Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baracuda Pre-Amps & Power Amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baracuda Pre-Amps & Power Amps
    Posted: 16 January 2007 at 7:06pm
Any builders out there that can repair Baracuda Pre-Amps & Power Amps ?

I got a call from a guy who said his mate picked up a 2,000watt amp & it's clipping with the volume at quarter mark, & it's playing like his other Baracuda pieces.

As rumour has it that he no longer builds anymore, some have even gone as far to say that he's gone mad.

The latter could be right because me & a mate of mine saw him bang up one of his own pre's years ago in his workshop. I had brought along a JTS pre along with me as well as one of his own pre's.

Put his one on the work surface, & luckily had the JTS one standing up right next to me.

All I said at the time was that his pre hummed when it was switched on when no music was playing (no stylus on the vinyl) & that the JTS one didn't.

As soon as I mentioned Jah Tubbys name, he just lost the plot there & then & started cussing & banging up the pre. Spoke for a little bit longer then left.

ILuvDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILuvDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 7:51pm
Let's hope he hasn't done either. He's the 3rd party we all need! Barracuda come to bring balance to the force.
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 10:27pm
about two years ago in a workshop far far away (unless you live in east london).....

Baraccuda retired

It's no rumour.

Are you sure there's something wrong with the amp. "volume ata quarter mark" doesn't mean a thing. It's all relative to the input signal

And while I'm at it - why do so many of you beieve that you can't get the full power out of an amp unless the volume control is at maximu

You're mates name isn't chris is it?
Maskaram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maskaram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 2:28am
I think Colin Bird may be able to help with the barracuda, you can try mailing him at colin@microphonic.biz

One Love
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 5:20am

Originally posted by mskeete mskeete wrote:

Are you sure there's something wrong with the amp. "volume ata quarter mark" doesn't mean a thing. It's all relative to the input signal

And while I'm at it - why do so many of you beieve that you can't get the full power out of an amp unless the volume control is at maximu

You're mates name isn't chris is it?

I'm not too sure as I ain't seen it or tested it myself, it's someone else's.

I'm not even sure of his name, I just know him as a dread from west.

Originally posted by Maskaram Maskaram wrote:

I think Colin Bird may be able to help with the barracuda, you can try mailing him at colin@microphonic.biz One Love

Thanks for that Maskaran, I'll let you know the outcome.

Sunil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 5:23am
I learned from mskeete that you dont need to turn up your amp full gain to get sufficient power out of it. 3/4 or half will be good and i complained of a horrible hissing sound from my amps. Turned them down slightly and now no hissing. Cheers Mark.
russ d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 8:20am

tubbys tells me, with his amps at least, that there`s no point in not turning up the amps to full... maybe its the way he`s designed his amps to run, but i always operated that way, and still when playing out on other sounds look to run that way, especially for bass... maybe if you had a big powered amp but had`nt the speakers to match then you`d need to back the volume off for safety... with tops amp there`d also be an exception `cause they need far less power... a next exception might be for midrange if the sound is running a 3 way pre-amp but has 4 way amp and speakers, so some balance might be needed via the amps there, usually in one section at least... but same as tubbs i`ve always been an advocate of controlling the sound via the pre-amp, its what its built to do. when i had my sound i had 2 x 2k piece of jts for bass and a 1k piece for mids, small by todays standards but it used to thump out still, but always had those amps fully up, never had much of a problem with hiss, except on the tops but read on for that....

yeah barracuda retired a couple years back, it shocked a couple of barracuda users i know, worried about servicing and such, but as mentioned i think colin can get things sorted if neccesary... back in `90 when i was looking to get my sound together i also heard stories of him mashing pre-amp if there was something not right about it, then starting from scratch... it made me avoid him directly, though i was (permanantly) lent one of his and ran that on my sound, it was about 11 years old when i got it then but i liked it, liked the hi tops eq, mid parmatric eq, twin bass etc, i believe he stopped the hi tops eq in the latter years, it can be quite hissy and newer sounds were looking for cleaner quality... that pre-amp is something like 27 years old now and is suffering a bit, cant really run it.

Disciples on I-Tunes.

Disciples on Bandcamp: http://russdisciples.bandcamp.com/

Facebook: russ disciple

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sargantbrown?feature=mhum
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 11:18am

My main point was that you can play your amps on half or full or whatever and still control everything from the preamp but the available power is the same (unlessyou set the volume way too low).

Most amps are designed so that they only need around a 1 volt of input to deliver maximum power and most preamps can easily deliver 10 volts before they start to distort.

My main reason for not automatically playing an amp at full volume is to optomise SNR
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 11:35am
I've noticed in the past I had to run my amps at full gain or my mixer would reach clipping too early when pushed up, to achieve louder volume.

hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 12:50pm

Ive been playing around with the idea recently alot ..I found that it depended on the gain from the apparatus that came before the amp.By turning them up or down effected the gain possition on the amp ...........But i havnt yet been able to get more out of the amp just because it was turned up full ......

Ofcourse i cannot say what is better only what MSKEETE told me is very true .The amp gain certainly does nt have to be full to achieve full volume....

king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 1:29pm

hello to everyone on the forum!

nice discussions all around here!

talking bout amps...

lots of people say play on full, some say dont.

i usually play full and adjust the gains if the amp clips

id like to know if there some difference regarding impedance, something like 8ohm stereo play full......but if its 4 ohm stereo or 8 ohm mono/4 ohm mono........

i have to buy some amps so any info is welcome

thanks
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 7:33pm
@Tekasis
When I asked about your friends name I meant the friend you went to baracudda's with
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>