Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arduinos for 12v system control?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:58am
^Exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. I knew I couldn't possibly be the first guy to realise the potential of this thing for 12v applications. 1.08mS from in to out, running what - five bands of stereo EQ, and a 2-way crossover, and some mixer modules? - really ain't too bad. Same as your system being about a foot further away from you Big smile
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:58pm
What I find strange is that, as I see it, he takes the I2S signal from the SGTL5000 chip and use the Cortex M4 processor for calculations when you could instead just program the far more capable built-in DSP in SGTL5000 using the I2C interface. The SGTL5000 datasheet even shows easy to follow programming examples on how to do this. It has a basic stereo space expander, a basic psychoacoustic bass enhancement, 7 band parametric EQ, 5 band graphic EQ, and a basic compander already built-in.

But maybe I'm reading the program he has running on the screen wrong, it is wobbly and poor image quality, and he is actually using the SGTL5000 chip, and not the Cortex M4 itself.

It should be noted that the SGTL5000 is not meant for any even remotely audiophile applications. It has very basic functions and the processing power is limited so output quality could hardly be described as more than "adequate". 

Edited by Saturnus - 28 May 2015 at 1:23pm
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 2:36pm
The SGTL chip does seem to have some capabilities - the bass enhancement would be useful for small systems. But, it can't do proper crossover filters, or delay, and the AVC block can't be configured as a limiter as far as I can see - or am I missing something?
I'm pretty sure the code in the video is running on the Teensy chip, not the SGTL chip. While I could *probably* get the hang of poking hex values down the I2C line to make it sing and dance, I'm no kind of programmer really, so would be hoping to largely stitch together pre-existing open source code in the Arduino environment and zap it to the Teensy via USB to achieve my desired results. A month of going slowly mental in front of an uncooperative command-line interface is not what I have in mind LOL 
As for audio quality, well - if you put a good analogue buffer on the output, I'm sure 16 bit/44.1 k is enough for 99% of users. Just got to make sure that the tiny and probably under-engineered analogue section on the chip itself doesn't have to work too hard.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:02pm
I think you're missing the point here. Red book (or 16bit/44.1khz) is certainly enough for playback. However, any kind of processing will require higher bit rate or bit count or both.

In any case, I think it's an extremely poor and very expensive solution to something that can done much better and for much lower cost using for example a TI5756M chip.

Even if you're not using the amplifier section this gives you a fully and highly capable GUI programmable DSP when paired with a simple low power, low cost µP.

Now, I know there's no actual products available on the market today (that I know of) using it or similar chips from other manufacturers but maybe there are people working on that (hint hint).

The common part about all these though is that they have no analog inputs, they have analog output amplified or bypassed to line level, but the data capture (if any) is handled off chip for example in a bluetooth receiver chip which commonly have a very decent quality stereo ADC built-in and can output digital signal from either the wireless connection, the ADC or in most cases also directly from USB since it can be used as a USB audio device.
Tom Tapey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Tapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

The SGTL chip does seem to have some capabilities - the bass enhancement would be useful for small systems. But, it can't do proper crossover filters, or delay, and the AVC block can't be configured as a limiter as far as I can see - or am I missing something?
I'm pretty sure the code in the video is running on the Teensy chip, not the SGTL chip. While I could *probably* get the hang of poking hex values down the I2C line to make it sing and dance, I'm no kind of programmer really, so would be hoping to largely stitch together pre-existing open source code in the Arduino environment and zap it to the Teensy via USB to achieve my desired results. A month of going slowly mental in front of an uncooperative command-line interface is not what I have in mind LOL 
As for audio quality, well - if you put a good analogue buffer on the output, I'm sure 16 bit/44.1 k is enough for 99% of users. Just got to make sure that the tiny and probably under-engineered analogue section on the chip itself doesn't have to work too hard.

For the price, it is definitely worth having a play with, I think you should lead the way and give us some feedback SmileI suppose the main aim is to add a limiter to Velophonic, so on the other hand perhaps try something different out.

Option 1. Buy car audio bass amplifier with built in crossover and limiter, there is some really good stuff out there now.

Option 2. I built a 2*2 DSP from a module striped out of a unit, you could find a damaged Behringer ultradrive or something similar to keep it cheap, anyhow it's all DC... normally +-15v DC for the analog OpAmps and +5v DC for the digital stuff, chuck in a few lipo cells and off you go, the XLR input is for RS 485. But yes has everything you could ever need to run a soundsystem of any size including very good "limiters".

The chip used in this one i have is this http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/pcatdtl0?ipartno=SAM3716

The whole built unit is using 200mAh, not the most efficient, but it will still run for 8hrs.

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 6:05pm
yeah ultradrive is my plan, as soon when some money comes in will start hunting for one.
hacking its power supply for 12v operation seems quite straight forward, details here:
http://never.net/powersupply/

staying on topic... thats my arduino for system control...

its doing as general purpose multicontroller in the workshop too, equipped with connection for
3x mosfet output, 4 analog inputs/output , 2 digital input/output, 4x i2c bus. i added a 317 regulator, for programming it runs on usb, when in use can feed it some 12v dc.

lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:58pm
Surely a minidsp is a better choice than hacking up an ultradrive?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 12:21am
Right I get you. There's no internal higher bit-depth bus to allow for overs in processing. I'm not sure how that would affect sound quality though? As long as you're careful that none of your EQ or gain boosts clip the internal bus? Camera mic notwithstanding, the audio on the video above isn't *terrible*. I recognise the drivers he's using and they're quite good quality. 
As for cost, well, yes I'm sure the Teensy + audio shield costs a lot compared to the chip you mention which is probably a few pence, but the fact is it's still not $100's, and I really haven't got the expertise to produce my own PCB's for surface-mount devices, so unless the TI chip was available in a similar format to the Teensy (already on a board with all important pins brought out to full-size and some basic power and programming hardware) I wouldn't really be in a position to use it right now. And I do want to finish this project before the end of the summer :)

My colleague's got a Teensy board, so first I'll be working out how to make that do the power sequencing and level metering, then perhaps I'll look into the audio side of it.
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 12:26am
i have a minidsp 2x8. cost me £400. and it sucks :-( control is only mac or windows, need to carry a charged laptop or netbook with windows xp installed just to change some settings,
no way doing control from arduino/potentiometers/linux/android etc.
i can make  a little raspberry pi device for controlling it, with a small screen etc, but no linux support :-(
can get a tablet for control? no, does not work with android either.

got a nice small car audio 3 way crossover, works well but one thing im missing is adjustable high pass filter on the input... 
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 1:27pm
For a 12v application though you wouldn't need the 2x8, the $80 2x4 would be enough & a lot cheaper than even a secondhand DCX. Once you have it set up, how often do you plan to change the DSP settings of a boombox? So only Windows/Mac shouldn't really be an issue.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 1:41pm
I think you can even do multiple presets and program a GPIO to change between them with a push of the button.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 2:01pm
Sure I looked into the MiniDSP when I started building the Mk 1 system two years ago, but quickly concluded that it's vastly overpriced and missing essential features for my application. Technology's moved on since then, I'm quite surprised there haven't been any major improvements to that platform....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>