Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baracuda Pre-Amps & Power Amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 11:05am
Originally posted by mskeete mskeete wrote:

I have one like it but without that small switch
The ones I seen with a switch was to be able to change modes & either use the amp in either bass mode or mid/top mode. Any idea how that worked ? (Pre-amp or power amp builders)
I don't see those ideas anymore!!!
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 9:00pm
not completely sure how that was done I've always prefered amps that played flat and full range.

The one that I have is strictly bass even if you feed it a full range signal
He filtered the input at around 100Hz

I'd have to have a closer look (got a 2k piece siting in the 'museum' but no time) but I think that switch also adjusted the switching frequency of the main amp
sliverr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sliverr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2007 at 11:55pm
error

Edited by sliverr - 05 January 2008 at 1:19pm
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 7:35pm
What's happened to the owner of the Baracuda amp above ''Sliverr'' ? All I can see is error everywhere he has posted!
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
championdrei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote championdrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 8:02am
I never play my amps on full, to me it just gets louder and the bass sounds harder and the sound loses that sweet sound to it.

Learn how to control your sound via the Control tower... Once you master this, you'll hear the difference.

My Amps are usually quater of the way up, not even half and it fill up big hall and stuff same way with some heavy b line.

Its not about power to me it's. About how you play your set and the quality of it.

I've gone dance with little 500w amp playing bass and kill sound with it running 3000w.

Nowadays to me all sound man think of is power and how loud the sound can get, seen nuff sound running like 1 Amp per box and stuff, it's. All not needed imo coming like people forget how to play sound. To me sounds used to sound better back in the days than they do now.

As for the barracuda tops when you say hissing are you talking about the knob just under the tops switch? Fazer knob. To me barracuda has the crisses tops I've ever heard you just need to know how to play it. Every other pre amp maker to me their tops sound like normal tops but when you hear barracuda his tops have a different sound to it
respect
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by mskeete mskeete wrote:

My main point was that you can play your amps on half or full or whatever and still control everything from the preamp but the available power is the same (unlessyou set the volume way too low).

Most amps are designed so that they only need around a 1 volt of input to deliver maximum power and most preamps can easily deliver 10 volts before they start to distort.

My main reason for not automatically playing an amp at full volume is to optomise SNR

yes that's a difficult point to explain..... Friend of mine had his amps turned to "11". Problem was that the signal from his preamp (forgot which builder, one of the big name UK man) was too hot. He couldn't turn the bass output control on the preamp past 9 o clock LOL  Eventually they decided to turn the power amp gain controls down Smile

+22 dBu is 10V  innit?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123