Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 way horn loaded mid top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 way horn loaded mid top
    Posted: 19 November 2016 at 6:37am
I know this has probably been asked to death
but
I am going to look at having some 3 way horn loaded mid tops made in the future as I would like a more compact rig these days. 
What are peoples suggestions? 

Thinking a 15" FLH , 8" on a ready made horn (blue aran jobby maybe) and 1" suspended in the FLH mouth under the 8" horn
Would like to be able to use a mid budget 15" driver such as RCF L15P530 or something like that 
I'm rubbish at designing speakers myself, and even if I was to try, I cant as I'm on a macbook and winisd and hornresp are windows Cry

Xtro's cost the earth in drivers and to build 
Davey T's mid top plan is nowhere to be found
The Selenium 3 way plans are just humongous
Can't afford used Martin H3

TIA

You can't polish a turd!
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 8:42am
I wouldnt of thought a pair of s/h h3s would cost anymore than building a pair of tops by the time you factor in all the wood, paint, sundries and drivers.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

I wouldnt of thought a pair of s/h h3s would cost anymore than building a pair of tops by the time you factor in all the wood, paint, sundries and drivers.

Exactly! And the H3 is a proven, and very good, cab.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 1:43pm
I like the idea of off the shelf driver replacements too.
You can't polish a turd!
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 2:58pm
I'm really surprised no one has designed and published a simple single 15 inch kick, 3 way horn loaded mid top. We have the xtro which is great but it is costly to build especially if you do it properly and get a fiberglass horn for the 8.

What would it take for some one to design it? Basically a single 15 kick bin with 1 fold in it. Then just hang a comp in the horn mouth and leave room to put an 8 or 10 inch horn? I feel like would be a really popular cab if done right. 

Is there some big boundary that i'm not seeing?
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 3:06pm
You have just described a HD15, with a box above for an 8" Mid horn.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:00pm
The problem that almost everyone who's come on SP with such a design (that they're giving away for free) is they can't get the 15" section to go high enough without "honking" and the they can't get the MF horn low enough to meet the LF section.
There was one which was an HD15 (widened by a few mill) with a 12" horn above it (Ciare??? design). But it's directivity was a problem IIRC.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:00pm
Except one HD15 is rarely enough kick per side.
It's everything, not everythink!
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:05pm
And that!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:14pm
Depends on the application though. My preference is to have a sweeter bass and mid range, I'm not a huge fan of big in your face kick. I just want a nice pair of boxes i can plonk on top of my MS46 and away we go. 
Have people used the blue aran horn much on here? 
You can't polish a turd!
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:39pm
We had some 3way cabs in the past but cant remember what company build them. 15" flh, 10" hornloaded with phase bung and a 1.4" i'll look for a pic.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 6:47am
I'm really after a free to use plan. 
I'm probably going to end up having modded xtro's built, get the plan, make it available to everyone. 
The mods will probably be for cheaper and widely available drivers. Yes it won't be as potent as the fully fledged xtro, but more of a entry level version.

(bare in mind I'm going to do sims on it also)
15" kick (same as the lower 15" in xtro)
12" (in position of the upper 15" in xtro to be crossed to meet the 8")
8" blue aran sonitus horn
1" inch comp
You can't polish a turd!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>