Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Balanced booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balanced booster
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:05pm
Quick one... I need an online booster for a stereo balanced line setup. The sooner doesn't kick out enough for the amp to play with.

I won't be replacing anything in this set up I just need something that will boost me about 6db or so..... mains supply if possible or wall wart.

It just needs to be stuck online... thrown down the back of the rack where no one can reach it. Job done.

..less then £50 would be nice too!!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:43am
Behringer Ultragain, EQ or composer pro?

A quick look at the 'bay offer lots of options for under £50
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:18am
An eq is a good idea as would give you more overall flexibility. Otherwise just knock up a simple booster with a couple of dual op-amps. There are plenty of circuits online - try the Rod Elliot/ESP site for inspiration:

http://sound.whsites.net/index2.html

Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:58pm
Nice... but I'm looking for something no one can fiddle with... something the size of a DI box I can set at +6db and then hide in the back of the rack where no one can get to it. It's for my bar and the other managers LOVE to fiddle if they can as they THINK they know what they are doing.

I'd rather pay someone to knock up a DIY box that does just this then build myself..

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:15pm
Sounds like you need a big padlock!   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:20pm
...i even use the lock on the rack door but they popped it open as they thought something was wrong and needed to fiddle... I f##king give up sometimes...

Even a huge note emblazoned across the glass door saying "ANY PROBLEMS RING ME!!" To who one guy said "I didn't see it"

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:38pm
That´s friggin´ terrible. Bloody idiots.

I´d offer to make the box for you, but I´m quite busy at the moment - never mind the problem of distance. I´m sure that someone will volunteer...

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:44pm
Would offer, but again way too busy right now. Sorry! Sounds like something that might exist in car audio world and could take a 12v DC supply from an adaptor though?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 12:08am

A nice transformer will give 6dB of gain, can't be messed with, and also has ground-loop isolation.

Edcor (shown) is less than $30.
djk
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 12:10am
Passive and would slip inbetween 1u of rack?... and in the UK?

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:58pm
I'm pretty sure you can buy transformers in the UK Big smile Get yourself a bit of stripboard, couple of screw terminals, and make your own version. 10 mins work.
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 1:50am
Can you share a link to where this nice pcb with transformers come from?
£50   budget?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>