Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone made custom amp racks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone made custom amp racks?
    Posted: 30 September 2015 at 1:27pm
Contemplating whipping up a few nice tung/danish oiled racks, a 9U and a 6U for processing, many people doing this or do you prefer to use lighter material?
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 3:14pm
What you can afford i guess, if you want lighter there some acrylic or plastic ones, but as long as your not using 21mm birch ply i don't the weight would make much difference, compared to the weight of the amps themselves..
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 6:46am
Ending up having a go. Rack strips have yet to be bolted in but I think they'll come together nicely with some oil.

The top is a 6U for processing with some extra room for a custom patch panel for NL8 on the back.

The other is a 6U standard for 2x Soundstandard CA18, with another in the future for the 2x Crest 8001's when I double my sub cabinets.

GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 9:39am
Ive always made my own. I keep chopping and changing how many rack spaces I need so it just makes economic sense to build my own.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 11:10am
What section ply is that? For amps I´d use at least 12mm, but for outboard you could use something a lot thinner (and lighter).

These were made for me by a carpenter friend:

And are you going to put front/back panels? Pretty essential for proper protection.

EDIT:  And wheels, of course!!   LOL

Edited by Earplug - 25 October 2015 at 11:11am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 7:08pm
I've got a stained and varnished rack made from 15mm birch ply which looks very nice but it lives in my lounge and houses my hi-fi!
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

What section ply is that? For amps I´d use at least 12mm, but for outboard you could use something a lot thinner (and lighter).

These were made for me by a carpenter friend:

And are you going to put front/back panels? Pretty essential for proper protection.

EDIT:  And wheels, of course!!   LOL

Nice!

I used 18mm BG Exterior plywood, not sure of the type though.

I'm still to buy handles and protective panels, got a dolly board on the way to sit everything on.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I've got a stained and varnished rack made from 15mm birch ply which looks very nice but it lives in my lounge and houses my hi-fi!

After making these I think I'll do the same!
JTH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 11:53pm

We make a range of these available as plain, sanded and unfinished boxes, ready to take your own choice of finish or painted in black or white.

All sizes and variants available and all made from 18MM Birch Ply with fitted rackstrip. Very popular for studios.

We're just about to build some from lovely reclaimed timber too - I'll post pics of those in due course.

JTH Concerts & Live Events - Stage Hire, PA Hire
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by vertx vertx wrote:

Ending up having a go. Rack strips have yet to be bolted in but I think they'll come together nicely with some oil.

The top is a 6U for processing with some extra room for a custom patch panel for NL8 on the back.

The other is a 6U standard for 2x Soundstandard CA18, with another in the future for the 2x Crest 8001's when I double my sub cabinets.

Nice work, blow a 4mm roundover bit onto every face, fill the screw holes and sand it down....

Allow 40mm from face to rack strip and just use 12x4mm screws (like these http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/mzf-4012/woodscrews-12mm/dp/LS01619) in every hole on the rack strip....

Smile
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2015 at 6:02am
No handles?
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 2:07am
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

No handles?

Two of these per side, per rack.

Hopefully will do the job

Edited by vertx - 27 October 2015 at 2:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>