Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

27Hz Double scoop w/ 18" drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 27Hz Double scoop w/ 18" drivers
    Posted: 09 April 2011 at 4:06pm
Currently working at designing a somewhat "compact" scoop based on JBL's original 4520 design with AJ-Horn and RLA cues. The cabinets remains the same height and depth as a 4520, but 4" wider to accomodate 18" drivers. Testing will be done with JBL 2240h and e155-8 (very snappy).

Shoud I mention that those will be for home use and parties? No PA duty here. And yes, I am old school and believe that if a 2x200w amp can't drive a bass bin, then the bass bin is wrongly designed. Each bin will be driven by a Yamaha P2200 (one driver, one amp channel).

I already have those with 15" 2225h drivers but want a strong 10Hz extra at the bottom.

Edited by Lee In Montreal - 09 April 2011 at 4:50pm
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 8:08pm
Clap
It just is.
flint45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flint45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:22am
Lee do you have a response chart?
Does your cab behave like a scoop with a response dip?
really do like the look of the cab
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 6:01pm
I used to have 4 x 4520's and a pair of double 18" scoops virtually as you described. They were the same heigt and depth as the 4520's but wider and contained 2 Gauss 18" drivers 4883's if my memory serves me well. The 4520's had Gauss 4583's. Best sound I ever had but cabs were very difficult to move around as no real place to put castors. They are still doing bass duties in Dreams Nightclub in Harlesden, London. 
flint45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flint45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 9:41am
Hello lee
Have just built a single width cabinet based on your design
have found testing it this weekend that it wks extremely well when
the phase is reversed....cab goes very low SAME AS AN X1just more so
 not so good with normal phase
driver I am using is RCF LF 18X400
will experiment with chamber size this week end with a diagonal board
below the driver....
best....Ian
GUSTEK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUSTEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 9:49am
this is very interesting, so not a double super scoop design or the others is it? keeping the same horn legnth as jbl design but with a bigger mouth? sounds awesome, i have wondered if it worked ok because i see the jensen imperial horn was used with 18'' 12'' 21'' even though only designed for 15''! lookin forward ta flints report. cheers, gus   
GUSTEK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUSTEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 9:52am
just looked at the plans.... wicked design! Smile
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Lee In Montreal Lee In Montreal wrote:

Currently working at designing a somewhat "compact" scoop based on JBL's original 4520 design with AJ-Horn and RLA cues. The cabinets remains the same height and depth as a 4520, but 4" wider to accomodate 18" drivers. Testing will be done with JBL 2240h and e155-8 (very snappy).

Shoud I mention that those will be for home use and parties? No PA duty here. And yes, I am old school and believe that if a 2x200w amp can't drive a bass bin, then the bass bin is wrongly designed. Each bin will be driven by a Yamaha P2200 (one driver, one amp channel).

I already have those with 15" 2225h drivers but want a strong 10Hz extra at the bottom.

Many years ago I was a Double 18 scoop guy and still remember how great they sound. I tried the JBL 2240 after losing 4 JBL E-155 due to not watching my rig with a want to be sound guy driving it.All I remember is the JBL E-155's sounded much better with those boxes. It seemed to take more power to get the 2240 sounding right
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
steelnotclay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelnotclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Lee In Montreal Lee In Montreal wrote:

if a 2x200w amp can't drive a bass bin, then the bass bin is wrongly designed.

+1

I hate using any amp over 2x450, 2x200 being my "standard".
I never use anything under 4 ohms too LOL
GUSTEK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUSTEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 8:12am
hows this project going so far? i would be keen to build a couple, any response charts from testing, or pics? 
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 10:49am
looks as if you have taken the length from inside the bottom of the rear chamber?

take the length of the horn from the throat 'start'

length is probably around 2.5/6 m, not 3.16?

27hz?

JBL 2240H looks pretty badConfused

can you show us what Aj is saying?
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 10:52am
27hz quarter space?
 Post Reply Post Reply