Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Old Newb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Old Newb
    Posted: 11 March 2016 at 6:21pm

Hi all, just checking in to introduce myself.

In the '80s I ran a PA business - nothing special, a couple of MM AP360G power amps, two-way crossover, a pair of RCF HF horns, a pair of dual Fane Crescendo-loaded mids, and two huge bass horns, loaded with 15" Fane Colossus.

I loved it, and got quite a bit of work, but my band landed a record deal and I had to go off and record an album, so I sold the rig. The band and record deal fell through, and the guy who bought the PA went on to expand it into a multi-national concern (story of my life).

So approximately 3.2 million years later here I am starting all over again. My aim is to put together a budget-priced rig, (just in case it ends up as one of those projects that sits in the garage but never quite gets finished) using oldie-but-goodie second hand stuff mostly bought off e-bait.

So far I have a pair of JBL M350s, and a Mackie 1501 (amp dead and removed). I need the equivalent of three more Mackies and  a couple more JBLs - or the equivalent - to get a 4 - 5kw rig up and running. I also have a Hill Audio LC1200 and a Matrix UK 1000 - so far so good.

Notwithstanding the fact that I haven't even plugged any of this stuff in yet to test it, my main headscratcher is the mains electricity.

In the '80s my two MMs, along with an HH 100 watt mono amp for the monitors - could all plug into one socket, there was never a problem. However, if I am proposing a 5kw RMS rig, I am thinking that there may be issues.

Here in the UK a 240 volt, 13 amp supply won't allow for much more than a constant 3kw, so I am looking for some advice.

What is the normal way of dealing with this issue? Or do people just plug their rig anyway and hope for the best on the basis that the 3kw maximum is never actually reached?

Any suggestions/advice/ideas would be most welcome.

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 10:32am
You should be fine off a 13A socket, average rig power drawer is much lower than peak mostly due to the energy stored inside the power supply circuitry of amplifiers etc. You can always split the load over 2 circuits if it comes to that. Having a distribution unit capable of 32A input is nice to have about for those venues that offer one, but you're still going to be splitting it down to 16A or 13A outputs.

What sort of gigs do you want to land? Pre-recorded DJ stuff, live mixing?
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 10:58am
Thank you very much for that - it takes a weight off my mind!

Live bands is my thing, I like the intensity and stress of engineering a gig - the challenge of getting a good sound asap and maintaining it throughout the set, whatever circumstances arise.

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 11:14am
You've probably got even less to worry about then with live, very peak orientated unless you compress the mix a lot.

AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 11:55am
Even better! Thanks very much for that.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 1:05pm
To be honest,you should have a total re-think about what you are hoping to achieve as things have changed drastically since the eighties both in venues and quality of hire equipment.
Most of todays venues and clubs have their own built in PA systems both for disco and live music so the only places that are left to put a small live hire rig into are the smaller pubs, village or community halls and horrible shitty places where no-one wants to go.
Even in these type of venues a half decent "name"rig is expected and the bare minimum would be something like a HK Actor system not 25 year old retro gear that was not even well respected back in its day.
I have just retired after some 45 years in the hire industry and even looking through rose tinted glasses the last ten years have been bloody heavy going and not half as enjoyable as back in the seventies and eighties.
Either have a rethink about what gear you are going to buy or keep your money in the bank is my advice.
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 2:04pm
Thanks for that. I'll take my chances.
I'm not trying to set up a business that will pay my mortgage, I just want the odd booking to keep my brain from freezing. I live in Hull, people here are lucky if they can spell HK Actor, let alone demand it. Besides, it's all about the quality of service IMO. Once people realise that they get a great service with a great sound from me, that will be the crucial element, not the gear. In my estimation (borne out of extensive experience) about one in five sound engineers actually have a decent pair of ears, and that is the most important component of any PA.

I have the same situation in my recording studio which has been running for five years. The whole thing cost less than £3k to put together and it took a long time before anyone handed over real cash, but now it operates well, because people know that are going to walk away with a quality product. I had to do many free sessions to get my foot in the door and I expect the same will be true of the PA hires. That's cool, I don't mind. :)

I'm fully aware of the current scene in terms of PA. I may have been out of the business a long time but I play all over the UK and Europe in a signed band so I have my finger on the pulse. Personally I don't have an issue with smaller pubs and village halls. As long as I'm behind that board with some airwaves disturbing my chest I'm happy. 
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 12:28pm
So I tested my "25 year old retro system" and all I can say is that it sounds superb. But then again I was behind the board, so it was no surprise to me.

Just like the world of recording, the emphasis appears to be on equipment and black boxes in the world of sound reinforcement. The emphasis should be on a good pair of ears IMHO, these can compensate for any number of deficiencies in equipment.
 Post Reply Post Reply