Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass speakers for an event

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray-j-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass speakers for an event
    Posted: 15 September 2016 at 12:00am
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the S-Team. (S being speaker... as in the members of this forum who seem to be speaker gods from what i have read)

anyway, joking aside.... id like to point out straight of the bat that I'm a lighting technician, the most experience i really have with speakers is my surround sound in my room. and yet I'm now being asked to source enough bass speakers to fill a medium school auditorium on a shoestring budget...
basically, I'm running events at my school (year 11) in the hall (floor space: 11m x 19m approx..) and i need to source some speakers, new, used, anything. i have found a pair of Wharfdale EVP-X15B's while the moneys right, i have no real idea whether they would be adequate. it only really matters that i fill about 3/4 of the hall from the front with a basic rumble from the speakers.

oh and to make matters more complicated (to me anyway, this is probably to you like doing 1+1 is for me), i need to also get an amplifier for them. which of course i have no ideas about either.

the information i can tell you (which is all that i know) is that the room has installed 4x wharfdale pro titan 12"/15" (cannot remember which) speakers, they are running of amps mounted on a small flight case the school mainly uses as an exam desk/writing table/drinks bar, basically a table.
anyway, i do not know what amps the school use unfortunately, but to my knowledge they only have enough ones to power these four speakers.
the type of music we would be playing is 99% hard style (same type of music (if not the same music) as they play at the Defqon.1 festival) and it is all recorded/digitally created.

so is there anyone here who could give me some information, in case you don't realise my knowledge is in the lighting side of things and i have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to speakers other than what sounds good and what doesn't in terms of volumes.
Ray-j-17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray-j-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 12:00am
I will try and find out what types of amps they use/have tomorrow, as I'm expecting that will be pretty important.
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 12:38am
A pair or 2 of 15" or 18" reflex boxes should do the job, depends on how much rumble your after.

You will also need to budget for a crossover, something like a Behringer Ultradrive

or a DB Mark processor 
(bee on this forum in the man to speak to about these)

Maybe hire in some equipment (from someone local Wink) for your next event to get a idea for what you need to do the job to your satisfaction.

Also, depending on where your wharfdale cabs are placed it would also be a good idea to time aline everything to keep the sound coherent.

In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
Ray-j-17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray-j-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 1:10am
I think my venue already has one of those... I'm more concerned about the price of an amp for now... its school kids after all, and I don't mean nerdy ones like me but more the kind who aren't going to notice that there's a 5 millisecond delay on the left front bass speaker

I had looked in to hiring stuff but the only (semi) local business I could find's smallest system which included a bass speaker was £250, I'm only getting £1 from entry fees and even if I got half the school id only be making -£100 profit when I add on the cot of hiring the lighting... I don't mind paying over the odds for lighting (for personal reasons... I could explain if needs be but its gone 1 in the morning right now and I cannot be bothered ) but when it comes to sound I just need something that would suffice...
Ray-j-17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray-j-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 1:11am
while I'm on the subject of timings (just re-read your reply), due to the lengths of cable going to the built in speakers, the delay on the subs shouldn't be a problem. they all have about the same distance of cabling.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 6:56am
I think he was talking about the physical positions of the speakers in respect to time-delaying them, speaker lead length play a pretty negligible role in alignment of speakers when you consider the speed of an electron compared to the speed of sound
:)
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 8:25am
Edit : ooops

Edited by Pinyorouk - 16 September 2016 at 8:26am
Ray-j-17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray-j-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 1:39am
oh, right...

as I said at the beginning of this I have no idea about anything in this realm :-P

but yeah... back to the point... I'm still wondering what amps to use... I mean this is a thing for teenage kids... I don't think thy are going to notice that there's a millisecond delay on music they've (probably) never heard before...
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 8:37am
FInd a pair of used JBL JRX 125 on ebay. Thats the 2x15 ones, pay up to 200

Look on the Wanted Section of here under 3 amps wanted, the Deja Ibiza post has a T&M amp 700w a side for 175quid, ask him for some leads :)
Now you need a mixer or music source, NOT directly into amp

As an upgrade later
Call Blue Aran and buy 2 x Beyma CD10 fe compression drivers and screw adapters, swap them out for the JBL ones and sell them on eBay

One kids PA system, no crossovers, no hassle for 400 quid

Edited by nickyburnell - 19 September 2016 at 8:37am
It's everything, not everythink!
Ray-j-17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray-j-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 9:08pm
unfortunately that's a bit out of my budget... my budget (was) about £300. and I already had the mid ranges/high ranges installed in the venue with amps and I have a mixer already there, in fact I have choice of quite a few (cheap) ones...

anyway, I looked around and couldn't see any that caught my attention, and when they did they were either too far away or too expensive. so I ended up having to buy (and please don't eat me alive hear for my poor choice :-P) some peavey HiSys 118XT's. got a pair of used ones for £141.39 and I'm picking them up some time this week.

I'm hoping since they aren't too powerful I can use a cronw amplifier my venue owns for now to run them. I asked and they said that if I could figure out the cabling another cabinet up to the main one I could do it (as if they didn't think I would have to do it anyway with my own speakers :3). i can only remember it being a crown *800 amp, with gold text and no real decorational value... i guestimated it at being a crown XLI 800. does it matter that it would be 50wRMS less powerful than the speakers rating (100 rms peak lower)? or is that going to cause me issues?
Ray-j-17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray-j-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 9:08pm
sorry for my grammar there :-P, meant crown, not whatever the heck that word was :3
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 9:44pm
Where are you located? You may find someone that might help out on here with a dry hire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>