Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18sound kit 18 sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 6:00am
Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

Maybe try doing the measurements at low wattage without the steep crossover.  At 1 watt 1 meter, you should not go over xmax without the HPF and it could be skewing the results of what the speaker can do.  From the pic it looks like you have 48 db/oct at 25hz and then 80 hz at 24db/oct butterworth right?  Maybe just for the test run without that.  At war volume it would obviously be needed, but these measurements are to see what the box is doing, not what the crossover is doing.  I apologize if I am misinterpreting the pic.

You are absolute right.
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 6:35pm
Today I had another test run.

Much happier now :-)

Forgot my test mic but let my ears decide.

Started with no highpass and 80Hz lowpass 24dB.

At mid volume they sounded quite nice and after an hour or so we started to mix the filters.

At 25 hz 12/18/24/48 dB and to be true, did not hear much difference!

So 48dB we choose and started to ad eq as the plan said, but 6dB at 30Hz was way to much! I think that you get a "knee" the stepper filter you get or something so 3dB sounded nice at dubstep.

Super happy over that, lowpass was at test.

18sound wrote that 120hz would be good, but sounded baaaad.
100Hz 24dB and eq -3dB at 90Hz made the kick clean and not muddy. Maybe not the best but sounded good with rock and pop.

Result, deeeep and work with eurodance, pop and dubstep. Could play every tone at same force.

Really nice cab! Must have been placement in the room before or the eq.

So now I have to build 3 more:-)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 7:24pm
Update!

After some thinking I decided to try a bigger and lower tuned cab to have a taste of that and then choose.
Like B&C sub 18, 183L but the port tuned to 35, the one in the plan was 42-43 or something...
The cab is now done and up for test tomorrow :-)
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 7:34pm
It sounds as you are becoming addicted to low bass. Now you see why many choose reflex cabinets.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 7:37pm
Yeah a whole new world after using horns with 15" and highpass at 45hz :-)

Edited by LjudLahger - 05 March 2013 at 7:37pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 7:49pm
I high-pass mine at 10 Hz, 6 dB per octave. As you become more familiar with drivers designed for reflex cabinets, you will realise the most popular drivers are not the best choice for a reflex bin especially when you are building large cabinets.

Best Regards,     
Elliot Thompson
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

I high-pass mine at 10 Hz, 6 dB per octave. As you become more familiar with drivers designed for reflex cabinets, you will realise the most popular drivers are not the best choice for a reflex bin especially when you are building large cabinets.

Best Regards,     

So is my choice right for reflex, you think?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 9:59pm
It really depends on the cabinet size. The G Sub’s outer dimension is equivalent to my Double Fifteen cabinets, which are smaller than the outer dimensions of my Double Eighteens cabinets. My Double Eighteens cabinets are smaller than my Double Twenty-Ones cabinets. Woofers that require a large box will offer more SPL below 50 Hz, providing you design a box large enough to make it possible.

There is really no need to mimic the plans offered by B&C unless you are planning to use the woofers recommended by B&C. Since I created my own designs from ground up, my designs give me what I want and not what a manufacture feels is appropriate. You are not an intermediate designer so there is no need to settle for pre-made designs when you have the capability to create your own design based on your requirements.

Scale your own dimensions with various drivers in Bass Box Pro to determine which driver will give you 35 Hz flat since that is what you are aiming for.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 10:32pm
i built a pair of the 18sound sub 18s. have 18sound 18nd9300s in them (i think they're the ones).

and i have a pair of random bigger reflex boxes with fand 18xb in them, and i won't make even the slightest claim to have done any scientific testing, but i'm sure i get more noise out of the fane loaded cab. run the 18sound ones with the eq settings as specc'd in the design..

my little rigs are in a bit of a jumble at the moment but soon enough i'll be in a better position to do some proper A/B comparisons.

do like the 18sound boxes though. pretty compact and with the neo driver they're an easy lift.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

It really depends on the cabinet size. The G Sub’s outer dimension is equivalent to my Double Fifteen cabinets, which are smaller than the outer dimensions of my Double Eighteens cabinets. My Double Eighteens cabinets are smaller than my Double Twenty-Ones cabinets. Woofers that require a large box will offer more SPL below 50 Hz, providing you design a box large enough to make it possible.

There is really no need to mimic the plans offered by B&C unless you are planning to use the woofers recommended by B&C. Since I created my own designs from ground up, my designs give me what I want and not what a manufacture feels is appropriate. You are not an intermediate designer so there is no need to settle for pre-made designs when you have the capability to create your own design based on your requirements.

Scale your own dimensions with various drivers in Bass Box Pro to determine which driver will give you 35 Hz flat since that is what you are aiming for.

Best Regards,

Thank's for your advice! A little bit more confident now :-)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 7:17am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

i built a pair of the 18sound sub 18s. have 18sound 18nd9300s in them (i think they're the ones).

and i have a pair of random bigger reflex boxes with fand 18xb in them, and i won't make even the slightest claim to have done any scientific testing, but i'm sure i get more noise out of the fane loaded cab. run the 18sound ones with the eq settings as specc'd in the design..

my little rigs are in a bit of a jumble at the moment but soon enough i'll be in a better position to do some proper A/B comparisons.

do like the 18sound boxes though. pretty compact and with the neo driver they're an easy lift.

Sounds sweet! I'm sure those 18sound loaded cabs sound nice and a A/B test would had be fun to look at :-)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 7:26am
Yesterday we loaded the cab and did a test by our ears.
The bigger one did go lower and with a little bit more spl under 50hz.
The 18sound cab had more spl over 50hz and sounded more musical
and punchier at music. The bigger one had bigger cone movement too.

Really don't know yet wich cab I perfer yet. More testing to do :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>