Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a stonecold Matrix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a stonecold Matrix
    Posted: 14 September 2014 at 3:58pm
I have here a Matrix XT1200 apparently modded by Matrix

there is a problem with it as I see it
It does not get hot or even lukewarm at idle with the fan disabled. very odd for a Class AB after an hour or so it is still cold to touch

Perhaps I am missing something here but think not I am beginning to realise it is not what it is said to be.
just a class B driven by a Pseudo class A driver VAS that isn't either

anyone any thoughts on this?
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 4:40pm
have you turned the amp on...LOL

sorry, could not resist....
https://www.elements-audio.com
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 5:02pm
not sure I understand, does it work ok?
Kevin

North Staffordshire

SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

not sure I understand, does it work ok?

well that is the question it functions ie passes a signal with power gain but "working" that is the issue in hand  Hardly Class AB if there is little or no dissipation within the current stage
Either that or someone changed the Laws of Physics and I never got to hear of it.  LOL

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 6:02pm
I would stick it on a scope or better still a distortion analyser and determine whether the cold biassing is causing an issue with crossover distortion or not.
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 9:40pm
How does it sound?

They do have a fair bit of heatsink ... and only dissipate around 5 to 10W a channel in idle ... which may not be enough to detect by hand ... if you have a scope, a lack of bias current will be easy to detect on small signals.  It is unlikely that both driver chains failed identically, at the same time ... it could simply be working perfectly ...
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 11:17pm
All the matrix amps Ive seen run with little quiescent current anyway, that's got to be good. Never seen one with crossover distortion either. Dont forget you're dealing with lateral mosfets which have better current sharing across the current range from threshold to clip. (wot no emitter resistors!). Its an inherently stable design in that respect.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 11:25pm
Xt1200??!!!..... wen he start building them?
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 12:37am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

+1

is it 1u???
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 2:04am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

my mistake "GT1200FX"  I am aware of the device type as well to add I am given it's setup as per the owner who paid to have it specially done as class AB. but not class AB in my book. either way a very bad utilisation of the "Hitachi Circuit"  as it is clear to hear. replaced with an amp that is sonically better but opened it up to be nosey to find cheap nasty inside got more nosey disabled fan see what went on
Which brings us here to Cold running "Class AB"   Which is also how come? I will get some kit on it take some data and see where it is at.  just a piece of junk someone else needs to be owning as it will end up on ebay soonTongue
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 6:14am
Facepalm.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 6:39am

I quite like the sound of an Xt1200.... They run fairly hot though LOL

Edited by James Tengo - 15 September 2014 at 6:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>