Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x15" Below BMS 4590

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2x15" Below BMS 4590
    Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:04am
With eight PD186 below and two BMS4590 above my 4 Fane Col 12MBs aren't quite cutting the mustard when running full steam (120-812hz) in my approx 100L ported cabs tuned to around 70hz.

As I've got the 4590 on the large 2236 horn I figure I might as well decommission the Fane 12MBs for use in another project and upgrade the low mid section, getting a more powerful kick section while I'm at it, by running four ported 15" from 80-650hz below the 4590, and crossing over the co-ax down at 650hz.

I'd like something light/neo to save on shipping costs to Australia.

I've been looking at Eighteensound 15ND930 or BMS 15n620 to do the job, favouring the BMS 15"s.

Are there any other 15" that would fit the bill for low mid section in a ported cab?

No need for high power, my amp will do only 1000w into 4ohm.

Any opinions?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:34pm
B&C 15NW76 is another option.

Will the drivers be arranged vertically?
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

B&C 15NW76 is another option.

Thanks I'll check the B&C 15NW76 out.

Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Will the drivers be arranged vertically?

Yes. I have the 4590s in their own cabs and was planning to do the 15"s in singles also so can move them around as needed.

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:11pm
get 4 more of those 12"s and build a V baffle cab for them like Tony Wilkes V4M?

vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:27am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

get 4 more of those 12"s and build a V baffle cab for them like Tony Wilkes V4M?

I've wanted to do that for a while but the build is a little more complex than I think I can pull off first go around. I'd want to do a few prototypes + measurements first and I don't know if I'll have the time and extra $$ for all that.

A basic cube per single 15" using nice birch ply, some tung oil, and some of markies grill and foam was what I was thinking could be quick and easy and good enough looking and could hopefully give me a bit more thump/kick for the techno/house gigs.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:19am
120hz up a 15" is wasted imo
even those 12" wont need such a large reflex cab, small closed box will do fine with some eq. and wont require port tuning fiddling/prototyping etc.
(many online calculators out there, v baffle will add some gain in the lowmids and a dip at roughly 800ish, at least with a rel. steep angle like tonys v4m)

have you properly measured your system? Phase response/alignment?

vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:26am

120hz up a 15" is wasted imo
even those 12" wont need such a large reflex cab, small closed box will do fine with some eq. and wont require port tuning fiddling/prototyping etc.
(many online calculators out there, v baffle will add some gain in the lowmids and a dip at roughly 800ish, at least with a rel. steep angle like tonys v4m)

have you properly measured your system? Phase response/alignment?

The 15"s would be run from 80hz up.

I previously had the Fanes in a sealed enclosure. Didn't like the sound, Still don't like it ported though.

It's not at all time/phase align although I have tried. I dont know if I have a dead enough space properly measure it in...
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:02am
misread the pd186 bit, thought its 186horns (hence 120hz up suggestion..), but even reflex cabs should play higher than 80 with ease with some eq/xover adjustment?

your 100l BR for the fanes is per pair i take it?

re alignment, it really makes a big difference, would check that/make sure its spot on prior to further investments ;)
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:28am

misread the pd186 bit, thought its 186horns (hence 120hz up suggestion..), but even reflex cabs should play higher than 80 with ease with some eq/xover adjustment?

your 100l BR for the fanes is per pair i take it?

re alignment, it really makes a big difference, would check that/make sure its spot on prior to further investments ;) 

Yeah the PD186 are in 2x18" reflex enclosures. Two per side.

I've run them up to 180 with decent results and they do take control of the kick section better up at 180, but at 80hz they put out much more intense weight.

The 100L is for each 2x12" cabinet. Probably a bit big for the Fanes but they had to visually meet up with the width of the Subs and 2236 horns.

Edited by vertx - 22 May 2017 at 8:31am
White Noise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Noise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:01am
Nice little rig :)

Have you considered using a horn loaded cab for your Fane MB12's ? and using a kick ? 

we use hybrid band pass bass and horn loaded mid top...  PD1850  - PD156  - Tubosound LS1018 (similar to a Fane pro 10M) - BMS 4590, none of it struggles for headroom.

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteNoiseSoundEnforcement/

vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:29am
Originally posted by White Noise White Noise wrote:

Nice little rig :)

Have you considered using a horn loaded cab for your Fane MB12's ? and using a kick ? 

we use hybrid band pass bass and horn loaded mid top...  PD1850  - PD156  - Tubosound LS1018 (similar to a Fane pro 10M) - BMS 4590, none of it struggles for headroom.

Hadn't considered that yet actually. I've stayed away from horns so far as I'm not a confident designer let alone builder of horn systems but I might start playing around with HornResp, a 2x12" mid horn running 180 to 800 might keep up.

Originally posted by White Noise White Noise wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteNoiseSoundEnforcement/

I bet those 3 4590s on your top end put out some SPL! v nice!
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:35am
I might try find a studio or anechoic chamber I can rent out for a few hours and hire someone which knowledge of time/phase alignment and software to do the biz. It could be cheaper/money better spent than moving to 15" mids... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>