Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone made custom amp racks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I've made loads like this before, only with a much wider top that overhung and made a table on top. Originally two that were used in my own house when I used to do a lot of recording and DJ work, then they were moved to a local rehearsal studio a charity I'm involved with opened, along with another 3 that I built to add to it.  

A particularly nice one was a big wooden one similar to yours, maybe 12u, that was varnished to match the rest of the woodwork in a bar install. Built had a wooden door with a big perspex window on it so that you could see all the (void) amps inside and their flashy lights lol, will try and dig up a picture.

k

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 9:44am
Yes, varnished sounds good, especially if just used around the house, but for lugging around to gigs, you canĀ“t really beat the plain old black.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2015 at 6:50am
Got part way with the patch panel for the back of the processing rack.

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2015 at 11:13am
A small tip:
try using a 'fence' for your hole saw or connector cutter so you then get good straight lines of connectors on your panels.

The rest certainly looks very good - well done.

Shame that you are so far away though, could do with some decent hardwood finished racks for my Hi-Fi hardware here

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by audiomik audiomik wrote:

A small tip:
try using a 'fence' for your hole saw or connector cutter so you then get good straight lines of connectors on your panels.

Mik

Yep, I'm definitely guilty of the careless holesaw cut! I noticed after the dust had settled and decided t leave it as no one it really going to see it besides me LOL

So a fence as in clamping a bit of ply either side? Or is there a specific tool for the job?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 10:17pm
I made one prototype of this. I have it stored somewhere. VERY pleasant to lift and manouver in multiple positions. Downside is, the design is not too space efficient. Simple ply panels can be used with as simple slide bolt latches in front and in the back for protection. The rear handles can be used to keep cabling in order while in use. 15mm ply used in prototype was too much, 9mm and 12mm would be enough.

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 10:21pm
for accurate holes i take a piece of veroboard pcb, with holes in drilled in 2.54mm grid, clamp it  that to material i work on, use it as a guide to drill 1mm pilot holes.  then enlarge them with a step drill.

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 11:01pm

easy  way with some wood battens, top and bottom used to be a ikea style table found on the streets :-)
for transport it goes into foam lined packing crate (pictured at the bottom of it)

Edited by amlu - 09 November 2015 at 11:09pm
CHAMPION View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2015 at 12:30am
Tony ASS has made some nice ones...
Sticks n Stones
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:37am
Made a few more of these since first post. 

Recently got my act together and added rear rack strip and PDU for each rack. Much more tidy now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12