Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 way horn loaded mid top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 6:58am
And before people pipe up and ask why I'm not using 2x 15".....

Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

The problem that almost everyone who's come on SP with such a design (that they're giving away for free) is they can't get the 15" section to go high enough without "honking" and the they can't get the MF horn low enough to meet the LF section.
I've heard some pretty terrible 3 way's, possibly due to that reason of being played beyond its bandwidth

The 12" will bridge the gap hopefully. I will lose 3db kick but as previously said, I am not into the mule kicking thing anyway. 
These cabinets will be designed for my needs Big smile

Edit: word choice

Edited by cookie-dj - 20 November 2016 at 6:59am
You can't polish a turd!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 7:29am
Right next question
Im probably better off going double 12" over rather than 15" and 12"
Has anyone used Fane 12mb for horn loading low mid? I have 4 I can use!
You can't polish a turd!
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 1:17pm
Probably the best horn loaded 3 way open source mid top is Peter Morris's dual 12" with BMS Coax over at Soundforums.net. 
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

And before people pipe up and ask why I'm not using 2x 15".....

Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

The problem that almost everyone who's come on SP with such a design (that they're giving away for free) is they can't get the 15" section to go high enough without "honking" and the they can't get the MF horn low enough to meet the LF section.
I've heard some pretty terrible 3 way's, possibly due to that reason of being played beyond its bandwidth

The 12" will bridge the gap hopefully. I will lose 3db kick but as previously said, I am not into the mule kicking thing anyway. 
These cabinets will be designed for my needs Big smile

Edit: word choice

I don't think the solution is to make a 4 way mid top. That really doesn't solve the problem of cost (same amount of drivers and an extra amp channel needed to power it). You will also find it doesnt play very low with just 1 x 15. The xtro isn't THAT honky being a straightish kick and all. Just build it well out of good wood. 

I don't think sticking a mid horn on a hd15 is the solution either. The hd 15 isn't really designed to work well in singles (is it?) and it isn't really designed to meet an 8 inch horn either. 

I believe it is possible ... even if its difficult to design a 15 inch kick that plays up to 250hz, with out honking like crazy. The Res 2 for example does this no problem. It may be a really big cab (its 120mm taller than an xtro!!!) but it can obviously be done. Someone with a clue just needs put the time in designing and prototyping. (not me, i don't have a clue about horn design)

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 3:25pm
IMHO, 15" FLH, will never go low enough to do decent kick.

FLH/reflex hybrid (Altec style horn) will, with lower sensitivity.

8" & 1" section from XTRO is very mediocre.

If you typically move set on your own, all in one box, maybe a tad heavy.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 3:26pm
Also, the frequency range and SPL required for each section, will dictate driver sizes and power handling.

cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 4:25pm
The Cubo kick 15 runs up to 250hz if I remember, but the blue aran horn starts at 300hz
Cubo kick 12 has a more narrow frequency range.
Which designs offer a higher cut off?
I'm not too worried about weight, I have a slave, uh I mean roadie when required.
You can't polish a turd!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 4:33pm
how low do you need them to play? ms46 go up to what.. 90 or so i'd guess?

also think about stack heights and stuff. how are they going to fit with what you have? it may be simpler to have separate upper bass / lower mid boxes, and then the mid tops.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 4:41pm
In the long run, you may find it more productive, to get ES18BPH or Turbo copy kicks, and MT121 or similar mid tops.

Proven industrial strength solution, very easy to move for 2x people, choice of drivers cheap or expensive.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 4:44pm
MS46 can be squeezed a bit higher than 90hz. For height of stack, I prefer corner stacking, An extra pair of MS46 will be added to my pair and will be stacked in a block of 4
You can't polish a turd!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 4:46pm
I have authentic Turbo THL 818 kick cabs, and I'm keeping it schtuum, how high I can get them to go, still sounding nice, without honking...

cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

In the long run, you may find it more productive, to get ES18BPH or Turbo copy kicks, and MT121 or similar mid tops.

Proven industrial strength solution, very easy to move for 2x people, choice of drivers cheap or expensive.

I get that, but it's been done to death! 3 way tops would never have been designed if it's better to have separate boxes. Stick an NL8 on the back, plug into patch and off you go.
You can't polish a turd!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>