Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back pack boom box help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back pack boom box help
    Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:00pm
I want to build a back pack boom box and am not sure what the best components are.
My budget is £200 and im hoping for responce down to 60hz.
Is this possible?
Would i be better off with multiple smaller drivers or one big driver to achieve my desired frequency and gain maximum efficiency.
Thanks

lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:15pm
It takes more power to make low frequenties. So aiming for 90hz for example will help gain efficiency. Bigger drivers will go lower more easy. I think your post is a bit too 'general' and it would help if you added information you already gathered and more details of your desired goal.
tcourtneyvincent View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:26pm
well if i went for http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JAMBOOMINATORKITE&browsemode=manufacturer in a 60cmx35cmx20cm box for example would i be able achieve my desired Frequency? Im happy to sacrifice some efficiance to get to 60hz. Or would some different drivers be better?

Edited by tcourtneyvincent - 11 December 2013 at 8:26pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:40pm
The Boominator, or in this case a half Boominator (aka Halfinator), is a well documented and well tested design. (I know because it's my design Wink)

The speaker pack you link to at blue aran are the suggested drivers for that exact design.

Several people have built boom box back packs based on this. Read more on the wiki www.boominator.dk or check the facebook page www.facebook.com/theboominator

Apart from the electronics compartment you cannot change the dimensions though. So 30x30x50cm (length can vary slightly depending on battery and amp option but the 2 first are fixed and should not be changed. 50cm in length is with 68mm room for battery).

Edited by Saturnus - 11 December 2013 at 8:43pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:40pm
Look into building a "halfinator", the half of a 'boominator'. Topic of the boominator is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine.html

It's one of the, if not the, best boombox you can make.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

The Boominator, or in this case a half Boominator (aka Halfinator), is a well documented and well tested design. (I know because it's my design Wink)

Several people have built boom box back packs based on this. Read more on the wiki www.boominator.dk or check the facebook page www.facebook.com/theboominator

Apart from the electronics compartment you cannot change the dimensions though. So 30x30x50cm (length can vary slightly depending on battery and amp option but the 2 first are fixed and should not be changed. 50cm in length is with 68mm room for battery).

Yeah i have seen this design a lot but i really want all the speakers pointing one way for partys on the beach e.t.c where i can place the boombox againsed a wall to increase bass response. Also a lot the places the boom box will be used it would be great to be able to direct the sound in a particular direct (so as not to cause nusence to other people e.t.c)
Im also looking for more power than the amp6 so would http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=2590 be a good option?
Last thing, i think... ha, how do i go about spliting the frequencys between the drivers? do i need an x-over?

Edited by tcourtneyvincent - 11 December 2013 at 8:53pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by tcourtneyvincent tcourtneyvincent wrote:

Yeah i have seen this design a lot but i really want all the speakers pointing one way for partys on the beach e.t.c where i can place the boombox againsed a wall to increase bass response. Also a lot the places the boom box will be used it would be great to be able to direct the sound in a particular direct (so as not to cause nusence to other people e.t.c)
Im also looking for more power than the amp6 so would http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=2590 be a good option?

Common misconception. You cannot and do not "direct sound" in one direction by placing the driver on one or the other side. The Boominator is made with the concept in mind that you place the speaker roughly in the middle of the crowd of people that will listen to it so that everyone get a good full sound from very near field which means you don't have to play nearly as loud as when you place it away on the side. Therefore you always disturb less people with a Boominator if we assume the same volume level for the listeners.

Placed in the middle you can also use it for a small table or have solar panels installed in one side (that will be facing up when placed on the ground). 

More power? Have you got any idea how loud a Boominator is?

Edited by Saturnus - 11 December 2013 at 8:59pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:56pm
And IMO, don't look for a 'better' amp than the amp6. The extra power draw will not be worth the extra gain in volume. The halfinator will already be crazy loud with 'only' 15 watts.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:59pm

Originally posted by tcourtneyvincent tcourtneyvincent wrote:

Common misconception. You cannot and do not "direct sound" in one direction by placing the driver on one or the other side. The Boominator is made with the concept in mind that you place the speaker roughly in the middle of the crowd of people that will listen to it so that everyone get a good full sound from very near field which means you don't have to play nearly as loud as when you place it away on the side. Therefore you always disturb less people with a Boominator if we assume the same volume level for the listeners.

Placed in the middle you can also use it for a small table or have solar panels installed in one side (that will be facing up when placed on the ground). 

Ok i see what you are saying, but largly the thing for me is being able to reproduce frquenys down to 60hz as i would be using it for dub a lot of the time. as far as im aware the boominator is only designed to go down to 90hz? Well this was the problem for me with the mini rig which goes down to 100hz, now they have released the sub which i think hits 60hz its perfect!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

And IMO, don't look for a 'better' amp than the amp6. The extra power draw will not be worth the extra gain in volume. The halfinator will already be crazy loud with 'only' 15 watts.

Im not planning on using this thing to only be used for sitting down in a circle. I would also like it to be usable for a very small rig againsed a wall, loud enough for people to dance to. im happy to only have a 3 hour run time to achieve this in these situations.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 9:04pm

The minirig and the boominator is not really comparable in that sense. The bass response is vastly better, and sounds as deep as if not deeper than the minirig + sub. And let's not go into the fact that it plays much much much louder.

I very much suggest you start with a tested and confirmed good design. And that you start with an inexpensive 12V amp. Because it's better to get it right the first time around, and I am confident that you will be amazed by the result, like everyone else.

Edited by Saturnus - 11 December 2013 at 9:07pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 9:08pm
If you compare a minirig plus sub and a boominator side by side, you would grasp the boominator, hold it tight and never let it go Wink (if portability is not concern #1)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>