Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24" drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 4:56pm
Sorry Elliot, I am well aware that headphones are loudspeakers, I prefer to feel my bass though! 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by MPASOUND MPASOUND wrote:

16x6" drivers gives me roughly equivalent sd to 2x18" and sounds much better.
I thought your comment was aimed only towards 18" 

Forgot to say with 15mm Xmax suspension you got left 5^2 cm of Sd left

Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

To get 4 8" drivers moving is probably easier than one 18". Consider a 2" motor on an 8" bit of paper, vs the typical 4" motor on an 18" paper circle. The lower mass of the 8 will move more accurately to the relative high mass of an 18?

Now consider your distortions.
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 5:13pm
Forgot to say with 15mm Xmax suspension you got left 5^2 cm of Sd left

That all depends on who's 18's you are comparing too. Also I quoted sd and didn't mention x-max. This is a HiFi, I don't need 15mm of x-max. Each driver barely moves at normal listening levels. 
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by MPASOUND MPASOUND wrote:

Sorry Elliot, I am well aware that headphones are loudspeakers, I prefer to feel my bass though! 

I am a strong advocate on low bass hence, owning lots of double twenty-ones, double eighteens that have no issues delivering 20 Hertz. For those who cannot achieve 20 Hertz with their speakers, headphones are the next best option instead of settling for anything less.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Crashpc Crashpc wrote:

Picking smaller excursion of the smaller driver doesn't make much sense, as the larger driver can stay in smaller excursiona too. That's no advantage of the smaller driver. Actially larger excursion driver has better potential to stay linear in higher excursion.

Coil to cone ratio is fair note, but doesn't set absolute values.

The idea of many drivers in one box is interesting, but we're not there - in the age of picking it over larger drivers.

Consider that, most 18" drivers are not very linear at all due to the high xmax required.A larger driver can stay at small excursion however the requirement is for it to produce sound pressure levels at the optimum amount which takes it out of any linear characteristics that it may have.

The same sound pressure levels can be achieved with smaller multiple drivers but with a more linear result due to the ability of the voice coil to remain at its optimum efficiency (within the field). Think of this..the motor is essentially two magnetic fields one fixed and one created by the VC.the point at which non linear characteristics are introduced is when (given a single frequency) of say 30HZ is when the VC starts to leave the most intense part of the fixed magnetic field. This is a characteristic of most high powered 18 drivers where normal excursion produces variations in EMF within the motor that contribute to the non linear response or distortion. The cone flexing and power compression are also issues that smaller drivers suffer from less.

Edited by 70,s hero - 23 February 2017 at 10:20am
Top banana
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:26am
The only real issue of multiple drivers Vs a single, would be when the wave length being reproduced gets to be of the order of magnitude of the dimension of the baffle in which the drivers are in.

So the left most driver(s) would start to interact with the output of the right most driver(s), off axis, with a path length difference, leading to comb filtering type artefacts.

However, on a "big" driver, the wave emanating from extreme left Vs extreme right, of axis, will also have a path length difference.

IIRC the late Windmill Tilter did a mid box with a 4 highx2 wide array of 8" drivers, on a V baffle, and got a significant dip at 800Hz, speculated to be from just such a path length issue. However, for a bass bin crossed at 120Hz, not an issue?

At low enough frequencies where wavelength is much greater than driver spacing, no great issue, but as wavelength becomes of the order of magnitude of driver spacing, you will get an effect. Same as having a long (wide) array of bass bins for directionality reasons. If it is out of band, no worries, but with reflex, you can always run a bit higher....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:45am

Oh well image didnt post, was 8x10 bass cab

Edited by 70,s hero - 23 February 2017 at 11:09am
Top banana
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

That multi-valve engine comparison forgets that the by product is loss of low down torque and peaky curve. Manufacturers would love to go back to 2v per cylinder, emissions is why not.
24's are the Big Block Chevy, 2 valves, one camshaft, sod the planet.

Err. No.

Having fecked, at extraordinary length, with the heads on a couple of motors, and discussed with some incredibly knowledgeable chaps (race engine builders), one of the main reasons for multi-valve is simple geometry.

4 small (round) valves fit inside one big circle better than 2 larger valves, for the same big circle. More flow throw 4 small, vs 2 large.

Whilst I acknowledge simple "more-air/fuel-in-is-power-at-RPM" related argument, torque is easy too. We cracked a 1712 CC Alfa 4 cylinder boxer, 16V, to in excess of 180BHP, normally aspirated, and met emissions, and idled happily at 800rpm, and the wife was not embarrassed by noise or other laddy shite, unless I went passed 4500RPM. Then it went berserk....progressive from idle to 4K, then came "on cam" fully, all the way to 8500RPM.

Through inlet tract length and diameter, and adding volume behind valves, and asymmetric valve sizes, and asymmetric lobe profiles (one inlet cam lobe opened the smaller valve before the other larger valve), we maintained even and high torque throughout the rev band, enough to happily drive a 4WD system, which would chirp the tyres 2nd to 3rd!

The reasons why the Americans have traditionally tuned by capacity, adding cylinders or litres (in^3!), is simple - their "optimax" top quality fuel is 88RON. You can't run compression ratio of over 9.5:1, maybe 10:1 if your lucky, before it pre-ignites. Euro/Jap fuel is up to 98RON, I happily run at 12.5:1 CR, which further aids torque and overall engine efficiency, i.e maximum BHP and lb/Ft per squirt of fuel.

