Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 in 8 out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 in 8 out
    Posted: 28 November 2016 at 9:13pm
My BSS omnidrive 388 is playing up again. I'm sending it in to dba to be looked at this week but it might end up being uneconomic to repair. Any recommendations for a replacement should this be the case?
100% Earth Moving Bass
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 9:42pm
budget?

error 404
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 9:47pm
do you want another? i have a turbo lms700 that i blanked all the turbo presets off.. so it's just a blank 388 now.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 10:31pm
Maybe, does it work 100%?
100% Earth Moving Bass
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 10:36pm
as far as i know, yes. it was in an install before i got it.. i've never really had any cause to use it so it's been on the shelf. dug it out to clean it up to sell a while ago, figured i'd factory reset it to remove the user presets, but didn't realise that would clear all the turbo ones too. oops.

what went wrong with yours?
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 10:47pm
It's latest problem is that you have to switch it on and off a couple of times before all the outputs work. The other problem it did have, and went in for repair once before maybe a year or so ago, was display flickering and all output meter LEDs hitting the top and popping and banging through the outputs. The problem was in the power supply and was sorted out. However it did that again Saturday when I used it. I thumped the top of the rack and it settled down and worked perfectly for the rest of the night. George at dba suggested it might have an issue with the dsp board, if it is it's pretty much game over.
100% Earth Moving Bass
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 11:18pm
ouch. they're proper problems alright.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 11:33pm
I'd normally fix any problems myself, but this Is a bit beyond what I can do. . I've a feeling it will be bad news hence my seeing what else is out there at the moment. I do like the 388 and I'd have another one but I'd need to be sure it would be 100% reliable.
100% Earth Moving Bass
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 12:20am
yeah. they're such a critical bit of kit. i'm not aware of anything wrong with the one i have, but it is 20 years old. my phone camera is rubbish but here are some photos of it.

anyway, sure see what comes back on yours, and what others say here. the lead suggestion these days will probably be the dbmark 8 out ones. or andy blue aran just posted one on his ebay (in for sale section here).
aziz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aziz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 1:24am
Hi Steve
Well in the 14 years that I had that lms, I never had a problem with it but as you said its getting a little long in the tooth now
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 3:30am
I've had Bss 388 and Turbosound LMS700.

Now upgraded to  DBMark DP4/8 MKIV.

Walks all over my old '388s in terms of sound quality, versatility.

No more d*cking around trying to find lead and s/w to link to laptop, and ability to play 5x way stereo (summed kick and sub), is priceless.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 9:57am
Get the Linea SC48 if you want a proper good DSP. Or the NST Audio / FFA unit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>