Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18" Folded Horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18" Folded Horns
    Posted: 16 August 2012 at 1:48pm
Are there any other folded horns out there, approx same size as Martin WSX, that can extend to 45hz @ -3db in pairs, like WSX ?

Previously asked about modding 186Horn to 7ft Length, but no interest.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
ewbxbassfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbxbassfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 4:54pm
the WSX is a pretty good attempt there, will be a pain in the ass to improve it..
maybe the 186horn combined with new drivers that can be pushed a little bit more on the low end would be a solution?
i think there has been some decent evolution of drivers since rog created that horn.. maybe we can make some use out of it? got to calculate some stuff.. but i'm still a newb when it comes to horn-calculating so if some of the "gurus" could step in? :)
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 6:50pm
hey

yeah if your looking for a horn about the size of a WSX, that plays about the same range as a WSX, then whats up with a WSX?

Loaded with a V18 is is supposedly even better than the proper Martin version, a stack of 4 or more really does some damage.

k
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by ewbxbassfreak ewbxbassfreak wrote:

the WSX is a pretty good attempt there, will be a pain in the ass to improve it..
maybe the 186horn combined with new drivers that can be pushed a little bit more on the low end would be a solution?
i think there has been some decent evolution of drivers since rog created that horn.. maybe we can make some use out of it? got to calculate some stuff.. but i'm still a newb when it comes to horn-calculating so if some of the "gurus" could step in? :)

I'm thinking of just extending 186 horn length from 5.5ft to 7ft.

Should be do-able in cab 1220H 600W 900D
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

hey

yeah if your looking for a horn about the size of a WSX, that plays about the same range as a WSX, then whats up with a WSX?

Loaded with a V18 is is supposedly even better than the proper Martin version, a stack of 4 or more really does some damage.

k

Yep, know all about WSX.

Problem is, no point trying to play this cab inside, unless venue is huge, and crowd is distance from stacks.
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 8:47pm
How about the earlier Martin F1b? its a shorter horn path than the WSX but doesn't seem to suffer the problems that the WSX sometimes has indoors. Nice little bin actually, allways been happy with them.
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 8:50am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Are there any other folded horns out there, approx same size as Martin WSX, that can extend to 45hz @ -3db in pairs, like WSX ?

Surely the invader fits this question? or am i looking at the wrong plots Confused
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Tocooltom Tocooltom wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Surely the invader fits this question? or am i looking at the wrong plots Confused

Was told Invader had habit of munching V18-1000s, and couldn't do < 50hz in pairs ?
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 11:48am
i thought the fane driver was the best one for it?

to be honest i havent heard the invaders with just 2, always been 4 or more
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Tocooltom Tocooltom wrote:

i thought the fane driver was the best one for it?

to be honest i havent heard the invaders with just 2, always been 4 or more

I mentioned pairs, because I know if pair can do 45hz @ -3db, then will be all gravy 4+.

However just read, for ALL long flh, pointless for venues of < 1k capacity.

Does that also mean crowd also need to be at least 15M away outdoors ?
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 12:04pm
Lev,

horns are not the right cabinet for the job if only using pairs for small indoor gigs. You can usually get them to work ok, but you would get more reliable results using high-power, modern drivers in reflex boxes. A ported/hybrid horn might be a suitable alternative?

http://hornplans.free.fr/hr118.html

me so horny, me love you long throw.
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 12:22pm
Cerwin Vegas?

I'm really, really tired of this nonsense that FLHs are totally useless inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>