Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C 12PE32 VS 18 SOUNDS 12ND710

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3SOUNDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&C 12PE32 VS 18 SOUNDS 12ND710
    Posted: 16 March 2008 at 11:39pm
I'm gonna be building some sort of horn loaded mid enclosures quite soon and need to purchase some good quality 12" drivers. I'm looking to get as much clarity and clear mid i can get out of the drivers at the price. The 2 contenders i've come up with are:

b&c 12pe32
18 sounds 12nd710

I've got no way of hearing these drivers before i purchase them but both have there plus points on paper, so is there anybody who has any experience with these drivers that can point me in the right direction of which one is the better driver or which one i should purchase.

Much appreciated
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 11:45pm
I think Mykey likes the 12PE32. B&C drivers are certainly easier to get hold of in the UK than 18 Sound.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 11:51pm
how would either one of these fair in a high tuned reflex cab? say 150Hz?
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 12:06am
Put them into WinISD and find out! :)
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 12:28am
The 12ND710 works nicely in my reflex cabs but tuned to more like 65Hz.  Tuning that high will only screw up the phase response etc.  I would never tune a reflex cab above about 80Hz and that's very high IMO.

Big difference between those two drivers is the weight!  Otherwise they are both very capable for midrange duties.

Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Wrighty Wrighty wrote:

Put them into WinISD and find out! :)

I'm on my GFs PC. She humors me cruising this site till all hours, don't think she'd appreciate me installing random stuff tho! I'll check when I get home 2moro.

Thanks for the advice about tuning cerharden.

Edited by Jhodas - 17 March 2008 at 12:48am
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 1:18am
What sort of cab are you planning? There are a lot of very nice bass-mid 12" drivers around.
3SOUNDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3SOUNDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 1:30pm
I'm currently looking at horn loaded midrange cabs, with designs being similar to the mt121. I've already contacted noise control audio and they can definetly get me the 18 sound drivers.
Everyone who has brought the 12pe32's seems to rate them very highly and say there more clear sounding then any other 12" driver they have heard at the price. This was fine and i was about to place my order until i heard that the 12nd710 is also a highly reccomended driver aswell in this league, and looking on the website it has very good spec also, and that neo magnet will make it lighter but it is more expensive.
The main thing is the sound quality, it would be ideal if there is someone who's heard both drivers and can point me in the right direction. Will there be a major difference in sound quality, volume etc between the 2 drivers. And also will the power handling on the 12pe32 be an issue.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 2:00pm
You must take into consideration the efficiency figure when you look at the power handling power of a speaker.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 3SOUNDS 3SOUNDS wrote:

I've already contacted noise control audio and they can definetly get me the 18 sound drivers.

NCA are the guys who sorted out my 18Sound drivers too quickly. Brilliant topic. Will help me finally decide on mid drivers.

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 4:58pm
i have got 4 of these 12pe32 in Tony`s old skool ASS mid horns,and they are excellent,very efficient,nice crisp sound.
Be seeing you.
3SOUNDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3SOUNDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 10:02pm
Anyone else
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>