Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on building 3-way setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote se.morales27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on building 3-way setup
    Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:48pm
Hello everyone, 
I´m new to the forum, though I've been reading quite a few of the threads lately. I, as many before me, want to start a Reggae Sound System for small (up to 150 or so ppl) mostly indoors events, which hopefully can be expanded later on.

Please take into account, I'm located in Colombia where I can't get easy access  to most of the brands and products I see people recommending all the time in these threads (too expensive to import), so I know this aren't the best to get out there. The following list is based on stuff I can get here (hence the apparent love for Eminence). I've colored in green all the questions:

General
2-channel Pyle DJ Mixer running to 4-way Mono Active Crossover 

-For the Active Crossover I have 2 options, with basically same specs: either a http://www.gomeznaranjo.com.co/wp-/uploads/2016/11/Crossover1.pdf - no brand or a http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CX2310 - Behringer for 30 USD more, is it worth the extra price for brand? Only difference I see is the Low-cut filter being 25Hz for one and 40Hz for the other. Is there any spec that helps me choose which I'm overlooking?

Drivers
Bass: 2x Eminence Sigma-Pro 18. 650W RMS. 8 Ohm.  (this is pretty much the only thing I have for certain in the setup right now).
Mids:  2x Eminence Delta 15A. 400W RMS. 8 Ohm.
Highs: 1x 1" Eminence Compression Driver. ASD 1001. 50W. 

Crossover points:
Bass: 40Hz - 100Hz
Mids: 100Hz - 2,5kHz
Highs: 2,5kHz - ...

-Opinions on the driver's choice? Do these cover the whole frequency range decently? 
-Specifically about the Mids other option is 2x Delta 12A . Or 2x Kappa 15LFA (only if the crossover makes sense for meeting the Compression Driver, as its top  freq is 2,7k) as I could use them in the future as Kick Bins in a 4-way system, and get other smaller mids (10" or 12").
-Are the Crossover points well defined? I'm not sure on how to do this, only the Compression Driver has a recommended crossover.
-Is one Compression Driver enough, or is it better to have 2? 

Enclosures:
2x DIY Eminence 18" Scoops 
No idea about the Mid's enclosure.
Generic horn lenses for CD, on a homemade wood enclosure. 

- I chose the http://forum.speakerplans.com/eminence-18-scoop-plan_topic67365. - Eminence Scoop design as I wouldn't have to adapt the plans found online. Any opinions on whether I could use the http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=18superscooper - Mogale Superscoop plans or any other scoop plans that don't require modification and whether they would be a better choice?
-Any recommendation on the Mid's enclosure?
-For the Compression Driver's I understand that the sound isn't really affected by the enclosure, so no need for plans, is this right?

Amplifiers:
Option 1:
http://sonomarcas.com/tienda/profesional/1651-audiopro-max5000-sn - AudioPro Max5000 (random Chinese brand) 2x 1500W @4 Ohm. 
*Channel 1 for both Sigma 18, parallel wired, so it's 1300W (650x2) speakers powered by a 1500W@ 4 Ohm amp. 
*Channel 2 for the Delta 15A, parallel wired, so it's 800W (400x2) speakers powered by a 1500W @ 4 Ohm amp.
http://www.gomeznaranjo.com.co/wp-/uploads/2016/10/Profesional.pdf - Audio King AK600 (random Chinese brand) 2x200 @ 8 Ohm.  
*Channel 1 for the Compression Drivers, so 100W (50x2) speakers powered by 300W @ 4 Ohm amp.
*Channel 2 unused. 

This options allows for future expansion: Use Channel 2 of Max5000 for 2 extra scoops, and Channel 2 of AK600 for extra CDs. And buying another amp for kick bins + mids.

Option 2:
http://sonomarcas.com/tienda/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=6 - Vento x12i (random chinese brand) 2x700 @8 Ohm.
*one channel for each scoop. So 650W speaker powered by 700W channel.
Vento x12i:
*Channel 1 for both mid drivers, parallel wired, so 800W (400x2) speakers powered by 1000W @ 4 Ohm amp.
*Channel 2 for Compression Drivers, so 100W (50x2) speakers powered by 1000W @ 4 Ohm amp.

This option doesn't help expanding scoops, would have to buy a Max5000 for 4 of them. But could use both X12i for everything else (kickbins, mids and highs). 

-This is what has got me more confused. Which option do you think is better or are they both terrible and could you suggest something else? Do I need more headroom?
-Are these weird brands too much of a risk?
-If the compression driver only handles 50W how do I make sure it isn't blown up by the 1000W amp? (also applies for the headroom on the mids).

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading it,  also sorry as I'm sure there must be some obvious or stupid questions mixed in there as I'm new to all of this. 
Any help would be really appreciated! Advice on whatever you see out of place or answers to any of the questions. Really anything you can tell me is helpful!

Cheers.
se.morales27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote se.morales27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 4:00pm
Hello,
Anyone please? Any opinions would really help me! I know there's a lot of people here who know a lot…

Some updates: 
I've solved some of the questions. I'm going with a Behringer iNuke NU4 6000 for amp.

Couldn't find the Sigma pro so I think I'm getting a Definimax 4018 which is a major improvement. I just need to know how can I know how to choose between a SuperScooper, an Eminence Scoop or whatever other design. I don't need it to sound perfect, I just don't want to screw up and cause the driver to unload or something.

I'm getting the Behringer CX2310 for crossover. The low-cut is 25Hz and the driver's Fs is 30, and it's range starts at 30. Could this 5Hz gap mean risk of overexcursion? How could I stop that. 
(related question: how can a driver, eg: Eminence Omega, have an Fs below it's range? don't get it)

Again, thanks in advance if anyone could help with any opinion!

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2017 at 10:51pm
What about brazilian brands? JBL bought out that brazilian company a while ago….

There are a lot of roots sound systems in Brazil, maybe you could try to connect some of them to ask for advice?

or uruguay?

or mexico?

Post Reply Post Reply