large reflex box for them, as thats all they sound okish in. And when you get the money , buy the PD156 not the Fanes and make the Micro Scooper 15.

PD156 are cheaper than Fane 15XB and better too.

But if you must make scoops now, make the microscooper 15 as it has the best sound.
Don't expect them beta 15's to sound ok in any scoop though, cos they won't.But they will get you by with boomyness  and volume until you can afford better.

And I thought you had no transport for scoops?

Heres what I thought of the Fane design 15 inch scoops.
My m8 had 4 of them years ago and blew the drivers in them over half a dozen times when he cranked them. He went through 600w Fane 18B-600, Celestion Frontline, and Eminence Omega Pro 15's in his.Which he all blew by cranking it too hard and he couldn't achieve the bass he desired.

Then he got 2 custom made ASS 18 inch scoop copies made which beat the 4 15 inch scoops he had.And now hes very happy with the 2 ASS 18 inch scoops. As he can crank those and they are more than enough for his bass liking.

As for Eminence scoops. The 15 inch version was the first scoop I built a few years ago. And I was truelly disapointed with the 2 I made.So disapointed I sold them a month later for peanuts.
And my other m8 had the 18 inch version of the Eminence scoop and wanted to get rid of it for a better scoop design. Obviouslly he hated the design too.

I never heard JBL design scoops but I hear they sound smooth.

And although I've never heard the Micro Scooper 15. Two people who have built it recommended it. As they say it goes as deep as good single 18 inch reflex and has the kick of a normal 15 inch scoop.
So if they really mean that. Thats a wicked design.

And as the driver Eminence Beta 15. It's a piece of sh*t. I had 2 of them when I was 16 in AC Euro AC115 cabs. And they gave boomy sound so I thought it was the enclosure.
So me and my m8 designed a twin 15 inch reflex box and tried it out in his car. The bass was slightly better and deeper but nothing quality, but unfortunally the xmax is rather limited so when my m8 went overboard and cranked the bass he broke the woofers.
They certainlly went loud, but thats all thats good about the Eminence Beta 15,lol.

Edited by Tom Umney - 18 December 2006 at 5:52pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe SmokeyJoe wrote:

Thanks, Joe.

Don't waste your time with 15" Scoops mate.

18" scoops will be more efficient, move more air, drop lower with less power.

If your strapped for cash, build some scoopers and get some used FANE 18XBs.

Look at the voice coil length, Xmax, Qts, Sd and Fs of the Beta 15, and compare it with a FANE 18XB, the minimum driver for decent bass in a scoop.

Even an old  400W FANE 18 Colossus would be a start.

At least with scoopers, you can upgrade to 1850's/PD186 later.

EDIT:If you're lucky you can find ASS plans, and then you'll be buzzing, as we used to say up north.

Edited by levyte357 - 18 December 2006 at 6:06pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 6:12pm
Yeah true, all the 18 inch scoops I've heard so far beat 15 inch scoops.

Build the super scooper 18 or get Shortman to make you some of the 18 inch Shortman scoops are those sound truelly wicked. Iration Steppas uses those and they beat almost any other soundsystem with scoops.
Except maybe if someone had 8 ASS scoops.

Start off with the Celestion FTR4080F in the scoops if your short on cash.As they are only £99 new and are decent specs.

Then upgrade to PD186 or Void V18-1000 I say.

And if you want something to do with the crappy beta 15's. WINISD them and build a huge dual 15 inch reflex box for them to put them to use for the time being.

SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 8:05pm
@Toxic - I don't have transportation for the Scoops!

I've just finished designing a sound system that suits my music style, SPL's required, transportation space and most importantly £££!

lolz ToXiC i'm 16 and have a pair of AC Euro 115 cabs aswell! SNAP! I'm now left with these cabs and all there going to do is sit around looking ugly until i find a better use for them! And with new years eve coming up i thought i'd knock up a pair of Scoops just for my pleasure (always been facinated by the "Scoop" design) and chuck whatever drivers i can in em!

I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRANSPORT THESE CABS AND THEY WILL BE MADE OF MDF! TBH they will probably only get a little usage but there only for fun so it dosen't matter!

I wanted Scoops for my main system but logistically it was impossible so i'm going for reflexes. These Scoops are for loud house parties and for my own amusement until i get a van. Cough, just to clear that up

So then i may go for the MicroScoops. Depends if i can have them built in time. Do you rekon i'll get enough KICK outa a pair stacked together with 1500w through em?

Thanks, Joe.
SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 8:28pm
Funny thing is i never really knew what the Reggae music that you lot seem to listen to is! Whenever i think of Reggae i think of Bob Marley! Until now anyways. I just punched "Iration Steppas" into Acquisition [limewire] and downloaded "No War Dub" and some other track. All i can say is wow! I cant imagine how that must sound through 12 18" Scoops! Its almost unreal how much Bass there is there! Very hard hitting aggressive Bass - I LOVE IT - this could be a bad thing...

My computer speakers are great at hitting these notes! You wouldent believe it! I've corner loaded the Sub and it vibrates my desk! HeHeHe this is great!

- Happy, Joe.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2006 at 4:01am
Smokey Joe, from you've come across Iration Steppas, seems like you've been introduced to Roots Reggae music.

If you like "No War Dub" try & check out "Dubz From De Higher Regionz"

Very heavy indeed. I use this CD to demonstrate to people, the depth of sub bass.
I always use a track called "Whey dem a go do when da right time come"
Deep bass & expressive drum track.
Toxic will back me up on that, as I know he has it on Vinyl. 

You are 100% correct, 12 scoops does sound incredible, & the bass is played very deep. I don't know why you think it's a bad thing, the only bad thing about it maybe if you get into heavy bass too deep, the neighbours & your parents will more than likely hate it.

Anyway Smokey, back to your decision on 15'' scoops, what I did is, I went & saw a guys 15'' scoops, then he showed me the same size box but the hole was cut for an 18''.

He played the both of them, It sounded deeper than the 15'' so that's what I went with.
Some builders build them about 2-foot wide to play lower, & some build them 20'' wide for 18''s & narrower @ 17'' wide for 15''s

They can all fit in a 5-door car, normally singularly.

Good luck mate.

SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2006 at 9:51am
I just thought it might be a bad thing because now all i want is 12 18" 1850 loaded scoops and everyone knows i can't afford that!

Hehehe thanks for that info Tekasis, i'm going to download a couple more of those tracks, and destroy (probably) my computer speakers sub! Just out of interest, what frequency are those deep bass notes in the Iration Steppas music? Surley its about 40Hz? 45? 30!?

I think im going to build a pair of WELL BRACED fane design Scoops. I would build the MicroScooper but i prefer the oldskool look the original scoops have. And with these round grilles on them they will look really aggressive! Perfect!

Thanks, SmokeyJoe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>