Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are w bins any good for kicks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 1:06pm
Hey lev , the w bin I had , admittedly the only one iv played with :D ,had no problem getting to 75hz .

It was a single non ported 15 " , sorry don't know the design .
No measurements were taken but my ears told me it was pretty flat to 70hz but started dropping off around there !
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to hear where a cabs response starts dropping off before anyone's says ahh but it wasn't measured haha :)
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 1:08pm
Anyone else care to share there experiences of how low w bins play to and what designs of wbins are better at kick or being an all rounder ??
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 1:26pm
Has anybody else built the one from the eminence design book the dual 15?
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 4:16pm
Isn't the Eminence dual 15 W bin an almost carbon copy of the Court Black Box though?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by matty w matty w wrote:

Anyone else care to share there experiences of how low w bins play to and what designs of wbins are better at kick or being an all rounder ??

Last W-Bins I heard, were roughly based on Eminence design 1x18", but with one port, and hit 60hz effortlessly.

Didn't really measure upper freqs, wish I had thoroughly tested them before selling...Ouch

Edited by levyte357- - 31 May 2015 at 4:20pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Isn't the Eminence dual 15 W bin an almost carbon copy of the Court Black Box though?
I hope so as should kick arse if it is especially 18sound loaded 😊
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 7:00am
"Not sure how many w-bins will do that, without a port."

Heil made another model that went to 64hz, no photo for it though.

A stacked pair of LaScala  would be fine (or built as one piece).

The biufurcation offered in the 'W' bin allows for the dimention in the bends to be smaller, allowing for use to higher frequencies. A one-fold design with a 3" passage width at the bend offers the best utility (IMO).

"My X1 cabs will be running upto around 90hz so am hoping that the w's will roll on around that point and run upto around 4-500hz point "

Do-able with a LaScala varient.

This is a single 15 version with the back volume reduced 30%, a double 15 version with a standard back volume would be what you need.

Edited by _djk_ - 01 June 2015 at 7:10am
djk
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 10:11pm
When using the LaScala up that high what happens to the directivity? Should I just think of it as having dispersion like a conical horn with an angle equal to the flare angle?
Don't test the champignon sound
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2015 at 10:12am
"Should I just think of it as having dispersion like a conical horn with an angle equal to the flare angle?"

Yes.

I probably wouldn't go much over 630hz or so for a crossover point.
djk
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2015 at 10:39am
Thanks, I'm getting quite intrigued by these: popular with hifi bods, high efficiency...   ...sounds like a winner and one to consider for a next build.

Is there some downside I'm missing here other than it not doing very low bass?
Don't test the champignon sound
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2015 at 2:21pm

Hi.

The last 18-inch W-Bin I threw away was good until 60 Hz. If you added Equalisation it would take a nose dive below 45 Hz. Most of the noise came within the 70 - 210 Hz range for a single bin. It was the typical sized W-Bin made in the 1970s by Cerwin Vega. Under today's standards it would be around the same dimensions as Rog's 18" Super Scooper.

Here is the Frequency Response of One Bin measured years ago...

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 02 June 2015 at 2:38pm
Elliot Thompson
flinnt45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flinnt45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 12:28pm
Hi I use 4 x 15 inch fane design sealed chamber W cabs over my x,1,s and am very pleased with them, in fact they are a bit too sensitive if anything, They are loaded with Gauss 4582,s and they really punch, I also cross from sub to Bass at 90hz I cross from Bass to mid at 300hz, use the best plywood you can-Birch, I used 22mm recycled from some furniture, added bracing in the mouth of each side also
JAH Kreator Hi Fi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>