Understand all of that, but compare the personality of the following
8v Vauxhall to 16v
8v Golf to 16v
12v Vauxhall 6 pot to 24v
12v Merc 6 pot to 24v

Every one of those has 8v more usable drivability without revs. They have a personality rather than a benign nature and in my experience use a damn sight less fuel. Yep, in a scream it race they are slower. Modern 4v engines have become a method of propulsion lead by emissions and fuel economy (lies included). An old Fiat 1100 has a fizzy smile on face nature ( as did your Alfa, but thats an old 16v that wasn't trying to appease Erop AND you have messed with it), a modern 1100 is up 50% on power but benign. Drive any little hire car today, they are just flat. I get the yank thing with the RON, but a V8 on low quality fuel is better than no V8.
BTW. I actually said manufactures would like to have 2v engines. I stand by this, they would, less parts is good for profit, but they no longer can due to restrictions

V8 = SMILE      24" = SMILE

Edited by nickyburnell - 23 February 2017 at 3:32pm
It's everything, not everythink!
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by 70,s hero 70,s hero wrote:

Consider that, most 18" drivers are not very linear at all due to the high xmax required.A larger driver can stay at small excursion however the requirement is for it to produce sound pressure levels at the optimum amount which takes it out of any linear characteristics that it may have.

The same sound pressure levels can be achieved with smaller multiple drivers but with a more linear result due to the ability of the voice coil to remain at its optimum efficiency (within the field). Think of this..the motor is essentially two magnetic fields one fixed and one created by the VC.the point at which non linear characteristics are introduced is when (given a single frequency) of say 30HZ is when the VC starts to leave the most intense part of the fixed magnetic field. This is a characteristic of most high powered 18 drivers where normal excursion produces variations in EMF within the motor that contribute to the non linear response or distortion. The cone flexing and power compression are also issues that smaller drivers suffer from less.

That looks very irrelevant to me. We´re looking at particular outcome. I.E. Linearity, excursion, displacement. Not at the datasheet data. There is no hard set higher requirement for 21" or 18" to have larger Xmax than what 12" drivers have. But while it HAS, it will work in more linear fashion under Xmas, while 12" driver would have to be AT its Xmax for the same output.
I.E.: 21DS115 has 36mm long voice coil and 14mm top plate. That is pure mathematical 11mm of old-school Xmax, where the coil doesn´t leave the gap. I note, that it is deep and thick gap, to use it later.
Then there is 12NW100 and 12TBX100 in the B&C line, which has 25mm long voice coil and 12mm thick pole pieces. That is 6,5mm of mathematical Xmax.  For the 21DS115, that excursion is significantly under its Xmax. I would not hesitate to say fully 2x. In that excursion, the 21DS115 will work in more linear fashion than group of 12"s. Also, the thicker the pole piece, the less distortion you have at, or past this Xmax, beccause less % of the gap is unused when you go lets say 2mm past Xmax. For example for 4mm pole piece, it is half of its thickness. Serious distortion. For 14mm pole piece, it is under 15%.  So for the linearity and displacement, larger speakers with larger possible excursions usually have the edge.
The idea of more voice coils is cool, but it doesn´t deliver yet. Only if you have serious money, and you put more drivers in the box, so the sd area is larger. Then it is superior.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Crashpc Crashpc wrote:

Originally posted by 70,s hero 70,s hero wrote:

That looks very irrelevant to me. We´re looking at particular outcome. I.E. Linearity, excursion, displacement. Not at the datasheet data. There is no hard set higher requirement for 21" or 18" to have larger Xmax than what 12" drivers have. But while it HAS, it will work in more linear fashion under Xmas, while 12" driver would have to be AT its Xmax for the same output.
I.E.: 21DS115 has 36mm long voice coil and 14mm top plate. That is pure mathematical 11mm of old-school Xmax, where the coil doesn´t leave the gap. I note, that it is deep and thick gap, to use it later.
Then there is 12NW100 and 12TBX100 in the B&C line, which has 25mm long voice coil and 12mm thick pole pieces. That is 6,5mm of mathematical Xmax.  For the 21DS115, that excursion is significantly under its Xmax. I would not hesitate to say fully 2x. In that excursion, the 21DS115 will work in more linear fashion than group of 12"s. Also, the thicker the pole piece, the less distortion you have at, or past this Xmax, beccause less % of the gap is unused when you go lets say 2mm past Xmax. For example for 4mm pole piece, it is half of its thickness. Serious distortion. For 14mm pole piece, it is under 15%.  So for the linearity and displacement, larger speakers with larger possible excursions usually have the edge.
The idea of more voice coils is cool, but it doesn´t deliver yet. Only if you have serious money, and you put more drivers in the box, so the sd area is larger. Then it is superior.

In isolation looking at the 21DS115, B C go in to some detail within thier explanation of the design parameters with reduced excursion providing less distortion which happens to be what I have been advocating, I see that they quote xmech in place of xmax which is sometimes confusing. xmax is the distance that the vc can travel before it starts to leave the magnetic gap. Regardless of this the fundamentals remain where larger drivers have higher amounts of distortion over smaller ones due to various mechanical and electrical properties.  
Top banana
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 5:22pm
A little off topic but does any manufacturer spec xmax correctly other than BMS?? Everyone else seems to add a varying degree of 'fudge' factor..
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 5:23pm
They don´t quote Xmech in the place of Xmax.
Xmax is not that parameter anymore due to the obvious reasons I explained. It leaves out magnetic assembly qualities, and mechanical assembly qualities as well. Two speakers with the same "your Xmax" can yield VERY different results. That way, mathematical formula you use is not valid for as, as it doesn´t describe real distortion anymore. It haven´t from the beginning....
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>