Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air density and Bass...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air density and Bass...
    Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:04pm

Am i right to think that if the air at the area where the cone of the driver in a speaker cabinet transduces its movement to the air is more dense i.e. cold, the transfer from cone movement to airmovemnt efficiency would increase? (there is probably some gucci word for this but as its sunday night and i've been partying my brain is know good)

im probably talking rubbish but ive got a crazy plan envolving dry ice and bass bins............

B.
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:28pm
Hmmmm... Many factors to consider:

Basically the trick is to transfer vibrations from the cone to the air around it..

If the air is more dense it would require more physical energy to start it moving, but it would also have more momentum.... ( think about a swing with a kid on it vs a swing with a 400 lbs Oprah Winfrey fan )

There are a few other things that may affect this looking at it from a theoretical POV, but I dont even think the HIFI nutters w. 100£/metre speakercables have considered the potential sales of bottles of compressed HIFI air yet :-)

/peter

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:39pm
oh well, it was a good idea whilst it lasted, now i need to find a way to make the air inbetween the paper cone and actual air in the horn/speaker mouth more efficient at accepting the frequencys it produces. Would a sponge based speaker cone have the same effect of increasing the density of air?
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2006 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by DIRTSOUNDBOY DIRTSOUNDBOY wrote:

oh well, it was a good idea whilst it lasted, now i need to find a way to make the air inbetween the paper cone and actual air in the horn/speaker mouth more efficient at accepting the frequencys it produces. Would a sponge based speaker cone have the same effect of increasing the density of air?

Well... Since its been atleast 8 years since I opened a book on any kind of physics I could be wrong, but personally I think the effect of the air density is so little that you wouldnt gain anything you could hear or measure on a PA rig...  *maybe* you hear some sort of difference on a really expensive set of HIFI boxes and a pair of ears that havent been abused by years of high SPL....

If you are thinking of this as a way to improve efficiency heres something to look at:

Cone material may not be 100% airtight  ( some types of plastic foil used for food packaging isnt 100% airtight either, some will even let small molecules pass while other molecules are kept inside - this trick is used when packing meat and cheese in "protective atmospheres" )..
This would affect the piston effect of the cone, just like a worn pistonring would affect the performance of the engine in your van..

Again: The effects of this are probably so small that the only place this idea could sell would be in the same market as the silk coated, mineral oil soaked signal cables that sell for 500£ for a 1 meter stereo cable :-)

/peter

real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 5:47am
id think dry ice in subs could be quite a cool party piece, as the smoke would be sucked in and out to the beat.... would probably damage the cone and cabs tho...
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 12:17pm
kiss goodbye to thermal compression!
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 11:16pm
How about farting on the cone.!!!
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 12:04am
If you had dense air near the sub,the sub MIGHT transfer sound to the local dense air more easily,but then there will still be an impedence mismatch between that dense air and the non dense air surrounding it.

Uve seen those ICE hotels ?

illegal rave in swimming pool?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 6:27am
rave in swimming pool .... interesting idea!
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 9:34am
amusing idea.... labs and wave machiens
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
specialjustin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 12:16am
"How about farting on the cone.!!! "

What, and have the fart pumped straight back up your arse?

Edited by specialjustin - 27 November 2006 at 12:18am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 5:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply