Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Yamaha P7000S modified by me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Yamaha P7000S modified by me.
    Posted: 25 October 2016 at 10:30pm

I remember the time when mine rack contains 2 Crown 5000VZ, and was more than 80 Kilos...

I have made some Leco Amplifiers with SMPS, not so powerfull but much lighter, but I sold all because people love them and want them.
One of it I was trade with one Yamaha P7000S+cash difference from his owner.
The P7000S is not bad amplifier but SMPS part is weak, reason why is clipping fast on 4 ohms, lack of bass and cannot offer enough power continuous.
I decided to modify the SMPS part of Yamaha, including IGBT's and storage capacitors and make it powerfull with greater current output and bigger voltage rails, and of course ZCS resonant mode to increase efficiency, of SMPS part because I have almost doubled the power.
Also I have replaced all output devices, predrivers, mosfets on switching part, soa curve, and output current limit.

Officially measured, the amp is delivering around 1100 watts/4 ohms load, now, is more than 2000Watts/4 ohms, if mains suppply not saggs under 221Vac 

Some pictures during modifications:

SMPS board

Mounted back amplifier

Replaced trannies with better and powerfull ones

Increased secondary storage capacitors

Point where measured mains supply in idle mode

Idle mains supply voltage at home

New DC rals of +/-155Vdc (+/- 165Vdc at 232Vac) 

Points of measure DC rails

Yamaha initial, output power 1000-1100W/4R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_iDqCSYes&feature=youtu.be

Yamaha modified, output power around 2000-2100W/4R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzW_QgIKRS0&feature=youtu.be

Mains saggs during high load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YmERYyBWyI&feature=youtu.be

Edited by DjLeco - 25 October 2016 at 10:45pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 12:40am
you are a legendClap
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 7:02am
Hey, not so, but close! Tongue
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 8:18am
Love it!
It's everything, not everythink!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 9:09am
Nice. I´ve always liked those Yamahas. Now even better.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 6:14pm
race tuned 7000 ps Thumbs Up
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 12:08pm
The final audio stage is nice one, able to deliver more power if propery supplied.
TD class, efficiency almost as class D, but AB class sound!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 1:08pm

Modifying audio equipment is what many used to do in the 1970s -1980's. There was more ingenuity from the 1980's downwards than today from a customised standpoint. 

Manufactures offered schematics and tips in which you could customised their product to your specifications.

It is really a pity for I've embarked so many soundmen that cannot operate a system without presets more so do what you are doing today. 

Excellent Job!

Best Regards,  

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 27 October 2016 at 1:14pm
Elliot Thompson
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 8:19pm
Thank you all for appreciation, especially if those comes from Mr Elliot!

Edited by DjLeco - 27 October 2016 at 8:20pm
christth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 2:27pm
Hi, looks like you have done a very nice job with this P7000S.

Looks like you know your way around these units, so if you don’t mind, I have some question about the reliability of the SMPS power supply in these amplifiers and usual faults. Why does these seem to blow those IGBT’s so often?

I acquired on P7000S that had a fault in the powersupply, the former owner had it in for repairs, (the IGBT’s, those 5w resistors and the ir2110 was changed). He had it for some days before it developed the same fault as before. (No response at power up).

He sold it cheap to me, (the value of the 2u Rack case it came in, was worth the price alone) J

I have gone through the PS and replaced all of the broken parts I found, witch are the following: r416, r451 (6.8r 5w resistors), IC402 (ir2110),  IC401 (SG3525AN), IC403 (7815FA). I also found some bad capacitors around those IC, especially the small value alu caps had bad readings. Have recapped the whole PS board except main filter caps, c437-439, c444 445 and c440-441.  

Now the unit power up and behaves like it should, sweet sound. Had it running for some hours. But after some days the same thing happens again, resulting in broken IGBT’s, IC403, one of the 5w 6.8r resistors and probably the IR2110.

What am I missing here? It might look like there is a problem in the +15V supply to the two chip’s, but I can not see/measure what parts it might be. Any suggestions? 

Sorry for long post Confused

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 4:39pm
Does the software behind this forum have a secret desire to create it's own alphabet? 
It's everything, not everythink!
christth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 4:59pm
Yeah, strange thing..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>