Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Balanced output phase( 1 for the techs)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balanced output phase( 1 for the techs)
    Posted: 26 July 2014 at 10:36am
Hi all :) ....
      What I'm trying or hoping to achieve is to obtain two out of phase signals from the sub output of my dsp so I can send two signals 180 degrees out of phase to bridge an amp that wouldn't normally be used in such a manner .
I understand pin 1 is ground and pin 2 and 3 are signal out of phase with each other !? Unfortunately my dsp hasn't got the ability to change the phase on it's outputs in it's programming or I'd just do that.

I should add I appreciate the potential for failure to the amp I'm trying to bridge as it's manufacturer /designer Hasn't implemented this feature but as it's a relitively cheap piece of equipment and I like to play I'm willing to take the risk .
Iv done the same with amps in the past with solid results using the output of a dcx , unfortunately my dcx is in England and I'm in Australia and I now have a dbx driverack pa .

Anyone??? :)
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Spartan Audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 10:46am
Get a soldering iron out and swap positive and negative on one of the output patch cables.
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 10:53am
So your saying it's a technically sound move? Pin 1 is ground , pin 2 is live in phase and   pin 3 is live 180 degrees out of phase with pin 2! ?

It's also worth mentioning I'll be sending signals to unbalanced input on amp but can't see how this would make any difference , providing 1 Channel gets ground and pin 2 and the other gets ground and pin 3 !

I suppose I should class pin 3 as out of phase and use the positive speaker output of this channel as negative !?

Again I suppose it's kinda irrelivent as long as both channels that are being bridged are out of phase and the speaker running off the amp matches in phase with rest of the system

Edited by matty w - 26 July 2014 at 10:55am

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 11:48am
What you reckon spartan ?

Anyone else care to elaborate ? Cheers

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 12:15pm
Plenty of ways to do this - easiest may be to swap the polarity on one of the amp inputs - ie swap 2 and 3 around.

Otherwise, here´s a few circuits:

You only need one half of these - they swap both L & R - for bridge just swap one:

Or to simplify:

Or even simpler:

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 12:51pm
Jaycar make a kit for bridging amps like that
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:03pm
Well I done as I said I would after lots more reading and prior to the latest comments I mite add and everything seems to be working fine , double power from amp with no excessive heat build up or funny smells .

I understand the circuit diagram but fail to understand the importance of the need for said components ?

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:06pm
How did you do it then?

Which components are you talking about? Without the components, circuit won´t work!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:19pm
When I say I understand the circuit diagram , I mean I have a very basic idea of what the symbols mean , not what the circuit is actually doing .
I shared the ground ( pin 1) of the left (mono) sub output of the dsp with the ground on two seperate rca cables . Then I wired the live on let's say Rca cable (a) to (pin 2) on the sub out and wired the live on rca cable (b) to (pin 3) on the sub out .
Rca cable (a) went to left rca input on amp .
Rca cable (b) went to right rca input on amp .

Speaker was wired to both positive terminals on the left and rite channel of amp !

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:22pm
The circuits are just a fancy way of doing what you already have done above.  Smile

Don´t worry about it - you´ve already got it sussed.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:32pm
Thankyou bro but still lol , what's the purpose of all those resistors?...... Intrigued!

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:36pm
They set the gain for the opamps and input/output impedence of the circuit.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>