Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A novice who needs help...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A novice who needs help...
    Posted: 08 February 2017 at 7:10pm
Want to buy new speakers but on a budget (student problems). I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to audio systems, can wire car audio and that's about it!

Got a budget of around £150, maybe £200.

Been looking at Hi-Fi systems such as:
Sony MHC-ECL77BT 470W &
Panasonic SC-AKX400EBK 600W Speaker System

But also found 'monitor speakers' for DJ mixing etc.. e.g..

M-Audio BX5 D2 Compact 2 Way Active Studio Monitor Speakers
Numark N-Wave 580L Powered Desktop DJ Monitor Speakers
Mackie CR5T Monitor Speakers

The reviews seem to be really good for the monitor speakers but after digging a little deeper, I've read that they produce a 'flat response', not too sure what this actually means... and everyone I've spoken to says to buy an equaliser to go with them and they'll be amazing.. but obviously im too poor for that, they all seem to cost £150 + alone...

Anyone able to recommend a suitable system/set up for me? I listen to a lot of bass heavy music (edm, trap, house etc. etc.) and love it when you can feel the low frequency tones and kicks. In need of a little knowledgeable advice :)

Thanks in advance!
pczjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 7:43pm
I'm not knowledgeable regarding hi-fi gear but since nobody replied yet I'll just chip in that "flat response" essentially means that all frequencies are reproduced at equal volume (ie a flat line on a frequency vs response graph). Meaning the source material is reproduced exactly. This is for most people the "ideal" soundsystem. In reality, this can never be fully achieved.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 10:00pm
If you're looking for some hi-fi gear on a budget, try looking round second hand, Cash Converters, Gumtree etc.  There's shedloads of used stuff out there, you'll almost certainly get more for your money that way. 
 Post Reply Post Reply