Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 way horn loaded mid top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 4:54pm
Can still NL8 'up separate cabs..

I have mates, who had sep kick, mid cab, who changed over to 4x way all in one top cabs, kick, mid, comp, bullets.

Only advantage was transport, and ease of setting up, tearing down..
How ever, cabs overall were not as efficient or provide same spl as separate system.

Quite a few have gone back to separate horn-loaded cabs, as often, they can take out less to do more.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 8:54pm
My thoughts:
Problem is, a 3 way hornloaded cab with budget drivers and no perfect DSP settings (!!! this is what seperates "toys" from pro audio gear) wont be any better than a serious two way reflex cab with high quality drivers and a proper x over. Neither SPL wise, nor sound quality wise.
But it will be more heavy, expensive and less flexible etc.
So you should scratch the idea of a budget horntop. Either make one which will have benefits over any 2 way cab, which means it will cost xtro like money or even more (even for the xtro there are no full DSP settings available and the dispersion of the MF and HF horns doenst match perfectly) or build a nice "standard" 12" 1,4" reflex cab.
The cheapest 3 way horntop i would advice to use is the Limmer P3. But again, it wont be any louder than a reflex top.

Edited by corell - 20 November 2016 at 8:56pm
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

The problem that almost everyone who's come on SP with such a design (that they're giving away for free) is they can't get the 15" section to go high enough without "honking" and the they can't get the MF horn low enough to meet the LF section.

My solution was to use a high performance, high power 15" that isnt horn loaded. It makes building the cab easier (much smaller and less wood needed) and a decent direct radiating mid-bass 15" will easily go to 500Hz or higher if needed. I found I needed around 600-700W on the 15" to keep up with the 8" horn loaded mid.

The 15" costs a bit more, but the box build will be much cheaper and easier. You need a bit more amp power too, but thats hardly expensive any more.

If you want to drop the 1" horn in below the 8", just use a small horn (we used Beyma TD164 because it's square and rotateable) , but you could use a tiny little horn and small compression driver and just sit it in front of the 15", with the 15" dropped back a little deeper into the cab. Some people dont like doing this for various reasons, but it will work.

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

My thoughts:
Problem is, a 3 way hornloaded cab with budget drivers and no perfect DSP settings (!!! this is what seperates "toys" from pro audio gear) wont be any better than a serious two way reflex cab with high quality drivers and a proper x over. Neither SPL wise, nor sound quality wise.

I would disagree.

In terms of SPL, the benefit was not huge, adding the 8" between 15" and 1" provided a more overall volume, but nothing to get excited about.

However I found that putting the 8" horn between 15" and 1" did provide a huge benefit sound quality wise.  Why?

To get a 15" with decent thump around 100Hz you need a mid-bass 15", you dont want the cone too light or too heavy, there are plenty of options - but most of them start lacking as you go up in frequency. If you go for a 15" thats efficient in mid-range (again plenty of options) they almost all lack thump in the kick-bass region. One way or another you end up compromising on something.

Assuming you want/need the 'kick' - you have to pick the right driver for this, which means your vocal range will start to suffer.

The 8" comes in here, it's approx 5-6dB more sensitive than a direct radiating 15", and can run from 300Hz to just under 3kHz - this puts a big chunk of the vocal range onto just one drive unit - and paper sounds smoother than compression driver on vocal. With some exceptions (there are some amazing comp drivers out there - but pricey) most cheap-medium comp drivers tend to honk at various points between 1200Hz and 3000Hz. Some are better than other, but most have there problems in that range, and I find that many of them leave me with short term tinnitus after listenign tests due to distortion in that range. The 8" paper cone does not suffer from the honkiness of compression drivers, and I found I could listen for longer and much higher SPL without any short term tinnitus.

Where you have the 8" covering the vocals, you then dont need to compromise on compression driver and find one that will go low enough to meet the 15" - you can focus on selecting a nice sweet comp driver that sings above 3kHz and will go all the way up to the top sparkly frequencies.

I found the 3 way with 15" + 8"+1" compared with 15"+1.4" had much greater vocal clarity and much nicer to listen to. SPL difference wasnt huge, but I could turn it up higher without hurting my ears. Also with the comp driver running higher, it could be pushed harder without fear of failure.

Edited by Andy Kos - 20 November 2016 at 11:27pm
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

IMHO, 15" FLH, will never go low enough to do decent kick.

FLH/reflex hybrid (Altec style horn) will, with lower sensitivity.

8" & 1" section from XTRO is very mediocre.

If you typically move set on your own, all in one box, maybe a tad heavy.

I have a  15" + 8" + 1" box, that if loaded with Neo components comes in at 34 kg, easy one man lift. Even with ferrite components, its only 40kg. No horn on the 15" though, just a high power 15" with good sensitivity.

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 12:13am
At the end of the day, if OP needs all in one mid top cab for wine bars/pubs, reflex 15", with 8" on horn, and 1", all in one, will work fine.

