Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 phase not needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 phase not needed
    Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:16am
Hi Guys!

As you know me and Tony (ASS) have spoken about 'GOOSENECK ROUTERS' aka 'PIN ROUTERS'.The machines on the market today are 3 phase (let me know different) and are very bulky and have small beds. You can't buy these here in Indonesia, you can have them imported but cost a fortune, and you can't import second hand machines into the country. And add the fact that they may break down is a pain.  What I decided to do (as usual) was build my own with a good engineered heavy duty 240 volt router, if it ever breaks down it takes minutes to replace with a second spare I have.

For those that have never heard of these machines, basically it's a copy router, what ever pattern you have on your jig, it will replicate above. Both me and Tony have stated that we can actually work quicker with a pin router than what people can do with a cnc. I also made it with a 6ft wide by 4ft deep bedBig smile something my old machines never had. To raise and fall the pin I have used a large nut and bolt bored out by 12mm to house the pin, then welded a bike crank with bearing handle for ease of use. The rise and fall of the actually router housing is done via pulleys and a foot pedal and plastic shield coated steel wire bond.

This machine is very accurate, easy to move around if needed (no crane), and can accommodate large jigs. The machine took me 2 days to build with the equivalent cost of 300 pounds sterling. Add the fact that a 240 volt 'HOBBY' router doesn't make that much noise you could build one for your shedWink

send me a years supply of pork pies and piccallili and i give you the plansBig smile don't bother trying to send chow mien because you won't get an asnwer

I'll upload the pic's taken with my handphoneEmbarrassed

BTW, I can weld, which helps. But most people can with 10 minutes of training

this would suit someone like members Saul or Builder

Edited by mykey- - 14 April 2011 at 7:51am
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:26am

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:29am
and another pic of the vertical DIY panel saw

have you notice that the Japanese have designed the Hitachi router to look like a robot : )

and some images of pin routers here
 http://www.google.co.id/search?q=pin+router&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bqb&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EZimTaGvMoLWvQPE0dWXCg&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=486

Edited by mykey- - 14 April 2011 at 7:49am
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:51am
top stuff Myk Clap
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 9:20am
wow you literally have child labour LOL

edit: great looking machine by the way!   I was thinking about these just the other day - weird.

Edited by tomschute - 14 April 2011 at 9:22am
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 9:24am
What it the purpose of the myckey mouse ears on top of panel saw?

SBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 9:37am

another "homemade" tool we have made at the workshop is a spindle moulder with a nice wide bed. 
F.T.S.S.
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 9:39am
I made a vacuum former a couple of years back - that was cool.
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 9:40am
wow, cool.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 10:22am
yes saul, Spindle molder maybe next on the list, But at the speeds they run at I'll have to take double care. Got any pictures?

@Tom, we work 99% of the time with our shirts off because of the heat. Actualy he's married and 27

mickey mouse ears are pulleys  
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 10:23am
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

I made a vacuum former a couple of years back - that was cool.
be interested to see pic's of that? we had one at school and I was fascinated by it
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 10:24am
Originally posted by SBC SBC wrote:

another "homemade" tool we have made at the workshop is a spindle moulder with a nice wide bed. 
what was the other one then?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>