Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on building my first rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phat Camel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on building my first rig
    Posted: 14 January 2017 at 7:34pm
Hi all, I'm new to this so please bear with me. 

I'm looking to begin building a basic rig for use at outdoor events catering for predominantly House & Techno.

I've had a good look through the plans available on the site and I'm thinking of going with 2x 1850 Horns plus 2x X15 mid / tops as a start. 

I have little to no carpentry skills, so would be employing a skilled carpenter to do the cabinet builds, I do have a solid (ish) knowledge of live sound so I'm more confident on the setting up part. 

What recommendations would you make based on what I've stated for amps, drivers, crossovers etc? I'm on a fairly tight budget... Also, I live in Dubai so there isn't as easy access to some of the brands (P-Audio) mentioned in the plans.

Also, I see most of the systems seem to be set up in a single stack configuration, I would prefer to run the system in stereo rather than mono but maybe there is a reason for the mono (appearing) stacks?

Appreciate any advice and tips! Smile 

pczjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 5:33pm
I was considering the X15s myself recently, the recommended drivers are discontinued now and the replacements don't fit in the plans as they are. You can modify the plans, choose different drivers (best to model them in the box though, people have posted results here somewhere) or pick new plans. I'm half way through building the 18 sound 15"/1.4" full-range boxes instead, will post when built.  
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 9:35pm
Personally, I don't like the vocal reproduction of 15" drivers, especially when bass and kick duty will be on 2x 1850 cabs. 12" + 1"/1.4" will do the job much better IMHO.
Are you set on horn loaded bass?
Which drivers can you access in Dubai? This may dictate which designs you can use.
Forget a normal crossover for anything horn loaded as your mid tops will need delay adding to them. Behringer DCX2496 LMS is the best unit for very little money.
Stacking horn loaded cabs mouth to mouth increases overall horn size.

You can't polish a turd!
pczjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

Personally, I don't like the vocal reproduction of 15" drivers, especially when bass and kick duty will be on 2x 1850 cabs. 12" + 1"/1.4" will do the job much better IMHO.

Yeah, I'd agree, if you're always going to be using them with the bins underneath. We wanted some boxes that would perform well on their own as well (full range) and therefore went for the 15"/1.4".
pczjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

Forget a normal crossover for anything horn loaded as your mid tops will need delay adding to them. Behringer DCX2496 LMS is the best unit for very little money.

Yeah, either this or run them off an amp with dsp that can add delays (our plan!). 
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 11:47am
would not use a 15" Top for EDM either tbh..
Simple and available in different budgets - 15/18" reflex subs + double 12" tops
15"s would be a tad punchier, 18"s a tad sub heavier depending on tuning/driver obviously, a proper 212 top would keep up with 3-4 subs easily. 6-8 single sub cabinets could be deployed differently to suit different size venues or to build arrays which help focus the sound where you want it+get an even coverage across the dancefloor

Cheap non DIY option is Thomann Achat series for example, its ok for the price and they might ship to Dubai.
Another readily available semi DIY option might be Bluearan, their 18" flatpack + the 212 flatpack.
Other than that most speaker manufacturers offer basic plans for their products.
Without knowing whats available over yours its hard to give a recommendation..

Post Reply Post Reply