So would meaty 2x12" reflex, with nice sounding Beyma 2".

However, to cover 350-450 people, 2x MT121s & 2x ES18s per stack, would be industrial solution, and still sound nice doing, inside or out, in right engineer's hands.

Edited by levyte357- - 21 November 2016 at 12:14am
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 3:46am
I already have a pair of 2x 12 sealed boxes and 2x 2" separate boxes on a large format horn.
It sounds very sweet, even with a 2" compression driver.
I considered the limmer 15" straight horn in all fairness, just couldn't bring myself to pay that money for a glorified baffle though
You can't polish a turd!
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

My thoughts:

I would disagree.

In terms of SPL, the benefit was not huge, adding the 8" between 15" and 1" provided a more overall volume, but nothing to get excited about.

However I found that putting the 8" horn between 15" and 1" did provide a huge benefit sound quality wise.  Why?

To get a 15" with decent thump around 100Hz you need a mid-bass 15", you dont want the cone too light or too heavy, there are plenty of options - but most of them start lacking as you go up in frequency. If you go for a 15" thats efficient in mid-range (again plenty of options) they almost all lack thump in the kick-bass region. One way or another you end up compromising on something.

Assuming you want/need the 'kick' - you have to pick the right driver for this, which means your vocal range will start to suffer.

The 8" comes in here, it's approx 5-6dB more sensitive than a direct radiating 15", and can run from 300Hz to just under 3kHz - this puts a big chunk of the vocal range onto just one drive unit - and paper sounds smoother than compression driver on vocal. With some exceptions (there are some amazing comp drivers out there - but pricey) most cheap-medium comp drivers tend to honk at various points between 1200Hz and 3000Hz. Some are better than other, but most have there problems in that range, and I find that many of them leave me with short term tinnitus after listenign tests due to distortion in that range. The 8" paper cone does not suffer from the honkiness of compression drivers, and I found I could listen for longer and much higher SPL without any short term tinnitus.

Where you have the 8" covering the vocals, you then dont need to compromise on compression driver and find one that will go low enough to meet the 15" - you can focus on selecting a nice sweet comp driver that sings above 3kHz and will go all the way up to the top sparkly frequencies.

I found the 3 way with 15" + 8"+1" compared with 15"+1.4" had much greater vocal clarity and much nicer to listen to. SPL difference wasnt huge, but I could turn it up higher without hurting my ears. Also with the comp driver running higher, it could be pushed harder without fear of failure.

I haven't found a 2 way 15"+driver box that i really liked. Sure Meyer has made som attemps that are really nice (and expensive)but i always end up loving my old Floodlights for their smooth vocals and and non-stressing highs.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 8:59am

At the end of the day, if OP needs all in one mid top cab for wine bars/pubs, reflex 15", with 8" on horn, and 1", all in one, will work fine.

So would meaty 2x12" reflex, with nice sounding Beyma 2".

Personally I prefer 1.4" to 2" with a twin 12". It can work very well with the right components. Ultimately everyone has their own preferences, and different drive combos will yield different results.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 9:23am
I think comparing a 2 way reflex top to a hornloaded 3way top is a bit apples and oranges.

There is no way you are going to get a reflex cab to kick as hard as an xtro. Also with prerecorded music at least; I much prefer the sound of precussion, pianos, xylophone, bongos ... pretty much any sound involving something being struck though an 8 inch horn.

I dont mix bands or anything like that but I can imagine people that do would rather not do it on an xtro.

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 3:44pm
TBH, I don't rate Xtro at all, primarily because 8" & 1" Sections are woefully inadequate, compared to 15" Section.

OP wants all in one mid cab.

15"+8"+1" is one route, 2x12"+2" is another route, with probably higher SPL overall.

You would be surprised what cab loaded with 2x Fane 12MBs & Beyma CP750TI can do.
Simple build, smooth sound, very decent SPL.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 4:16pm

TBH, I don't rate Xtro at all, primarily because 8" & 1" Sections are woefully inadequate, compared to 15" Section.

OP wants all in one mid cab.

15"+8"+1" is one route, 2x12"+2" is another route, with probably higher SPL overall.

You would be surprised what cab loaded with 2x Fane 12MBs & Beyma CP750TI can do.
Simple build, smooth sound, very decent SPL.

the 2x12" will outplay the 15"+8"+1" on pure SPL. My 2x12" prototype is a pair of Oberton 12NMB35 and a B&C DE620TN - it's not heavy and extremely loud for what it is.

The 15" + 8" + 1" gives more control and a smoother tone that's easier to listen to.

It does depend on what you want to achieve, if pure SPL is your objective, there is one solution, but if you want mid-high that maintains clarity over distance and has controlled dispersion, then there is another solution.

For more nearfield applications I would choose the 2x12", but if I wanted to array 2-3 tops per side, and get more projection, then the 8" horn will do the job better.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>