Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 way horn loaded mid top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 9:27pm
There is a two way solution. D&B C7. 
There are plans out there with suggested drivers and DSP settings.

Commercial cab so no posts, but have seen one these (originals) cover a stack of 3 Turbomax USB's on the correct amp, a mere 600w or so of passive cab per side for 12 x 18's. I was stunned and started looking for the hidden cabs. TimB and Barry P can confirm this.

It's everything, not everythink!
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 10:12pm
So.......These are the boxes Joe Venny is making.....
In bass no one can hear you scream!
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 10:13pm
What about eaw 695's? They look very mean....
In bass no one can hear you scream!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

kyle, would you mind to share your honest opinions on those peter morris cabs?
specially driven hard..
a pitty they have not been ready whilst i was round yours last year..

looking for high power 3/4 way tops the new lambda labs qx seems well worth a listen :)
Danley J2 is another cab that seems interesting, aswell as the kv2 vhd5.0

Seems point source is comming back recently?

I honestly haven't heard a full box, but I have heard the coax on that horn and that alone is on par with anything at the high end of pro kit.

J2 is a personal favourite of late, I seriously want a pair. J3-94 made more sense for us right now though. Would like to hear the Lambda.

I would say that point source is maybe just being spec'd where it should be more often. Of course the option to do a big show with special point source is also nice, I'm skeptical of the KV2 comp setup at serious levels though have only heard it get bitey
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 10:13am
Surely an easy route for all this, is what the Late Windmill Tilter knocked up, for Ebony Show case IIRC.

Double 15 in a reflex box, so easy to knock up, and easy to get a wide range box, to meet the BMS coaxial in a seperate box on a big horn. Ease of transport/crew requirements, could even do multiple single 15" boxes for real one man depolyment....

Most 15" drivers will do 80-500 reflex with low stress, in a relatively compact box. V baffle for more compactness, as you will cross lower than 600Hz ish, so any cancellation/beaming will be out of pass band.

Simple?

The HF box, could be skeletal, or thin wood to save weight, it is just housing the speakon to HF, protecting the passive 6K X-over, and supporting the Driver to the horn, so its weight doesn't snap the horn during transport. Bit of strength between baffle and driver, but other than that, waxed cardboard would suffice!

I think they also had some form of angle wedge doofus for the HF box, to ease vertical aiming. You could go to town on some trick metal work; think how a projectors feet work, for level and aim, cheap but effective?

Directivity of reflex 15" drivers in the band 100-500 is a bit of moot point, as the wavelength vs physical length is not quite comparable, but other than that, what is the issue? As long as the 15" is starting to beam a bit at X-over point, to the same sort of horizontal angle that the horn high mid is working at, should assist transition from mid to mid high.

Would work fairly well with any number of competent 12" drivers for the 100-500Hz band. Think RCF 4pro 6001, but rather than 8"+HF, combined BMS coax on a single horn. You could even hang that in front of the 2x12"/2x15" if compactness was an issue. If height is required, keep to seperate box for coax+horn?

Just my musings, carry on....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 11:29am
Comparing a double 15+coax to the cabs above other than the DIY is quite apples and oranges imo..
peter morris cab is compromised to highest output in smallest size, its restricted to 2 cabs per side.
(double 15 might have same output and restrictions but much larger)
All the others like vhd5.0, QX and J2 are bit different animals in therms of output and pattern control/arrayability.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

This is why we came up with the solution we did, a direct radiating 15" wont be quite as efficient, but if you get a high power 15" that will more or less make up for it - this means you can keep the box much smaller. High Power 15" arent that hard to find, and amp power is cheaper than it used to be.
what about 15" ppsl kick section?
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 1:28pm
If 100\110 Hz is ok then clovers design might be an option?
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
MrScy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrScy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 7:12pm
This is hard to believe.
3 x Dual 18" bandpass should need more than 1 C7 seeing that the stack from the factory is 2 x 18" per C7. The C7 is also the least powerful in the D&B C series with the C3 being the most powerful. 

Kind regards,

Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

There is a two way solution. D&B C7. 
There are plans out there with suggested drivers and DSP settings.

Commercial cab so no posts, but have seen one these (originals) cover a stack of 3 Turbomax USB's on the correct amp, a mere 600w or so of passive cab per side for 12 x 18's. I was stunned and started looking for the hidden cabs. TimB and Barry P can confirm this.

montek.co.za
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345