Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 Way Passive Tops VS 3 Way Passive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Five & Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Way Passive Tops VS 3 Way Passive
    Posted: 25 April 2016 at 10:39pm

Hi All I Have A 2 Way Passive Top Which Has A 12" Woofer And A 2" Exit Horn
The Crossover Network Inside Is Peavey Ecs 1800x I Would Like To Know If
I Change The Crossover To A 3 Way Like The Peavey ECS-3X And Add A 6" Mid Range
Would I Get More Output.

Let The Music Play
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 11:26pm
No, add a second 12 and then biamp the cab with the 2" CD crossed at 1khz and you will have 6dB more output and much better SQ.. assuming the horn will support a crossover that low.

Edited by Conanski - 25 April 2016 at 11:29pm
Five & View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Five & Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 12:10am
Thanks for your reply the only problem is I don't which to go biamp
As amp channels are limited in my small setup currently am using one 10000q to run 4 bottoms and 4 passive tops.
Let The Music Play
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 1:24am
Well you got to pay to play, adding a 6" mid will just displace some output from the 12s with no net SPL gain, if you don't add more drivers and biamp then you need to trade up to some other passive boxes with more output.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 1:34am
An off the shelf passive crossover is almost never right for the drivers people pair it with. Adding a third will likely only cause further issues in terms of time and response unless you build a custom crossover for it.
Five & View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Five & Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 2:30am

Thanks For All Your Input So Biamp Is The Way To Go For More Output

Replacing My 2 Way Passive Crossover With A 3 Way Crossover And Adding A 6"Mids Is Only Dividing The Output To Each Driver.
Let The Music Play
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 7:38am
All this advice could be wrong !!

What drivers are you actually using ?
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 7:44am
Also , how big is the box in litres ?
What crossover frequency and slope does your passive crossover employ?
And what horn are you using for the compression driver ?

Edited by matty w - 27 April 2016 at 7:45am
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Five & View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Five & Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 2:40am
Box Size H 25" W 16" D 15"
Crossover Peavey ECS-1800X
1800 Hz 12 dB/octave crossover frequency
Horns are B&C DE750TN-8 2" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm
Let The Music Play
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 1:18pm
you have a few issues to consider with those drivers. the 12" mids will start to beam at around 1.2kHz so you don't really want a crossover point as high as 1.8kHz. there are a number of impedance peaks in the B&C driver response so you would need to notch filter these if using a passive crossover. there is a big peak at about 16kHz which probably indicates diaphragm break-up. u may be better off with a 1.4" driver.

the peavey crossovers include some HF boost so they should be used with constant directivity (conical) horns. I'm sceptical whether a pre-made crossover can be used with any old drivers and I think the peavey recommendation to use a 1.8kHz crossover with a 12" or 15" driver is wrong.

it's very difficult to cover the full-range with two drivers - you have to decide which compromises are least offensive to you.
sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

you have a few issues to consider with those drivers. the 12" mids will start to beam at around 1.2kHz so you don't really want a crossover point as high as 1.8kHz. there are a number of impedance peaks in the B&C driver response so you would need to notch filter these if using a passive crossover. there is a big peak at about 16kHz which probably indicates diaphragm break-up. u may be better off with a 1.4" driver.

the peavey crossovers include some HF boost so they should be used with constant directivity (conical) horns. I'm sceptical whether a pre-made crossover can be used with any old drivers and I think the peavey recommendation to use a 1.8kHz crossover with a 12" or 15" driver is wrong.

it's very difficult to cover the full-range with two drivers - you have to decide which compromises are least offensive to you.

Hi Snowflake , what would be the ideal setup for you in a mid high cab assumingly having a 18"reflex cab below?

Mike

Edited by sounds4u - 29 April 2016 at 1:31pm
Five & View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Five & Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 2:32pm
Thanks Much.
Let The Music Play
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>