Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18sound kit 18 sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18sound kit 18 sub
    Posted: 20 February 2013 at 5:21pm
I have build one now with pd186. But i dont like it, there are very little sub?

The test was in a small livingroom with the sub some where in the center and the mic 1m from cab and 1/2 m up.
Could this be because of the room or the driver right out of the box brand new? Or maybe the cab doesnt fit the driver?
I was hoping for that the driver have to be "played in" to loosen up...?

Any thoughts please.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:30pm
What sub design is it? Volume, tuning etc. have you simmed it?
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:39pm
Yeah its around 150L i think and tuned to 39-40hz looked nice to 40ish hz... But not irl...
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by LjudLahger LjudLahger wrote:

The test was in a small livingroom with the sub some where in the center and the mic 1m from cab and 1/2 m up.
Could this be because of the room or the driver right out of the box brand new? Or maybe the cab doesnt fit the driver?

Any thoughts please.

Yes, doing your tests in a small room is always going to run the risk of very skewed results, you should try to get outside, or at least in as large a room as possible.
Also, are you using the 6dB boost at 30Hz required by the 18Sound plan? If not, it'll definitely be lighter on bass than you probably want.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Originally posted by LjudLahger LjudLahger wrote:

Any thoughts please.

Yes, doing your tests in a small room is always going to run the risk of very skewed results, you should try to get outside, or at least in as large a room as possible.
Also, are you using the 6dB boost at 30Hz required by the 18Sound plan? If not, it'll definitely be lighter on bass than you probably want.

Aha! Then i will try it in a bigger room ;-)

No at this first test, no eq to start with. I did want to hear what the cab + driver could do first.
And the sim did show (because of lower bl and higher vas i guess) that it would be much straighter, not the same slope/fall before 40 hz, so I thought this driver would be great....
But this is my first 18 reflex so....
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:44pm
Don't give up on it yet!

As above, try in a larger room.  In a small room both the position of the sub and where you stand will make huge differences.  Are you saying there isn't any 'sub' just because of the measurement or using your ears as well?  What microphone are you using?  Even some measurement mics aren't flat at the very bottom end.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:56pm
155lit is a bit smallish for 18 inch sub.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Don't give up on it yet!

As above, try in a larger room.  In a small room both the position of the sub and where you stand will make huge differences.  Are you saying there isn't any 'sub' just because of the measurement or using your ears as well?  What microphone are you using?  Even some measurement mics aren't flat at the very bottom end.

First my ears, then measurement with deq and the berry mic ecm or what its called...
But I have read here somewere that you need to play drivers for 10-20h loo loosen em' up, whats your thoughts about that? Seen pictures with drivers on the floor playing for this purpes...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:12pm
Here is the plot. Red - 18sound kit 18 sub, Yellow - B&C sub 18. Looks good on there...

login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:13pm
ye this is true, when my fane primes were brand new they were good but nothing on what they are now they have run in a bit. seem to drop lower and warmer sounding.
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:18pm
Sweet! I will have another go this weekend.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:18pm
Maybe try doing the measurements at low wattage without the steep crossover.  At 1 watt 1 meter, you should not go over xmax without the HPF and it could be skewing the results of what the speaker can do.  From the pic it looks like you have 48 db/oct at 25hz and then 80 hz at 24db/oct butterworth right?  Maybe just for the test run without that.  At war volume it would obviously be needed, but these measurements are to see what the box is doing, not what the crossover is doing.  I apologize if I am misinterpreting the pic.

Edited by b grade - 20 February 2013 at 11:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>