Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x10 Bass cab, which drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 9:37am
My opinion is that a bass guitar - even if you play the harmonics - doesnt contain any useful information that high up. Its all hiss and string noise. And if you hit a fuzzbox......
LOUDER THAN LOUD
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 10:34am
Bass guitar generally has information up to 8KHz... but something like a cab that has a -10dB point about 8KHz should work well.

My point was that the general premise of a 210 is to be small, relatively light, punchy and not have insane amounts of LF content... if you need LF content then you need more air moving without sacrificing the transient punch (which generally goes handinhand with the ability to produce high-mid etc.)

In any case, as a practice cab, not knobbing the neighbors off whilst still having a reasonable level of tonally useful output should be the criteria here
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 11:07am
maybe it would be worth looking at alternative 8" - 12" whizzer cone woofers with higher extension?
juancarlosdios View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juancarlosdios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 2:35pm
I play bass for over 20 years. Over the years I had many cabinets and I can assure you is that it is very necessary high frequencies. The 2 x 10 bp102 cabinet whit 4 inch back sealed midrange is the best solution

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juancarlosdios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 2:36pm
I play bass for over 20 years. Over the years I had many cabinets and I can assure you is that it is very necessary high frequencies. The 2 x 10 bp102 cabinet whit 4 inch back sealed midrange is the best solution
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 11:16pm
" the legends falls like a stone after 2khz."

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/hornflare-detail/?model=BH410

The highest note on most bass guitars is C5, around 500hz or so.

It's all harmonics and noise above there.

The Eminence B102 can do the 5th harmonic of C5 , and the BH410 horn will give you nice finger noises, and fit in tight to the woofer.

I own a pair of both, and use for hi-fi with a BMS (JBL 2407) driver around 2Khz.
djk
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by juancarlosdios juancarlosdios wrote:

That does sound like a good idea. The mid will give you a bit more 'bite' without the 'sizzle' of a tweeter, which has never sounded right to me on a bass guitar.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 11:21pm
So what 4" cone driver is efficient enough to keep up with a pair of 10's?
djk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juancarlosdios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 11:30pm
For two bp102 is far enough. A 2 x 10 cab with bp102 loaded had much 95dbspl.
breaking through, bending spoons.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

So what 4" cone driver is efficient enough to keep up with a pair of 10's?

Yes, true, but you only want it to reproduce above 3/4kHz to add a bit of presence in a frequency band where your ear is more sensitive already.

Just picked one at random from BA:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP4FE32AF&browsemode=category

91dB and goes up to 20kHz. Not bad.  

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juancarlosdios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2016 at 5:09pm
This is a woofer not a sealed back midrange.
breaking through, bending spoons.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2016 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by juancarlosdios juancarlosdios wrote:

This is a woofer not a sealed back midrange.

Have you looked at the response curve? Pretty flat up to 15kHz. And as I said, that was the first one that popped up on the Blue Aran search page. No doubt that there are better choices. What would you use then?

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>