Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18" Folded Horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 12:25pm
Mykey's invader modification...

Not sure which driver this is simmed with but it does the job surely?

Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

I would like to suggest a more easier build by doing away with all the throat chamber DOINGS

make a rectangular LETTER BOX throat same as what I have done on the C4-S. Make the area 450cm, this would give even loading on the driver and will be a far easier build 

normal loading, not offset 

Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

1 x Invader Ang 2.0 x pi Eg 2.83

4 x invader Ang 0.5 x pi  Eg 1.41

4 x invader 0.5 x Pi Eg 2.83

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

Lev,
horns are not the right cabinet for the job if only using pairs for small indoor gigs.

Application is not for pairs in small indoor gigs. Already have cabs for that. Wink

As said previously,  V18 WSX "can" do 45hz in pairs, so using that as a yard stick.

To remove confusion, requirement is for stack of 4x to hit 40hz @ -3db, with response 40-100hz.
Seems above plots show Invader won't do this, not forgetting HR sims will be "very" optimistic.

Would only be using drivers available in UK, min ref efficiency of 2.2%, with Xmax of (hc-hg/2) + 2 being min 10mm, min BL 28.

Edited by levyte357- - 17 August 2012 at 12:50pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

40hz @ -3db

can you explain exactly what you mean by this (specifically the -3db part)? i am now confusedConfused
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 1:22pm
Punishers will play to 45Hz and lower fine in a stack of 4,  4 Punishers is not a lot bigger than 2 x most 18" folded horns, WSX=570L, Invaders=531L, Punishers=285L each so a pair is 570L,   They work very well in small venues.  2 x Punishers will have better power handling than pretty much anything that you put in a single 18" bin.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

Cerwin Vegas?

I'm really, really tired of this nonsense that FLHs are totally useless inside.

From experience of owning numerous cabinets, including several massive FLH. I would say there are easier boxes to use in small spaces than long FLHs. With boxes like the WSX, you can get massive variations in the performance depending on where in the room the boxes are, what shape the room is, etc. Reflex cabinets are far less tempramental in this environment. This is normally accademic though because nobody in their right mind would choose big FLH bass cabinets for small gigs in small rooms.

In large rooms like 600+ capacity clubs, warehouses and sports hall, FLH perform as reliably as any other box.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 4:20pm
k1 is the answer. The only downfall is 1 cabinet will do 33hz and it doesn't use a 18''
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 5:19pm
hey

I've been playing about with a ported horn design for a V18 for a wee bit.

Its on the to-do list, but I've been thinking of just sticking the sims and rough first drawing I have up here to let people have a play and test it, pick apart the design and perfect it, make it more of a community build as to be honest don't know if/when i'll get round to it, certainly won't be till next summer at the earliest.

It'll do what you want, 100 or so litres smaller than a WSX, designed to fire out the thin end of the cuboid cab so 4 or 6 makes a neat small stack, and should be a pretty simple build its almost a straight horn with just one bend in it.

On cab has a bit of a rising response but 4 is pretty flat and 6 (the way I plan to use it) even better.

I'll try and draw up what I have over the weekend and stick it in the new projects forum you can see what you think.

k
dj haydn View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj haydn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

Cerwin Vegas?

I'm really, really tired of this nonsense that FLHs are totally useless inside.

i use 4 of the l36's loaded with void, sometimes in venues that are only 300 capacity and there's no issue of it not being bassy enough, many times on soundcheck the lights fall out and we have to use foam and rubber to stop the decks and mixers falling out the dj booth, however in some venues i also encounter some of the issues many have said before where the bass seems more apparent behind the stack or in the corner of the room, but never an issue of not enough bass, id love to see the sim's of the v18 in this cab to compare against some other designs, i'm sure they aren't the best but as the quote suggests i agree its nonsense that this cab is useless, its worked well for me so far anyway

Edited by dj haydn - 17 August 2012 at 7:17pm
contact me for booking the Earwax Sound-system
@ Earwaxsoundsystem@hotmail.co.uk
jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 10:48pm
Would you say that WSXs go lower than invaders? For the past couple of months I kinda had it set in my mind that it was invaders Im after but I play D&B so really Im after the deepest sub bass cabinet I can get my hands on (but already I'd ruled out Labs for the expense of maintenence).

Anyone ever heard WSX and Invaders who can enlighten me??
Wrek0ne View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

hey

I've been playing about with a ported horn design for a V18 for a wee bit.

Its on the to-do list, but I've been thinking of just sticking the sims and rough first drawing I have up here to let people have a play and test it, pick apart the design and perfect it, make it more of a community build as to be honest don't know if/when i'll get round to it, certainly won't be till next summer at the earliest.

It'll do what you want, 100 or so litres smaller than a WSX, designed to fire out the thin end of the cuboid cab so 4 or 6 makes a neat small stack, and should be a pretty simple build its almost a straight horn with just one bend in it.

On cab has a bit of a rising response but 4 is pretty flat and 6 (the way I plan to use it) even better.

I'll try and draw up what I have over the weekend and stick it in the new projects forum you can see what you think.

k

Kevin i would be very interested to see your design and input data as it sound much the same as a recent project i took on, mine is a double 12" ported horn using the 12sb30 as my base driver with certain others seriously out performing but at three times the price, I have managed to make the double cabinate 460L with the external dimensions of 40*120*95cm, only plays to 55Hz but has a wide bandwidth up to 180Hz which is reasonably flat with one box and completely flat from 50-150Hz when its couples in a group of 4 double boxes (my avatar is actually a screen shot of the design). It does shows that with the port as the lower extension you can gain just that little bit more form a design that has a size constraint. I then went on to hornresp a ULF 18" version loaded with the PD1850 (im sure the V18 could hack it), which plays 32-100Hz with the same lay out in mind (with no 3D model as of yet) changing the external dimensions to 60*120*95cm so it comes in at a wopping 680L but does produce the goods (apparently according to hornresp).
Poll this!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2012 at 1:19pm
have a look here for the V18 stuff:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/topic69973_post696190.html#696190

k
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2012 at 2:00pm
To get topic back on track, point of this thread is to discuss modifying 186 horn, to

a) Fit 7ft horn in box 1200H 600W 900D
b) 4x pack of these to hit 40hz @ -3db
c) 4x pack fairly flat to 120hz
d) 18" driver only
e) Not interested in ported horns
f) Invader not suitable for me at this time

Only interested in Fane, PD, Celestion divers, for this one, sick of pricing/supply issues with other manufacturers now.

Edited by levyte357- - 11 September 2012 at 1:10am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>